1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/23/16 2:20 p.m.

Why doesn't Chevy take the absolute base-model Colorado, add the 4.2" MyLink system (mainly for bluetooth), body colour door handles, and the option for an automatic transmission, call it something like the "street edition," and sell it for $23,995 marketed at young people who like trucks but never thought they could afford a new one?

That would be about $2300 more than a 2017 Corolla S 6MT, not quite $2400 more than a Civic EX-T Coupe, a little over $700 more than a mid-range CX-3 with AWD, and $1500 more than an Impreza 2.0i Sport hatchback, which places it within reach of most new car buyers in their early 20s, and it has the features they want (bluetooth, air conditioning, power windows and locks, a smooth monochrome appearance).

Or maybe it's just me.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/23/16 2:31 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: ...call it something like the "street edition,"

We need something edgy, that will catch on with Millenials...How about "Xtreme?"

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/23/16 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

It's not a full-on street truck, just a monochrome appearance and connectivity trim level. Maybe pull out a trim level from Saturn circa 2008 and call it the Colorado XR?

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/23/16 3:25 p.m.

It's just you. Those buyers have Corollas, Civics, and a whole host of other, better "street" options that seat more than 2 people with nicer stuff for less money.

Why would they want a stripped out bench seat work truck with bluetooth and pay a premium for it? The real question, to me, is why is a nicely equipped Civic cheaper than a stripped down work 2WD 2 seat pick-up in the first place? THat thing should be $14k.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/23/16 3:34 p.m.

What I reeeeeealy want is a short box standard cab F-150 with a Coyote, limited slip, and two inches lower. Make it cheap, sell a bunch, and replace the Mustang memes with trucks crashing.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/23/16 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

I think it would be more of a "lifestyle" choice than a Civic or Corolla. A lot of people I know who are 20-25 and can afford a new car are non-enthusiasts but like new trucks as they're "rugged" and "cool-looking."

In terms of the cost of it, fleets don't really buy stripped out "small" trucks anymore, so they've moved up in price due to not being able to exploit the economy of scale. Plus, an absolute base-model Colorado comes with stuff that a base-model Ranger dreamed about.

Air conditioning, power windows, power locks, a 6 speaker stereo worth a damn with an AUX jack, a USB port, a backup camera, six airbags, modern crash protection, traction control, ESC, an extended cab, 200 horsepower, a 6th cog in the manual gearbox, a locking tailgate and more. All for $20,995 which is still $12,570 less than the $33,560 average new car transaction price witnessed in 2015. Sure, it's $2k more than a base-model Civic coupe, but Civics used to be cheaper than Rangers anyways.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
10/23/16 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

It depends on where in the us you are selling it, though the market is not huge it is loyal in rural areas.

Make those and put them in dealers on the edge of suburbia I think the buyer would find them.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/23/16 4:40 p.m.

I see people having trouble picking up the Colorado as a "Small cool lifestyle truck" (Say like the old Pre Runner Tacoma or Ranger Edge) because It's too big. (Yes, every time somebody starts talking about small trucks on this site and then mentions the Colorado, I'm going to say they are wrong, I have to do a double take to check if the truck I'm looking at is a Silverado or a Colorado)

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/23/16 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I was thinking more "rugged, fun, primarily-urban lifestyle truck" as opposed to "cheap, small, adventurous lifestyle truck." Sort of like how most "SUVs" now are just tall FWD unibody hatchbacks but people still buy them because they like the looks, seating position, and perceptions of an SUV.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
10/23/16 9:13 p.m.

Isn't this what Ford did with the "edge"? I had one and it was a horrible thrashy setup that wasn't good at much at all; I clamored for a cheap 2wd minitruck and thought I'd found it. Nope.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
10/23/16 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

You're not wrong. The Colorado isn't a small truck. It's longer than 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation C/K trucks, in wheelbase and OAL. It's only slightly narrower than them.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/16 5:36 a.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

That's more crossovers, especially if they feature a 3rd row. Edge, Journey and many others. Outside of the CX5, Santa fe and pilot it's difficult to find one that isn't terrible for less than 50k.

