1 2
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/1/15 12:34 p.m.

For not being your standard Internet forum trolls/naysayers. Still toying with the idea of vortec 28/2900 swapping SWMBO S-10 instead of rebuilding the 2.2 slug that's in it currently.

While digging thru the interwebz looking for information on the target motor and its ability to take boost I've had to dig through page after page of "just swap a v8" or "it's not worth it, you won't ever get more than 275hp" etc. Feels like a massive waste of time, and it makes me appreciate you all that much more. So, THANK YOU!

dropstep
dropstep Reader
2/1/15 12:42 p.m.

while im a fan of sbc swapped s10's I like this forum for seeing things that are different then what I see in real life and on the normal drag racing forums im a member of. my s10 is 2.2 powered and I can agree on the slug part of that!

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
2/1/15 12:44 p.m.

There are no trolls here. And if f there are, they have learned that it is far more entertaining to enable than it is to dis!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/15 12:55 p.m.

I would much rather enable someone's bad ideas.

Opti
Opti Reader
2/1/15 1:01 p.m.

The fact that I keep trying to talk someone into swapping a quad 4 into a mid engine car is proof that there are no bad ideas on grm.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/1/15 1:46 p.m.
Jay_W wrote: There are no trolls here. And if f there are, they have learned that it is far more entertaining to enable than it is to dis!

The trolls here are the guys who are all "Yeah, that would be AWESOME!!!" and then laugh from the sidelines.

I figure this is why every Biturbo on Craigslist gets posted here.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/1/15 2:34 p.m.

the easy swaps are the ones that actually get done: if you have to ask how to swap a certain engine in or what's involved in putting a turbo onto something, then the swap is probably over your talent level and it will die a slow death over a period of years in your garage.

but a V8 swap is a well known and easy way to get power in something.. that almuminum 5.3 with factory installed LS6 heads that i have sitting out in the garage would motivate something like an S10 very well with minimal work and do it while adding minimal weight.

Spinout007
2/1/15 3:31 p.m.

The low end torque of the lsx swap worries me, especially with the possibility of us moving to the mountains and snow. If it was mine it probably would have already been done, the 2.2 is a dog in every way. Since it's her truck, and she has no desire to get rid of it, she's given me to parameters of it still has to get her from point A to B reliably, still get 25-30mpg, and be just as cheap to get parts for. (So I can keep fixing it)

Personally I would like to keep it fairly factory looking, fuel injected, stone cold reliable, and quiet. It's not a race car, it's mostly an appliance. With the 2.2, sport package and step side bed it rarely even gets used as a truck, more like a purse.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
2/1/15 4:18 p.m.

It'll be more power with better balance (especially braking) with room to work on it. Your tranny won't 'splode either. Torque is highly overrated in snow.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/1/15 5:21 p.m.

The Atlas 2.8/2.9 are stout motors. Even with a decent exhaust, and a tune you'll make 200 hp, and that's lot's of power for an S10

Spinout007
2/1/15 5:22 p.m.

Now that I've successfully threadjacked my own thread... Boost > naturally aspirated @ Higher elevations anyway right?

@Zomby that was my thought for the swap to begin with. The fact that IIRC the exhaust manifold is on the passenger side got me thinking a T3/T4 China charger would be fun to run low boost levels using something like a voodoo box or arm fic to add some additional fuel.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/1/15 5:30 p.m.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/forced-induction/129650-2-8l-2-9l-turbo-kits-sale-maybe.html

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/1/15 6:09 p.m.

I'm a troll but I've been in recovery

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/1/15 7:03 p.m.

I'm putting a 4.8l with a 5-speed into my 2.2l S10 right now, but would love to take an Atlas S10 for a drive.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/15 7:29 p.m.

I love the idea of the V6 for the S10. While I hate my Malibu, I am fairly impressed with the power the 3500 has... which is about the only good thing about that car

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
2/1/15 7:47 p.m.

One of the guys on the Saturn forums has a ~300hp LSJ swapped S10. Doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Spinout007
2/2/15 7:54 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: http://www.355nation.net/forum/forced-induction/129650-2-8l-2-9l-turbo-kits-sale-maybe.html

Thanks... now I'll never get any work done today.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/2/15 12:11 p.m.

There are a few guys on there who've turbo'd their Atlas motors. I have a supercharger off a 3.8 Regal. I've been thinking about going that route in a few years.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/2/15 12:22 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: For not being your standard Internet forum trolls/naysayers. Still toying with the idea of vortec 28/2900 swapping SWMBO S-10 instead of rebuilding the 2.2 slug that's in it currently. While digging thru the interwebz looking for information on the target motor and its ability to take boost I've had to dig through page after page of "just swap a v8" or "it's not worth it, you won't ever get more than 275hp" etc. Feels like a massive waste of time, and it makes me appreciate you all that much more. So, THANK YOU!

I'd look into LSJ/LNF engines before that big 4 pot in the colorado/canyon.

Spinout007
2/2/15 1:07 p.m.

The size of those big 4 pots is what I'm looking at. Some of the colorado/canyon trucks run 3.42 gears in the rear diff. That tells me that they make enough torque to roll down the highway in high gear turning less than 3000+rpm and get ~27mpg. The guy with the turbo setup Zomby linked above claims he's getting 30. That's in a much bigger truck than the S10. Theoretically I should be able to easily match that with a driveline swap from a totaled canyon/colorado. I would have to measure and look at mounting for the rear, but all else 10 bolt gear sets are not that expensive. Getting everything to talk to S10 dash could be fun, might have to bring the dash with the drivetrain.

Though they're still talking about mail order PCM tunes... Really? I mean I thought those days were long gone. In this day and age of everything being in the palm of your hand or on your laptop you would think they would have a better answer than mail order.

LSJ/LNF would require an adapter or sourcing something with rwd and an ecotec. Solstice/sky I think?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
2/2/15 1:19 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: LSJ/LNF would require an adapter or sourcing something with rwd and an ecotec. Solstice/sky I think?

The S10 was made with an Ecotec toward the end of its life. Putting a different Ecotec in should be very easy. As a bonus it means with the right computer/gauges it will talk to all your gauges and you can tune with HP tuners.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/15 2:05 p.m.

No, the S-10 did not have an Ecotech engine. The 2.2 used there was a pushrod engine.

The Atlas 4 would be a neat swap, I'd use the Colorado trans too, should make things a bit easier.

The idea of a Ecotech super or turbo swap sounds interesting. The Solstice/Sky engine and trans would be easiest. The Colorado and Solstice use the same trans so that bell housing and a Colbalt engine?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
2/2/15 3:10 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: No, the S-10 did not have an Ecotech engine. The 2.2 used there was a pushrod engine.

Doh. I could've sworn the last 2 years were Ecotecs. But you're right. They are different, but still a version of the old 2.2 turd.

Spinout007
2/2/15 4:22 p.m.

yep... Turd is definitely one way to say it. it has NO business in a truck with an auto.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/2/15 4:32 p.m.

The normal Colorado 5 spd has either 3.42, or 3.73 gears and tire sizes accordingly. They roll down the hwy at 2000 RPM. With a few mods, and 4.10 gear mine easily gets 30 MPG and I don't drive it lightly.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-woofs-2o11-colorado/73901/page1/

190 lb/ft torque at 2800 RPM stock.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UYIQwx72ZtpYdjENPTqqXKUwblKPACTxI2byNeZQYGuuisV0a2iudtacSeMReiWG