dsycks
dsycks New Reader
11/19/10 1:30 a.m.

Just got back from Michigan where I picked up a new to me E36 in the form of a 94 325is. High miles but a well maintained car owned by a guy who loves cars.

Impressions from the drive home... Who knew a 16 year old car with 200,000 miles could have so much spunk! The car likes to run and has no serious rattles and only one noteworthy squeak that comes on at speeds I may not want to list online.

I am looking forward to getting it up to speed for the start of track days next spring. Bench racing is already in full swing! Updates to come.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey HalfDork
11/19/10 1:53 a.m.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/10 7:35 a.m.

I hope the oil has been changed at least once.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
11/19/10 7:43 a.m.

I miss my old E36. I still do a daily search for them on CL. Congrats!

paanta
paanta Reader
11/19/10 7:46 a.m.

BMW engines get better with age. Talked to my dad on the phone last night and he said "I hope the 535 makes it through the winter. It's on borrowed time at 285K miles." I reminded him that the previous owner had gotten rid of the car for that reason 3 years ago at 245K. And the owner before that probably got rid of it at 175K for the same reason. Still hasn't ever had the head off the motor.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
11/19/10 7:51 a.m.

I took my sister-in-law's 328i (e36) to work today. What a fantastic vehicle. The right size, comfortable but sharp handling, great sounding, quick enough etc. etc. etc.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
11/19/10 10:33 a.m.

I'm easily old enough to remember when a car was totally worn out at 100,000 miles.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/19/10 11:46 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I'm easily old enough to remember when a car was totally worn out at 100,000 miles.

Umm, doesn't that make you young? Most of my childhood memories are from 250k-plus '60s GM iron that was still going strong. Hell, I've got one in my garage.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
11/19/10 12:36 p.m.
Duke wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: I'm easily old enough to remember when a car was totally worn out at 100,000 miles.
Umm, doesn't that make you young? Most of my childhood memories are from 250k-plus '60s GM iron that was still going strong. Hell, I've got one in my garage.

That depends where you grew up. Where I was the salt would get to a new car in 4 or 5 years. I remember valve jobs at 40K and other stuff that I don't think twice about today.But the cars of the 50s,60s were easy to work on to keep them going.

dsycks
dsycks New Reader
11/19/10 4:05 p.m.

Took the car out for a spin on some backroads and all my hopes were pretty well confirmed. Car wants to do what you ask of it. Happily dives to the inside of a line even on 15" all season rubber.

Plans for the near future are to use a turner kit to beef up all the chassis spots that are most likely to fail while adding some extra stiffness in the form of the bracing and maybe a lil cage action.

Brakes and suspension bits will be addressed but no final plans for what that means as of yet.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/10 4:41 p.m.

Very nice. It would look perfect with some E36 M3 wheels.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheels/bmw_wheel_022.jpg

(can't hotlink on my work computer)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/19/10 4:50 p.m.

You done did it? Dang!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/19/10 5:01 p.m.

Yeah, nice score.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
11/19/10 8:27 p.m.

God job, Bud! May it live long and prosper under your tutelage!

1967cutlass
1967cutlass New Reader
11/19/10 9:29 p.m.

BMW inline 6 motors last virtually forever.

dsycks
dsycks New Reader
11/20/10 1:49 a.m.

Evan... if you are the guy who bought the M3 wheels for 350$ off craigslist I may have to hurt you.

I called the guy and he said he had someone coming to look at them and they of course bought them. I was heart broken.

If it was you I will let you help wrench on the car and keep you well oiled while making sure you get your "tree fitty" back and a little extra.

On of the great things about the car is that my white Evo and my white Golf TDI both went to Mich, now I brought a white car back form the state. Funny how that works but I think they still owe me a very choice white car.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/10 8:42 p.m.

If I may be so bold as to ask...what'd it set you back?

EvanB
11/21/10 8:48 p.m.
dsycks wrote: Evan... if you are the guy who bought the M3 wheels for 350$ off craigslist I may have to hurt you. I called the guy and he said he had someone coming to look at them and they of course bought them. I was heart broken. If it was you I will let you help wrench on the car and keep you well oiled while making sure you get your "tree fitty" back and a little extra. On of the great things about the car is that my white Evo and my white Golf TDI both went to Mich, now I brought a white car back form the state. Funny how that works but I think they still owe me a very choice white car.

Nope wasn't me, I just think they are the best looking wheels you can get for that car. My friend has an E36 M3 in blue with those wheels and it looks fantastic.

They wouldn't fit my new car anyway

dsycks
dsycks New Reader
11/21/10 10:00 p.m.

It was $3000 even. Could have found something a little cleaner maybe but I doubt I would have found something much more sound.

Very excited to start making some upgrades to suspension, brakes and chassis and getting some good rubber on there and seeing what she can do. Where as the Evo was an 800lb Wizard that would crush you with his magic, this car is a lyrical poet. So far so good.

Evan, what did you end up grabbing and what track days are we doing together next year? I have a date with the guy I bought the car from to do the two day One Lap of America School at BeaveRun in April. My goal is to get the car safe and ready for that event.

EvanB
11/21/10 10:37 p.m.

Just picked this up yesterday: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/my-newest-addition/28831/page1/

Might be fun at track days with a LS1 and some suspension work

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/22/10 5:15 a.m.

My E36 was an awesome DD and track car all rolled into one. All cars since are compared to it.

These are starting to show up in the salvage yards too so if you need odd parts keep that in mind.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
adz7rpDWBB5NetyydTc0jY4MNZmNZfBGpra23NSsfpEtstiqcGsyW1Ck4V8h4hwU