1 2
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
12/19/15 1:55 p.m.

So Mrs. Zero told me to get a welder

The budget of $400 points me squarely at Eastwood 135 MIG ($265 shipped) + plus all the goodies cart, helmet, gloves, gas, etc). The primary use (at this time) small brackets, exhaust work, small body panel repair and engine mount brackets. I'm pretty sure I can find other things to make as well.

Any other options??

• CL = hit or miss in that price range. The good stuff disappears quickly. If I do find a welder, I wouldn't be able to test it (since I've never welded anything before)
  • Haven't visited the local pawn shops. (See above in regards to testing)
  • HF 180 Mig can be had at the same price (220v is in the garage) as the Eastwood 135.

What say ye??

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/19/15 2:02 p.m.

Name brand tools I prefer.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
12/19/15 2:10 p.m.

The Eastwood has more amp control resolution than the HF 180 (10 over 135 amps vs 6 over 180), it will be more controllable on sheet metal. 135 should be enough for what you want to do, you can probably go up to about 1/8" in one pass. The only bad thing about 120 volt welders is they do not tolerate subpar wiring very well, a dedicated 20 amp circuit is preferred.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/19/15 2:13 p.m.

You'll like the Eastwood welder. They've got a decent warranty, probably better than the HF. Mine has served me well.

You'll not get all those accessories for $100, though. The gas will cost you more than that if you get a new bottle. Maybe you can a used bottle and save some $.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
12/19/15 2:13 p.m.

My local welding supply gets skids of nascar demo welders that they sell for a discount with all new accessories and full warranty. Picked mine up for $500. Not bad for a Miller 180C. Big box stores sell a similar model with cheaper parts on it but the internal electronics are the same.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
12/19/15 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

The dedicated circuit is no problem. There are two dedicated 220v outlets in the garage. An electrician can assist with converting them over.

old_
old_ Reader
12/19/15 2:42 p.m.

look into the everlast 140 mig

Raze
Raze UltraDork
12/19/15 2:44 p.m.

I've got a 220v HF and it's been fine for me but I'm not a pro, I wanted to learn. If I had to do it over again I'd have stepped up to an Eastwood or Miller. That being said, I've had both HF and others accessories and the HF are just as good for a fraction of the price. If I was a pro I'd likely have a different opinion, but sometime you just have to jump in and find what works for you

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/15 2:55 p.m.

You might hit the pawn shops. I paid about $200 for my Hobart 140. Take cash and offer half of what they have it marked and offer to pay the tax.

Other than that, the Eastwood sounds like a pretty good machine.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
12/19/15 3:02 p.m.

If you can stretch the budget I'd really recommend this

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200631881_200631881?hotline=false

I work with some amazing welders and they recommended it. You can do mig stick tig and aluminum so the flexibility is awesome

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/19/15 4:06 p.m.

I'd check CL every day for a couple of weeks and be ready to strike fast if something good pops up. A MIG welder is on my want list for the near future too.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
1/6/16 6:23 p.m.

Still have to get some shielding gas. Heading to the metal man this weekend to get some scrap to start practicing!!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/6/16 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

Nice. Took me a little gumption to actually do it the first time.

When you are getting gas at the weld store, ask them for a quick demo. It will help your confidence. But once will do it. I love welding now.

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
1/6/16 7:11 p.m.

Your local community college might offer a short 6 week welding course, basically a crash course and for hobby welding it's a great foundation.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/6/16 9:21 p.m.

That's what I did. Gave me confidence and experience. However, I have found that each and every welder acts different. I personally can't weld worth a damn with dad's welder, but am fairly ok with my $89 harbor freight Flux core. I guess it is what you get used to.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
1/6/16 9:28 p.m.

And two shall become one.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/16 10:01 p.m.

Oh, and if you haven't gotten one with the kit, I'd go to harbor freight and grab one of their auto-darkening welding helmets. My (medicore at best!) welding quality improved drastically when I switched to that from the nod & pray bucket.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
1/6/16 10:32 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane:

Got it the auto darkening helmet a day before the welder was delivered

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
1/6/16 11:00 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

I may enroll after Mrs. Zero is done with school.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/16 11:41 p.m.

Welding is fun. Once you get over the sparks and noise or should I say get use to it you can concentrate on the puddle and the fusing of the metal pieces. Then it gets real fun.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/7/16 12:06 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: you can concentrate on the puddle and the fusing of the metal pieces.

The auto darkening helmet is great for this, you can tweak the darkness to perfection, allowing you to SEE the puddle.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/16 6:33 a.m.

Keep a fire extinguisher and a squirt bottle of water nearby. It's amazing how fires appear in random places when you first start welding. If you give a damn about your coiffure, don't forget a hat or dew-rag. Don't weld on stuff you've cleaned with brake cleaner. And the #1 thing I learned from GRM is that you can't weld dirt, rust, paint, air, seam sealer, etc...only metal.

Other than that, you just have to start practicing. I watched the ~45min video that came with the Hobart 140 and then just started hacking away at some scrap. Fun times.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/16 7:05 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: And the #1 thing I learned from GRM is that you can't weld dirt, rust, paint, air, seam sealer, etc...only metal.

I see SOMEONE hasn't had to fix their Chrysler before.. I really think this should be amended to "you can't weld x,x,x WELL." I've done it, and it's held, but it's never been pretty :)

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/16 7:15 a.m.

I think the trick is to weld a patch OVER the rust and the air. But I'm not qualified to speak on it, because we don't have rust here in the south...not real rust, anyway.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/7/16 7:23 a.m.

You CAN weld rust and air. Just takes some practice and a lot of grinding wheels.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i1eVqPiJQRLQrRhLpAyrrZ6JXMqbpHiZ5wSXWqJU5JgvrcWW9GJdelWqt7FWTIvY