1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/17 4:56 p.m.

Breaking news from Meathead Racing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
3/30/17 5:03 p.m.

It happens all the time, and it's even happened to me on a very small scale, but HOLY CRAP! How much money do you spill that you don't notice four million freakin dollars missing?

Doesn't bode well for hubby, I fear. Willful ignorance at best, partner in crime at worst.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/30/17 5:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Breaking news from Meathead Racing.

What is the threshold for "petty cash?"

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/30/17 5:13 p.m.

How the hell do you spend $90-grand at a steak house??!?!?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/17 5:14 p.m.
petegossett wrote: How the hell do you spend $90-grand at a steak house??!?!?

Soup and salad.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/30/17 5:15 p.m.

Lots of expensive hooch for 200 of your closest friends.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
3/30/17 5:18 p.m.

seen people like that. Not much sympathy for runaway arrogance. Probably could have afforded to buy the stuff she stole.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
3/30/17 5:20 p.m.

You all know the adage...

Q: How do you make a small fortune in SCCA Pro Racing?
A: Start with a large fortune (any way you have to.)

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
3/30/17 5:28 p.m.

Dayum. I'd expect someone to ask for his resignation. Turbulent times for SCCA.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/30/17 5:29 p.m.

Ouch. Knowing what my wife "could" do as both a bank employee and treasurer for her field hockey ref association is unsettling. OTOH, she had to clean up the mess from the previous treasurer using the association account as her personal overdraft protection. No worries about her pulling anything.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/30/17 5:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Soup *and* salad.

I was going to say "open bar" but you are right... it's those $13 wedge salads that look conspicuously like 1/4 head of lettuce, bacon bits and some Ken's Blue Cheese dressing.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/30/17 6:03 p.m.

In reply to Brian:

There were two recent thefts from local(IL) sports teams - one little-league, and another from a school(I don't remember the sport). The perps each had children on the teams. That's pretty damn low.

Of course, heroin additiction is pretty rampant in that area, so maybe that was the motive.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
3/30/17 6:03 p.m.

First paragraph explains it all when it states "she could be found...supplying drinks to thirsty drivers".

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
3/30/17 6:25 p.m.

Sad news. Both seem like really nice people. I bet this was going on for sometime. The local US Attorney is hardcore. I've had cases with them before. She's lucky she has a reasonable judge. Just wonder how they'll deal with restitution. Part of me wonders if he is still a target of an ongoing investigation. Not out of the question.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/30/17 6:47 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Sad news. ... Just wonder how they'll deal with restitution. Part of me wonders if he is still a target of an ongoing investigation. Not out of the question.

Hopefully here former employer had business theft insurance. And she'll likely have to forfeit her home etc. And insurance company wi)l chase her to her grave

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
3/30/17 7:13 p.m.

Shocking! I didn't know Autoweek was still in business...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/30/17 8:31 p.m.
plance1 wrote: Shocking! I didn't know Autoweek was still in business...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/17 8:53 p.m.

I think some people have some explaining to do.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/30/17 9:52 p.m.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
3/30/17 10:48 p.m.

Now, if only they'd put this much effort into going after big banks and big banker. Hell, how about wells fargo.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
3/30/17 11:52 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

http://www.hillstone.com/

Grate food, price not so good

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/31/17 6:59 a.m.

This is why we can't have nice things.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
3/31/17 7:42 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: It happens all the time, and it's even happened to me on a very small scale, but HOLY CRAP! How much money do you spill that you don't notice four million freakin dollars missing? Doesn't bode well for hubby, I fear. Willful ignorance at best, partner in crime at worst.

It does seem to happen too frequently. During the recession, my uncle was really struggling to keep his business afloat only to find that his wife (who never worked) of nearly 30 years had "siphoned" the best part of a million dollars from the household accounts for her own purposes which apparently didn't include him.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
3/31/17 7:44 a.m.

I will say one thing. Se had good taste.

How could hubby not have seen all of this?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/31/17 8:15 a.m.

A friend of mine's father-in-law was a regional bank VP. He embezzled something in that league about 10 years ago. He did a 4-year stretch and now he's the office gopher at my friend's small professional business.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ItELeJj0gG64gZ4NVs4jABun6tF93vyf3gJ0mBHhY7vAgygr5s1lMyRpq8RcoDob