cuz it wus found on road dead

tjbell
tjbell New Reader
4/17/14 2:38 p.m.

for 1900$ I'd play

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
4/17/14 2:38 p.m.

Economical? Unlikely. Reliable as hell though!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/17/14 2:42 p.m.

^^^ Exactly---- the 300 cid engine will run forever, but it isn't exactly a gas miser. Expect 10-15mpg.

You are unlikely to kill it though. I have a 300 I-6 in my 82 Ford and I'm pretty sure it will run even if I drained all the oil out of it. It isn't refined, or pleasant though. Keep in mind, old trucks are trucks---- this was before they became all plush and nice to drive. They are great for using them like trucks.....less great for driving long distances daily.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/14 2:43 p.m.

Economical probably in comparison with the 390s that are more common out here.

Given the 300ci's reputation I was wondering how someone managed to kill one of them, though.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/17/14 2:43 p.m.

because you'd end up retrofitting on better brakes and be tempted by air bag suspension (for function)? seriously I got nothing, heck a fly and drive is tempting on that one

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
4/17/14 2:44 p.m.

I had a '69 shortbed with a 390 and a 3 speed. It's the only vehicle I wish I'd kept...

Having said that, they have some issues that make them less than practical, but that one may avoid them since it's the Ranger (higher) trim level. Specifically, the one I had was manual drum brakes all the way around, and it was a scary thing. Some had discs on the front and were much better. Mine also had manual steering and it was horrid. FMC made the manual steering gearbox bearing races out of candlewax. I never found a used box with less than 1/4 turn of play in it. Which was better than the 1/2 turn mine had. Apparently the power boxes didn't have that issue. Gas tank is behind the seat which limits cab room and makes for a fragrant interior as they age.Also, no factory air on the truck in the photos, take that for what you will.

so in the end? If you want to tow something heavier than a Jon boat, get a different truck. Me? I'd be on my way to his door with cash. I still want another one of those trucks. I still have a manual OD trans sitting in my shop to fit them that I haven't been able to get rid of, and I sold that truck almost 15 years ago....

EDIT: as for economy, my 2bbl 3spd 390 got 12mpg all day long no matter how you drove it. 13 with the tailgate down. FWIW

BoxheadTim
4/17/14 2:47 p.m.

The intended use is mostly for dump and Lowes Depot runs, maybe with the occasional trip to work thrown in. Even the odd trip to work will only be 25-27 miles.

Oh, and a couple of times a year we'll probably take it to Ikea, that's 250 mile round trip. Either way, it's not going to be a daily driver, but I'm kinda torn about getting a 90s diesel truck for its "tow anything" ability for three times the money, or I spend a lot less on a truck that doesn't get used that much anyway.

BoxheadTim
4/17/14 2:50 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: so in the end? If you want to tow something heavier than a Jon boat, get a different truck.

Ah, that might be a deal breaker as we don't have a tow vehicle right now.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
4/17/14 2:52 p.m.

When I was a kid, we had a '67 that looked just like that one. Well, with faded paint, but color was the same. It had a 351, and a 4 speed- which was actually a 3 speed with a stump pulling first.

It was very reliable. We bought it with a camper (that was later used more on a '77 460), but did haul a lot of wood when scrounging for the winter. My brother and I drove it a lot for HS.

If I were to keep it, I would totally upgrade the suspension- it wandered a LOT. But ours had decent brakes.

Not a bad truck.

Our neighbor had one with the 300/6- they worked that thing hard, and it never broke. For what you plan, I'd get it.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
4/17/14 2:56 p.m.

great start for a minor restomod/driver light duty pickup?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/17/14 3:19 p.m.

Let's see.. best motor, best trans, best bed length, new parts, not-terrible condition, decent price, even some decent looking wheels. For an old truck, it's practically a ringer.

