unevolved
unevolved Reader
3/31/10 5:23 p.m.

So my family's taking our "last" vacation as a family, as my little sister is going off to college and we won't have time anymore. (Yeah, because I have all kinds of free time in mid-August...) We're going to visit some friends that live in Italy, at Aviano AB (in northern Italy).

I think I'm allowed to put one item on our agenda. If you were in Italy and could only go to ONE racing-oriented place, what would it be? Modena is only three hours away. I know it's cliched, but I've heard the Ferrari factory tour is mindblowing.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/10 5:30 p.m.

Well dang it. I would look at all of Europe. Nurburgring, BMW or Porsche factory. I think I need to create a vacation that goes to all the old tracks of europe as well as as many manufacturers and car related things. I can see a GRM/Perillo tour LOL.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
3/31/10 5:30 p.m.

Monza should be relatively close....but Modena is the automotive Mecca.

lewbud
lewbud Reader
3/31/10 5:34 p.m.

Was thinking Monza or Modena. If you can get to Bologna, there's the Lamborghini museum. I thought the Corvette factory tour was pretty cool, the Ferrari factory would have to be outta sight.

peter
peter New Reader
3/31/10 6:41 p.m.

Been to Modena, but at that time (2003), when I went, factory tours were only available to owners on an appointment basis. There was a decent museum and the typical gift shop, but not as cool as a real factory tour.

On the same trip, I toured the Ducati factory outside Bologna. THAT was worth seeing. Good museum, absolutely great tour. I ended up mixed in with a group of American Ducati owners, so the crowd was into it, which made it more interesting. Highly recommended.

If you can get confirmation of a Ferrari factory tour, I'd say go for it, but I wouldn't go to Modena without checking...

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/1/10 6:11 a.m.

Sardinia.

http://www.initaly.com/regions/sardinia/sardinia.htm

Treb
Treb Reader
4/1/10 7:57 a.m.

Alfa Romeo museum. Plus, it's close to Monza, so easy to make into a twofer.

Ferrari factory tours are tough to arrange; the museum -- not factory affiliated, I think -- is nice, but not outstanding.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
4/1/10 9:02 a.m.

Honestly, if I could go to one place, it'd be Assisi, but it has nothing to do with racing.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/1/10 2:22 p.m.

If you don't need anything car related, I vote Sorrento. The most beautiful city I'll ever see.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/1/10 3:34 p.m.

Ducati, for our 2 wheeled brethren

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/1/10 5:02 p.m.

they'll usually run the historic mille miglia in May. Not sure the exact route but it usually goes through Toscana. I'm sure you can find it on the web.

You didn't say when you were going. Too bad there is no more San Marino GP.

Buona fortuna.... a dopo

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
4/1/10 7:30 p.m.

Great dolomite road, then spend the rest of your time in Venice. I know its touristy, but it truly is spectacular.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
4/1/10 9:42 p.m.

Venice is and overpriced, floating joke. Sorry. You can do better in Italy. The novelty wears thin quickly.

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
4/1/10 9:59 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If you don't need anything car related, I vote Sorrento. The most beautiful city I'll ever see.

+100 outstanding area. The entire Amalfi Coast is drop dead gorgeous. If you need to stay north, I'd go to the Cinque Terre.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
4/1/10 11:20 p.m.

Maranello, obviously. Nice tour of the Ferrari factory and lunch across the street at Cavallino. Never miss it when we are in Italy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pEi8ZWsOIgNVOA7MPLZiSuOR1C6SOI28NH5bLVIlmjWygXbL9OPemGorbenZTQGC