novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/9/11 7:25 p.m.

anyone here do it?

i did some looking around on the googles to see what kind of rules they have and what not.. i looked thru a few different websites for ice racing series in my area and most of them have like 4 rules..

1)no drinking in the car.. get drunk before you get there and in the pits BEFORE the race.

2)helmets are suggested.. not required- suggested..

3)all passengers (!!) must be belted in, there can be no more than 3 of them, and the "no drinking in the car" rule applies to them, too. it says nothing about minimum ages or anything like that. i guess that's a good way to get your newborn involved...

4) no studded tires on the drive wheels and no awd cars or trucks..

that's about it.. how do they consider that to be "real" racing?

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
11/9/11 7:57 p.m.

I ran a couple ice races last year in the Finger Lakes (NY) area, and will be doing more this winter. There really isn't and doesn't need to be much for classing, because the ice is such a good equalizer. All the hp in he world is just going to spin you out faster...

As for the rest: I'm sure your region takes itself more seriously than a quick glance at a website might suggest. Racing cars on ice does attract a...unique type of person, so i'm sure a lot of that is just tongue in cheek kind of stuff. But who knows. I'd get out on the ice and check it out. If its sketchy, find a group thats better. Overall though, ice racing is about as much fun as you can have in a car. I regularly have to remind myself that its even legal, its so much fun.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/9/11 8:27 p.m.

my "quick glance" was a read thru of the "official rules" of a few different sites. those were the rules they all seemed to have in common.. some had rules about changing tires during a race, and some had a couple of different classes. i still might give it a shot to get some wheel to wheel experience. i can drop a 305 i've got taking up space in my Camaro and haul it out and hoon it around for an afternoon..

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/9/11 8:30 p.m.

I have snow meats on my mx6, the heat works, the e brake doesn't, I'm ready.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
11/10/11 8:45 a.m.

Boston BMWCCA has an ice racing league. I've almost gone several times but it is so far north (they do it in NH). It is very hard to schedule races though because you can only do it if it is very cold but not snowy. For example all races last year got canceled because we got so much snow. Not a single race.

Sounds like fun. Seems like the only classes are tire based. All-season, snow, and snow with studs.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/10/11 9:01 a.m.

This sounds like its for me!

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
11/10/11 10:02 a.m.

The Adirondack Motor Enthusuast Club inc (AMEC) is the largest ice racing sanctioning body in North America. We have seven classes from wild to mild. We race mostly in the lower Adirondacks. Visit our web site "www.ice race.com" I am the chief steward and I can answer most questions

xflowgolf
xflowgolf New Reader
11/10/11 10:54 a.m.

where are you located?

Here in Michigan we run ice races that are basically big ice autocrosses with the Furrin Group and I think there's a group (Saginaw Valley Region?) that runs ice race autocrosses as well.

There is also a w2w race series run in northern Michigan, but I've never been to an event.

The solo ice race format is a riot. As mentioned, horsepower is equalized due to traction. We typically split into 6 classes. FWD, RWD, or AWD. Further split by tires (all seasons / dedicated winter tires).

Here's a pic of my winter beater Golf last year at a Turk Lake event in west Michigan. :)

xflowgolf
xflowgolf New Reader
11/10/11 11:05 a.m.

some more pics for fun...

AWD guys seem to have more fun on the ice:

but RWD manages to hang in there as well:

Definitely a "run what you brung" type event though. GRM approved. :)

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/10/11 11:52 a.m.

Is it wheel to wheel racing? I'd love to run the e30 but don't want it to get all banged up.

errorgti
errorgti New Reader
11/10/11 11:55 a.m.

check out w-a-g.org

I went ice racing with them last year, they're in wisconsin

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
11/10/11 1:59 p.m.

Huge frustrating fun! All sorts of GRM cars and skill levels.

Fox Valley Sports Car Club out of Appleton has great events: www.fvscc.com/.

LOL SCCA up in MN used to, I don't know if they still do: http://www.scca-lol.org/

Or start your own, all you need is a plow and a lake w/ ~10" of ice.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
11/10/11 2:46 p.m.

Here in Ontario we have north americas only land based ice race series,takes place saturdays and sundays for 6 consecutive weekends(unless rained out,we have 2 rain dates if needed).We have a large field of cars with a very strutured rulebook,we have awd,rwd and 2 fwd classes(based on wheelbase)and no studs allowed,then we have awd rwd fwd street stud classes,awd,rwd,fwd menard tire classes and finally we have a 2nd driver classes for rwd,awd,fwd in non studded and street studded classes.Essentially you can build a car with a buddy and share driving duties in your own class. I'm going into my 16th season,currently building a mid engined awd geo metro to use in the street studded class.

Youtube has lots of vids of different classes,search Minden ice races.

imirk
imirk Reader
11/10/11 4:40 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Here in Ontario we have north americas only land based ice race series,takes place saturdays and sundays for 6 consecutive weekends(unless rained out,we have 2 rain dates if needed).We have a large field of cars with a very strutured rulebook,we have awd,rwd and 2 fwd classes(based on wheelbase)and no studs allowed,then we have awd rwd fwd street stud classes,awd,rwd,fwd menard tire classes and finally we have a 2nd driver classes for rwd,awd,fwd in non studded and street studded classes.Essentially you can build a car with a buddy and share driving duties in your own class. I'm going into my 16th season,currently building a mid engined awd geo metro to use in the street studded class. Youtube has lots of vids of different classes,search Minden ice races.

That's it honey, we're moving to Canada!

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
11/10/11 5:27 p.m.

AMEC is locate in upstate NY in the foothills of the Adirondacks. All of our racing is wheel to wheel. Even the Street Legal class. We do host a time trial thing once in awhile.

nymalo
nymalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/10/11 8:10 p.m.

Here are some links to some excellent Ice Racing videos.

AMEC Street legal race in car

AMEC Menard class

More street legal action

Mark

Drahthaar
Drahthaar
11/10/11 8:40 p.m.

We run a few weekends a year, Western Wisconsin area. http://www.scclac.org/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DVCPXS62h8hVekMKhZw0reKTutmhBGNZYmKInnLyvzTOKBTETObeJq0z2ZzHTDyD