Having said that, i had a fully functional (actually, mechanically i would say it was AWESOME) 75 f150 that i tried keeping around 'for occasional truck uses' and it bored me to tears and wasnt a great tow vehicle so i sold it. Granted, a long bed 300 manual is preferable to the short bed 360/c6 combo i had. If mine had been better looking, i might have kept it too. My uncle has a ~72 shortcab longbed with decent looks that i actually really like, and i think that kinda gets to my point. For me an old truck would have to be good looking enough to be dual purpose as both a truck and something i actually enjoyed looking at because they're not particularly good trucks and if that's all they've got going for them it's a pretty weak argument in their favor.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
4/17/14 3:35 p.m.

As much as I love older trucks, I'd opt for one that has been upgraded to at least front disc's.

Plus, you have the nickel and dime factor. I'd say a later '90-ish F-150 with the 300-6 and either a 5 speed or auto would do the trick. Relative comfort and utility.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/14 3:49 p.m.

I still have my 1970 f100. You can retrofit a later brake vacuum booster and you won't really care about the lack of discs anymore. It will stop just fine if you don't have a bunch of weight in the back. You can also swap in a later power steering box. All junkyard parts that you can pick up for pennies and swap over on a Saturday afternoon. And the ride is actually really good with the front I beam setup. But if the front end is worn out (which it will be) you will have to steer while you brake, and it will wander all over the road at highway speeds. The six has no power, but torque is not bad and at will do the job unless you really pack the weight on.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/17/14 5:28 p.m.

I had that same truck, but the blue was dark and on top & bottom. If I was up for a road trip, I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Post pics when you get it home ....

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/17/14 6:03 p.m.

I frickin love our 86 I6 4 speed longbed F150. Got about 17-18 mpg highway dding it for a couple weeks. I like to say its just as slow empty as it is loaded up.

I had a bed full of solid wood furniture and a 5x8 trailer attached also with patio furniture and a loaded toolbox..didnt phase it. I would think that truck your looking at would easily suffice for your planned ikea runs.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
4/17/14 6:08 p.m.

That truck is exactly what I am currently looking for.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
4/17/14 6:24 p.m.

That is a $5000 truck up here.

Someday, when I'm finally sick of dealing with my Dakota, I will be buying something like that while I'm down south on one of my Challenge trips and driving it home.

airwerks
airwerks Reader
4/17/14 7:02 p.m.

If you are willing to dip into the 60's, at least get something cool.

BoxheadTim
4/17/14 8:10 p.m.

The Jeep pickup is considerably more expensive and considerably slower, though...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/14 8:13 p.m.

The Jeep would be a better Jeep, but the truck would be a better truck.

plance1
plance1 Dork
4/17/14 9:17 p.m.

truck is very cool, you'd be crazy not to buy it. My 79 f150 was the best vehicle I've ever owned, very practical, great

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/17/14 9:21 p.m.

Later disk brakes (up through 1979) are a bolt in modification as well, if you want to go that way. However, in my experience there's nothing wrong with the original drums if they're in good condition - I have a 1966 F-100 which is pretty much the same underneath, and the brakes work just fine.

Find out what the rear end gear ratio is - with a six cylinder and the heavy duty four speed transmission it could be geared pretty low for modern highway speeds. They aren't all that way; my truck has a 3.25 rear so it will go 70 all day without a problem, but it's something to check. Even if the rear gears are too low, it's a Ford 9 inch so replacement gears in any ratio you can imagine are readily available.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/18/14 5:41 a.m.

Time to post this photo again Bunch of sissies posting in this thread. Real men don't need power steering or brakes...or air conditioning...or door seals that keep the wind from howling so loud at 60 mph you can't hear the radio. This is how I roll to the track. 15 mpg unladed, 12 mpg towing with the 352 V8. Disc brakes bolted on from a '79 because I loathe drum brakes with a passion. Exact same truck under the fancy metal as the one in the Craigslist ad. Stops perfectly straight. Steering is as tight as you'd expect for something engineered in the 1960s (check the rag joint). Reliable? Hell, there's nothing to break that isn't made out of cast iron or thick steel. The only failure I can recall is a clutch rod that split (I now carry a spare; two cotter pins and I'm ready to roll again). And, everyone loves old trucks, especially chicks! Check out Fordification.com for all your needs. Just buy it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
21qJtzvJMwPNdSgGJDQCqA0FFRH98GI2ATQz9bLahLvHteBFSJQzV4a16Mn8ss97