1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/8/13 1:15 a.m.

I've been pouring over Chicago CL. These things are cheap! I know they are mostly suspension and wheels. Suspension info is hard to come by.

Can I assume 15" Mini-lite style wheels, Dakota lowering springs and/or drop spindles, lowering shackles, and monster sway bars? Are there coil over options?

Any links?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/8/13 1:22 a.m.

just do it... sometimes it's better to not know what the "rules" are when you are building a car..

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/8/13 1:36 a.m.

Never thought of it that way. What the hell, it should work, right?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/8/13 6:14 a.m.

I hope you do this. Take pictures and notes.

Here is a link about Dakota stuff on the van: Dakota lowering on van

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/8/13 7:46 a.m.

I think if you're really going for a JDM style build, look for Watanabe wheels, although it may take some digging since I don't think they are regularly sold in the US.

edit: whew... be warned... it looks like they aint cheap.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
10/8/13 7:52 a.m.

Love me some Dajiban. Looks awesome on a 90's vintage Dodge Van with the flush headlights. I'd go dark grey with black steelies, maybe some brightly colored trick suspension bits. Make sure it gets a roll cage, too. You know, 'cuz race van.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
10/8/13 8:38 a.m.

Yeah, I normally don't like stuff like this, but dajibans are cool. I would look up what USAF or other motor pool vans from that era looked like, and copy the color scheme and markings.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
10/8/13 9:01 a.m.

For the not so cool kids, what is Dajiban ?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/13 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

(90s?) Dodge van, done up Japanese style.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/13 9:15 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I think if you're really going for a JDM style build, look for Watanabe wheels, although it may take some digging since I don't think they are regularly sold in the US.

IIRC there are a couple of companies that sell them in the US, but I can't find the links at the moment.

Ian F wrote: edit: whew... be warned... it looks like they aint cheap.

Like most high quality Japanese wheels...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/13 9:25 a.m.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/8/13 9:43 a.m.

Do it! I've been talking about this for a couple of years now, never opened up the garage space for a big big vehicle.

I'll help!

D_Howard
D_Howard Reader
10/8/13 9:59 a.m.

Detailed build thread please!

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
10/8/13 10:03 a.m.

I love these things. What power train options did this vintage Dodge van have? Like could you build a decent and cool tow vehicle for 5000-6000 lb towing?

And here's a link to a build in progress with some lowering info.

Dajiban build

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/8/13 12:19 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Like most high quality Japanese wheels...

Well yeah... but when I'm used to seeing Panasports at $280 ea, seeing Wanatabe's at over $600 ea (not a set, EACH), took me a little off guard...

They do have that classic JDM look, though, if that's what you're going after. The Konig Rewind in moderate off-sets is close in appearance, but the widest I found was 7". For a dajiban, I'd figure on at least 8" if not 9". I saw a couple of Wanatabe's in 15x12". All on eBay, tho...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/8/13 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/8/13 9:01 p.m.

I'd use cragar soft 8s in 17x8 personally

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
10/8/13 9:26 p.m.

I have a set of silver 15x7 Basset DOT's for my B-van. They are sitting on the shelf at the shop. Haven't had time to down the van long enough to get the tires mounted and balanced. Also need to do something about the lug nuts.

This is the shop van:

I've been thinking more about doing something more '70's US Domestic than Dajiban with it though.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/8/13 9:28 p.m.

I've always wondered: where the heck were they getting what would seem to be a huge supply (for a country they were never sold in) of Dodge Vans in Japan?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/8/13 9:29 p.m.

retired USAF and USN vans.

alex
alex UberDork
10/8/13 9:41 p.m.

In for the build thread! I've wanted to do one of these for a while. Much as I love the utility of my truck, I also miss having a van. And hell, my shop can use it - it'll be a business expense!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/13 10:20 p.m.

Wasn't motomoron looking for a van to replace his dead taco?

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
10/8/13 10:47 p.m.

How many motorcycles can fit in the back of one of those? I might have found my company vehicle as well!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/8/13 11:13 p.m.

I believe JDM Legends in Salt Lake City is now a US supplier of Watanabe wheels. As weird as this is, it's definitely cool! I wasn't aware of the "Dodge vans in Japan" thing!

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/9/13 7:01 a.m.

Would it be easier to do with an Astro? Aren't they basically S10s anyway? Judging by the number of modified S10s I see around here, the suspension parts are all readily available, it seems.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UqQwufLWlBAV1FeABSWqC3MznR3auNoWjJDi6TpexpFWQzXOgKm3jlpn2L7iTuIa