1 2
mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
12/19/08 11:36 p.m.

I don't consider that "my sport". That's horrible.

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/19/08 11:44 p.m.

The law about crushing peoples cars concers ricers who build up/blow up engines regularly and suplement there cars with stolen parts. Down in San Diego there was a big racing scene. People would talk about cops telling the ricers to pop the hood so they could look for violations. I had to drive the mercedes just to keep up with traffic down south. In San Diego 85mph was the new 65mph, and driving slower than that was dangerous.

If you are stupid enough to race your car on the street maybe getting the thing crushed might be a good wake up call. In san diego they had too many people getting killed by out of control ricers.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/08 2:07 a.m.

I don't understand why the people who have never had more horsepower than a good lawnmower automatically think with lots of power is a bad person.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
12/20/08 4:14 a.m.
Donny Astricky, from Gone in 60 Seconds said: You lazy, half-ass bully! Any a**hole person can pull a burnout anywhere! You don't know the first thing about driving a car! Boy! You need a role model!

I think this statement works great here.

johnhammer
johnhammer New Reader
12/20/08 6:11 a.m.

A few years ago I was a guest on a TV show in Grand Rapids, MI. I was there with another SCCA member & we were there to discuss "street racing"...obviously, we offered options; Come To The Track! It was disgustingly clear that the host had NO idea what we were about, no matter how much we tried to explain. Within a few minutes the fog cleared...he was aiming us toward his time to play a video clip from "The Fast & The Furious."

Ugggh...

I hate it, but that IS the perception when Joe Average sees a car with a lowered suspension and an aggressive exhaust note. Toolbags like these GTO fellas just add to it.

tuffburn
tuffburn New Reader
12/20/08 6:43 a.m.

honestly the bad publicity i can deal with, the rising prices for cars i want i cannot. seriously. your cut springs only detract your cars value to me. but its whatever,as long as california keeps hating all cars and the rest of the country keeps driving them i could care less. grm helps with the ricer blues.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
12/20/08 10:46 a.m.
skruffy wrote: I used to be involved with organizing local cruse-ins and whatnot. After the first F&F movie came out we got inundated with idiots streetracing near the meets, doing burnouts in crowded parkinglots, and just generally being stupid. We took the brunt of the backlash from the local police and eventually had to stop hosting events at all.

The local cruise-in did get kicked out of their location after douchenozzles with imports and loud stereos got out of hand.

They have a new location, and a new policy. Got a stereo on loud enough to be heard a couple cars away? You're kicked out. They also invite the police to attend, and there's usually a couple bike patrols riding around, chatting with people, etc.

The people who are just there to hang out are treated with respect, and the people who are there to be jackasses, are not. As it should be.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
12/20/08 3:11 p.m.

Hey Derek,that same BIG Friday car show in Halifax was giving me,and my 6 year old son a hard time while driving in with my 74 REPU. The guy told me the show was for old cars,and trucks only. What a crock of E36 M3!!

These guys in the video are straight up idiots,and I bet if they killed someone there actions would change,and the videographer wouldn't be laughing anymore.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/08 3:33 p.m.

When I was at the Chevy Rev It Up Event in DC, there was group of GTO's there from a local club. Some VERY serious hardware. Everyone was adult, responsible and having a great time. I hate to see a club like the onbe in the video give clubs like that one a bad name.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/20/08 4:35 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote:
kreb wrote:
its almost a felony to want to modify your car and if you are even near a group of street racers in a modified car it will be seized and probably crushed,
Isn't that a bit of an overstatement?
Nope. Ok, maybe a little. But only a little.

If you are driving an SR20DET 240sx or a Civic with a CRV engine or something like that, yes you will get in trouble in cali if the cops feel like it. If you are dirivng anything other than a 240sx, civic or integra, or a fox body mustang its pretty unlikely you will get messed with though.

That video shows exactly the reason why I will never own a muscle car. No matter how many responsible owners there are, idiots like that have given them a bad reputation. I actually saw someone in an LS1 camaro doing dounnuts in an intersection and making at least as big a clound of smoke as the guy in the video did (and almost taking out a stop sign as well) just last week. At least there wernt any other cars around, but still, what an idiot.

mtn
mtn Dork
12/20/08 4:42 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: What is the point of burning out? Am I the only one here that has a car incapable of doing a burnout.

I have (Dad has, I use) a 91 318ic. Sometimes I can get a chirp. If its wet. Thats fun.

