granth
granth New Reader
2/8/11 4:12 a.m.

Pro/Con's

Second Strike vs Digital MSD 6AL, what do you all think?

Ignition Box, Second Strike, Digital, Capacitive, Inductive Discharge, Universal, Electronic, Racing, Each

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-500/

TIA...

Don49
Don49 Reader
2/8/11 7:32 a.m.

I think it's about $100 more than the MSD. I have the MSD6AL on my race car and it has been very reliable. I'm not sure what the advantage of the Pertronix unit would be.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/8/11 8:41 a.m.

MSD 6A series is pretty much the default unit for many race cars. I saw 2 of them in one of the Busch brothers' NASCAR car. I asked the driver (I think it was Kurt) why 2 and he said they will sometimes have different rev limits and switch between them.

granth
granth New Reader
2/8/11 9:37 a.m.

they have because if one fails they can switch to the other, if the second strike fails it will then just run off the coil, not sure MSD box can do that, hence two boxes....

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
2/8/11 10:13 a.m.

The vehicle will not run if the MSD unit is dead. It fits between the timing system (points, ECU, whatever) and the coil, and is a capacitive discharge system, pulsing the coil with a blast of high voltage.

granth
granth New Reader
2/8/11 11:31 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: The vehicle will not run if the MSD unit is dead. It fits between the timing system (points, ECU, whatever) and the coil, and is a capacitive discharge system, pulsing the coil with a blast of high voltage.

right, for MSD, but per Pertronix if the second strike fails the car can still run. I do not have one yet but that is what I have been told...

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
2/8/11 8:24 p.m.

Canoe!

canoe1

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/8/11 8:36 p.m.

nice photoshop

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
csy5bgHXqBqDOSw2LiPJtBYEvQzXRxzvehG2daUZz6k3puGDucglTZ9Ja19sVxn6