1 2
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
4/18/14 7:06 a.m.

I'll be looking for that exact deal around July. Heck I could even drive it back from S2S. Sorely tempted to send the dude cash and have him hold it until July.

My needs are the same as yours, home depot runs and such. I'd be all over that. As others noted, in the northeast thats a 5k or better truck.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/18/14 7:17 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Find out what the rear end gear ratio is - with a six cylinder and the heavy duty four speed transmission it could be geared pretty low for modern highway speeds. They aren't all that way; my truck has a 3.25 rear so it will go 70 all day without a problem, but it's something to check. Even if the rear gears are too low, it's a Ford 9 inch so replacement gears in any ratio you can imagine are readily available.

Would this one not have the granny low gear? We had one here at work that several peple fought over when it was ready to be sold out of the fleet. The guy that bought it still has it.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
4/18/14 7:21 a.m.
pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/18/14 10:13 a.m.

I have owned a 1974 F100 Ranger for the past 16 years. It is the only vehicle that I will never sell. Aside from engine mounts it has been very reliable. The drum brakes work, but if I were to drive it in heavy traffic often I would change to front disk brakes. I will drive it 200 miles dragging my hobie cat or jon boat on a trailer with a couple of dirt bikes in back with out any undue stress on me. I have the 390ci V-8 with the 4 speed manual and get about 10 mpg at 55mph. It has 3.55 gears and 33x12.50 r15 mudders. I advise you to get it.Picture of mine.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/18/14 10:55 a.m.

Hey BoxheadTim how do you like your new truck so far?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
4/18/14 11:00 a.m.

for your needs, id say el camino.

or, if youre a masochist, ranchero.

availible with big blocks up through 72.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
4/18/14 11:02 a.m.

I love the looks of those old trucks. However, I like the modern convenience, safety features and drive-ability of the newer trucks more. Particularly brakes. Especially when you consider truck duties that include towing a race car but your needs may vary from mine.

For the mileage you plan on doing, I'd probably skip the diesel. Not worth the extra buy-in that diesel usually commands and the gas motors will make more power and be more fun since the early diesels were not turbo'ed.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/18/14 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

El Camino is too small - if I buy a truck I want something with an 8' bed.

In reply to amg_rx7:

One of the reasons I'm still sitting on the fence with this F100 is that between us, Ikea and places like Thunderhill, there are a couple of small (8000') hills that might be in the way.

The reason why I'd like a Diesel isn't really that rational, it's mainly because I'm European and believe that something as big as a 3/4 ton truck simply should have a Diesel engine.

Oh, and I just heard back from the seller, the truck is geared for road use and either has a 3.25 or 3.50 rear end.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/18/14 1:55 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Find out what the rear end gear ratio is - with a six cylinder and the heavy duty four speed transmission it could be geared pretty low for modern highway speeds. They aren't all that way; my truck has a 3.25 rear so it will go 70 all day without a problem, but it's something to check. Even if the rear gears are too low, it's a Ford 9 inch so replacement gears in any ratio you can imagine are readily available.
Would this one not have the granny low gear? We had one here at work that several peple fought over when it was ready to be sold out of the fleet. The guy that bought it still has it.

Yes, the four speed transmission in these trucks has the granny low gear. You hardly ever use first gear in normal driving, so in effect it's a three speed with that extra low first you only need once in a great while.

The thing is, these trucks sometimes also came with 4.10 or 4.56 rear gears so they were running a zillion RPM at highway speeds. Fortunately, the original poster has already verified that isn't a concern with this particular truck.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/18/14 3:24 p.m.

A bolt on overdrive was a factory option with these trucks as well. Still see the odd one pop up on ebay.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
4/18/14 3:32 p.m.

You could always come to Atlanta and drive away in my 1986 F250 Regular Cab 2WD. It has the 300 six and 4 speed manual transmission.Dark blue in color with matching camper top. Factory AC (needs refridgerant). Never had a trailer hitch. Two owner. Absolutely no rust. Purrs like a... 300 six with 157K miles. Good E load range tires and featuring a 1986 vintage Alpine cassette player with seperate EQ. Has one big dent on the roof and another new one on the passenger rear. I drove this daily in Atlanta traffic all last month while the DD was acting up. Would drive it anywhere...$1750.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
4/18/14 3:35 p.m.
airwerks wrote: If you are willing to dip into the 60's, at least get something cool.

My dream truck! Sigh!

BoxheadTim
4/20/14 9:22 p.m.

Well, looks like that one escaped my clutches.

A slightly newer F250 camper special has popped up locally but I was wondering just how deep into the single digit mpg the 460 in that thing will take me?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/20/14 11:27 p.m.

Way deep into the low single digits. Stay away unless it's nice enough and cheap enough to make an engine swap worthwhile.

BoxheadTim
4/20/14 11:40 p.m.

It looks nice enough in the pictures and is kinda cheap enough, but I really can't be bothered with engine swaps.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SjG9V1YdHlWtU9eiOMtAQ7xYDRKrx8tC5ebrO1WhtMh10kUUggeqV7tkDKidab3s