IDK, I think burning out is cool. I've really only had one car I could do it in, my brothers Crown Vic. That is probably just my teenage mind talking, but I feel like it makes my penis grow another inch. That being said, as someone above me noted, there is a time and a place. A three lane hiway is not it.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
12/20/08 4:54 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: That video shows exactly the reason why I will never own a muscle car. No matter how many responsible owners there are, idiots like that have given them a bad reputation.

(pedantic git mode: ON)

The last musclecars were built in the extremely early 1970's. I am sure that there may be some irresponsible owners left but for the most part, thanks to Barrett-Jackson, they are priced well outside the reach of your typical douchebag.

GTOs, the fake ones anyway, can still be had inexpensively and on monthly installments. I know some (youthfully inclined type) people who bought a GTO as a daily driver while their "good" car goes under the knife.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/20/08 5:07 p.m.

Hmm, maybe they arent muscle cars to everyone, but whatever you call fox or sn95 mustangs, 3rd and 4th gen f-bodys, new gtos, etc are what im refering to. Of course most of the drivers of newer bmws and merdeces arent alot better, but thats another story.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/20/08 9:10 p.m.

Over the years I have see otherwise intelligent people do really stupid things in similar situations. And that includes young and old, male and female, American, Japanese or German cars, trucks and motorcycles. It looks like the side of the road was lined with people watching and filming and probably egging them on to show off. My point is there is no one brand of car the automaticlly attracts bad drivers.

I suspect there is not one of us here that can't think back to at least one time that we did something really stupid and dangerous behind the wheel, myself included. That is why we know better now.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
12/21/08 1:41 a.m.

they do E36 M3 like this at some local cruise ins.. and my friend wonders why i am not all that keen on taking my car to them.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/08 12:58 p.m.

Small brain + big engine = big accident

Mind you I've seen some pretty decent accidents pulled off with low-displacement Japanese cars too...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
12/21/08 2:06 p.m.
derekshannon wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: Hey Derek,that same BIG Friday car show in Halifax was giving me,and my 6 year old son a hard time while driving in with my 74 REPU. The guy told me the show was for old cars,and trucks only. What a crock of E36 M3!!
You've got to be kidding me, right? Last time I was there I saw a brand new Hemi Challenger and who knows haw many 90's Mustangs. That IS a crock of... I hope you got in.

But he was drivin' one of them furrin cars.

Shawn

bmw327
bmw327 New Reader
12/21/08 2:34 p.m.

It's everywhere, unfortunately. A few years ago I went to a local parking-lot meet with my then 14 month old daughter tagging along. She was standing with me quietly holding my finger while I was looking at an old V12 Ferrari when some moron in a Viper came around the corner (within the lot), lit both rear tires and got all sorts of sideways about 20 feet from us. My daughter, who was then only 2 months out of a Chinese orphanage, was terrified. Viper boy was summarily reamed and asked to depart, I believe.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
12/21/08 2:44 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Mandatory sterilisation for every one of those retards. Shawn

Shawn, you should choose your words more carefully. I am fairly confident that the majority of mentally challenged individuals with even a rudimentary concept of legal opperation of motor vehicles would use much better judgement in the same situation, with the same or greater horsepower on tap.

Pretty much +infinity to the posts already in this thread.

Quote of the thread: "there is a time and a place. . ."

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
12/21/08 5:45 p.m.
derekshannon wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: Hey Derek,that same BIG Friday car show in Halifax was giving me,and my 6 year old son a hard time while driving in with my 74 REPU. The guy told me the show was for old cars,and trucks only. What a crock of E36 M3!!
You've got to be kidding me, right? Last time I was there I saw a brand new Hemi Challenger and who knows haw many 90's Mustangs. That IS a crock of... I hope you got in.

I wish I were kidding you. I was able to get in,but the very next week when I went with the truck again the same guy gave me a hassle. I saw that same new Hemi Challenger as well,because I was pared right across from him. I know my truck isn't the nicest thing on earth,but it was maybe the rarest vehicle at the show,but I had a hard time getting in.

mulluthuntur
mulluthuntur New Reader
12/22/08 5:14 p.m.

That's the reason I quit riding sportbikes. I love riding, but there are way too many retards on them who do that in the Hooter's parking lot. Gotta hate the reputation that kind of buffoonery builds.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VoUuSZiaGlRAXoDe8gQJg6LYOF6M9VLtyWpo07QGJ51Z0k9oZjNWudNfQw76777z