1 2
Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/29/19 4:05 p.m.

So, it looks like I have an LS1 with a T5 behind it in the garage.  I have some movement of projects with leaves this open.

I would like to have something that would be good on a track, fast, and potential for lower priced entry.  So, low weight, is the thought.

So, what is the hive's thought on these cars with a LS swap in them.

Miata *possible NC just cause I have big wheels that will fit*

Boxster

Or just build a secondary Lotus setup to house the LS....

Please, discuss.....

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/29/19 4:15 p.m.

I have an NC for sale that’d fit the bill perfectly.  Even has a roll bar already installed for track use.

I’ll even knock a bit off if I can get the engine back to keep as a spare for my other NC.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/19 4:24 p.m.

RX8, the LS would fix the majorly weak component of an otherwise fantastic track toy. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/29/19 4:42 p.m.
captdownshift said:

RX8, the LS would fix the majorly weak component of an otherwise fantastic track toy. 

I agree with this. RX8's are almost free and they have all the top you could want for doing silly track stuff. Also, you could keep the tiny back seat and use it to haul children! Win!

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/29/19 4:42 p.m.

+1 for RX8...

Chassis are dirt cheap right now, should fit your NC wheels, and none of the "convertible" issues of the NC.

calteg
calteg Dork
4/29/19 4:43 p.m.

I looked heavily into the LS1/RX8 combo. Getting the LS sensors to be read by the RX-8's CANBUS is a pretty big obstacle. The few that I've actually seen completed are running an aftermarket cluster or a tablet tied to an aftermarket ECU. Not a huge hurdle for a straight track car though...

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/19 4:59 p.m.

Just to piss people off, Mustang?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/29/19 5:03 p.m.

I agree with nc miata. 

Other, crazy suggestions:

S10

S10 blazer

80s gm g body

Sn95 mustang 

Go kart 

Mg midget 

Stefan
4/29/19 5:13 p.m.

Pontiac Firefly?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/19 5:17 p.m.

I wonder if you get bits from one of those sideways LS motors they dropped in the Impala if you could shoehorn on into a Fiero. Bonus points if you put C8 Corvette badging on it. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/29/19 5:26 p.m.
calteg said:

I looked heavily into the LS1/RX8 combo. Getting the LS sensors to be read by the RX-8's CANBUS is a pretty big obstacle. The few that I've actually seen completed are running an aftermarket cluster or a tablet tied to an aftermarket ECU. Not a huge hurdle for a straight track car though...

Isn't there also a bunch of stuff you have to do like mounting the rear diff since it depends on the trans mount, and then re-mounting a lot of the front suspension stuff that has to move since it is mounted to the engine cradle?

calteg
calteg Dork
4/29/19 5:44 p.m.
Robbie said:
calteg said:

Isn't there also a bunch of stuff you have to do like mounting the rear diff since it depends on the trans mount, and then re-mounting a lot of the front suspension stuff that has to move since it is mounted to the engine cradle?

Yup, I've heard the diff one. Apparently the steering shaft needs to do gymnastics to get around LS1 headers as well. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/29/19 6:08 p.m.

LS into RX8 should be about the same as LS into NC Miata.   

You can buy all the swap parts from V8 Roadsters if you don't want to home brew:  LS into RX8 swap parts

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/19 6:21 p.m.
calteg said:

It shouldn't be too hard with the info I've got from our ND work. But it's not something a garage builder can do without access to the software and I don't want to do it :)

For "cheap track toy", the aftermarket gauges are the way to go.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
4/29/19 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I  was highly interested till I saw the prices !

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
4/30/19 6:46 a.m.

In reply to scottdownsouth :

Yeah, not cheap, but everything is sorted.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/30/19 7:09 a.m.

RX8 or 2nd gen RX7.

There is ls1rx8.com who has kits and runs the ls powered rx8 Facebook page.  There are a bunch of ones running.

The gauges are pretty easy apparently but you are left with some warning lights.  You can use stock exhaust manifolds of a ls3 Camaro if I remember correctly. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/30/19 7:31 a.m.

Put it in the back seat of a Corvair, less nose heavy than a Miata.  Cars other than a Corvair?

tooms351
tooms351 Reader
4/30/19 7:40 a.m.

https://youtu.be/y60TonnOZ-g 

Here's the easy button, for me. An 86 944 turbo with a Carb 350.  The car weighed around 2900lbs with interior. This was with open rear and stock torsen bars. The track is Sebring club course with two passing zones, cars leave grid at 4:30. The kid in the brz was a novice who couldn't find the brake pedal lol.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
4/30/19 7:54 a.m.

S10 would fit the bill here as well. They are cheap and can be easily upgraded with other parts-bin Chevy stuff.

I believe you can do coilovers from a B-body up front and then lower the rear with leaf springs and throw on some trac bars. For brakes you have tons of options as well, same for sways.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/30/19 7:54 a.m.
Stefan said:

I don't think anyone with a brain is upset by that anymore. I think there may have been more fox bodies than 4th gen f bodies last time I went to LS  Fest. 

But yes, what do S197s with dead V6s go for these days?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
4/30/19 9:19 a.m.

I’d be looking for a 4th Gen Camaro and save the money you’d spend on sorting out a Frankenstein swap on consumables.

But that’s just the practical side in me that would rather be driving than wrenching for the next two years.

Stefan
4/30/19 10:44 a.m.
Daylan C said:
Stefan said:

I don't think anyone with a brain is upset by that anymore. I think there may have been more fox bodies than 4th gen f bodies last time I went to LS  Fest. 

But yes, what do S197s with dead V6s go for these days?

You've not met many hardcore Ford/Mustang fans, have you?

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/30/19 11:33 a.m.

Buy my fox body, LS it, sell the perfectly good 5.0.  It's not as silly as it seems.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports New Reader
4/30/19 12:07 p.m.

LS swap RX8 as cheap? 

A LS motor to start?  Pick the car, then the engine.  Sell the LS, plenty of buyers.

Why would you not use a C4 vette?   While not free, there are plenty still cheap to be found.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OJXf4w74rQj6zc3RjfRA2wE6k0P52JZZLrrO0brHmLU7e3cv17I9TmCQn0DwWZ67