Also i know that they make half ton work trucks in a similar trim. I'm betting that the sales volume of half tons and the commercial and rental sales warrant them just continuing to make those at a lower cost to manufacture courtesy of volume than to fill the niche in the non full size market, though I'd love such a truck.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/24/16 7:21 a.m.

I'd love a reg cab Canyon, with a 5.3/6-spd, lowered on 18's and get the "ZQ8" treatment from the old S-dime days. Mmmm..... 330hp midsize truck that handles.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/24/16 8:16 a.m.

When I think small, urban, cool trucks I think of the V-dub or the original Sube baja.

When I just think small, cool northeastern weather trucks these two players from the 80's along with a ranger or S10 (which were both a little bigger) come to mind.

The Colorado/Canyon is MASSIVE compared to any of these and quite a bit longer/wider than my 2017 Tacoma. And my Tacoma is the same exact dimensions, power and weight as my 2000 Tundra was. SO, it's also too big despite being the smallest pickup I could buy. Hell, a Razor ATV is bigger than that original VW PU while being less useful somehow.

I would love to see the return of a true mini-truck with modern power and handling in both 2wd and 4wd configurations.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
10/24/16 8:33 a.m.

Wait, there are people in their mid 20s who can afford to buy new cars?

JBasham
JBasham Reader
10/24/16 8:52 a.m.

There are lots of them, but they live downtown in walkable apartments and use the occasional Zipcar. Cars aren't a thing any more. First auto they'll need is something that comes with a baby seat.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/24/16 8:54 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Wait, there are people in their mid 20s who can afford to buy new cars?

Come on down! Zero down payment and 72mo WAC financing terms available. If it'll drive, it's worth fifty five! Push pull or drag your trade down today!

With deals like this, how can you afford NOT to buy a new car!?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/24/16 9:16 a.m.

I just went to Ford's website and built a F150 2wd short box with 5.0L and Sport Appearance (painted bumper, not black or chrome with sportier wheels.) Added in the towing capabilities of lsd and hitch, etc. Price came to over $31.5k

Same options but base 6 cyl came to a price of $29.2k

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/24/16 9:43 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to Chadeux: I was thinking more "rugged, fun, primarily-urban lifestyle truck" as opposed to "cheap, small, adventurous lifestyle truck." Sort of like how most "SUVs" now are just tall FWD unibody hatchbacks but people still buy them because they like the looks, seating position, and perceptions of an SUV.

And what's the advantage here that the kids actually care about? I can't think of any.

I'd press GM to clone the Honda Element.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/24/16 9:45 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Wait, there are people in their mid 20s who can afford to buy new cars?

Yes, not everyone in their 20s works at a coffee shop or makes stupid decisions with their money. By the time I was 30 myself and the ex had both owned 2 new cars each.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
10/24/16 10:11 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to chandlerGTi: That's more crossovers, especially if they feature a 3rd row. Edge, Journey and many others. Outside of the CX5, Santa fe and pilot it's difficult to find one that isn't terrible for less than 50k. Also i know that they make half ton work trucks in a similar trim. I'm betting that the sales volume of half tons and the commercial and rental sales warrant them just continuing to make those at a lower cost to manufacture courtesy of volume than to fill the niche in the non full size market, though I'd love such a truck.

Right, I was talking about the Edge (ranger). It was a stripped down ranger with a good stereo, rubber mat floor, neoprene seats and cool paint/graphics (for the time) directed at Gen-x.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/24/16 10:33 a.m.

Hell, a Razor is nearly as big as my first gen 4Runner.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/24/16 7:17 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

How old are you now?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/24/16 7:35 p.m.

I'm 55 and I have never owned a new vehicle.

(My business owned one once which I got to drive for a year or so).

I spent my money on real estate, which appreciated in value (sort of)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/24/16 7:41 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

I am a little confused.

A base model Colorado is $20,055. Are you suggesting jacking the price?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OpvtDP4oH0DIbN9Bs1pTwiIABcagfUssFQcDRJaowjBk5K2z5bNqD7BwbYRIpplZ