Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/19 2:42 p.m.

Hi I'm Stampie and I'm a wheel whore. My fetishes tend towards odd number sizes particularly 13s and 15s. I really love vintage 70s wheels. I'm not a sick bastard like Dusterbd13 so no billet for me thank you. 

I saw these on a 73-77 Monte Carlo and was struck not only by the style but the fact they are alloys on a 70s American car. Anyone know what they are?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/19 2:47 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/4/19 2:50 p.m.

They're missing a center portion, but for the life of me I can't picture it. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
6/4/19 2:55 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/4/19 2:57 p.m.

Im a sick bastard, and approve of this thread.

Also, i approve of those wheels/hubcaps/whattheberkeleyever

Stampie
6/4/19 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Those are some damn good looking hubcaps but now I'm disappointed because I'm a wheel whore not a hubcap whore. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/4/19 3:09 p.m.

If you become a hubcap whore, tires get a lot cheaper than being a wheel whore.....

Stampie
6/4/19 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I shall not cheapen in my whoreness. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/4/19 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

If you are a wheel whore and in this case you were wrong...does that make you a Dumb Whore? devil

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/4/19 3:21 p.m.
Stampie said:

I shall not cheapen in my whoreness. 

...but not a Cheap Whore?

Stampie
6/4/19 3:25 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Every whore gets tricked every now and then. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/4/19 3:32 p.m.

Are those alloys, or are they steel and rubber?  Or am I the only guy here old enough to remember when factory mags weighed 40 pounds a wheel?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/19 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

i believe they are called PolyCast and they're basically a steelie with some kind of plastic/rubber molded on.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
6/4/19 3:50 p.m.

I’m sicker than you, my favorite wheels are the magnesium Pin Drive knock offs from the first Chaparrals  

i also have a strange fetish for Wire wheels as long as they are actual knock off wire wheels and not those phoney bolt on. 

I also lose real Halibrand  mag wheels 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/4/19 6:23 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I remember them well, although I had forgotten the name.  Even in 1976, I thought they were a dumb idea, being so heavy.  Probably not as dumb as chrome plated alloy wheels from the last couple of decades, though.  At least the polycast would hold air after they were ten years old.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
6/4/19 8:10 p.m.

Simmons wheels are my weakness - I buy them even when I don't have a car to put them on.  I thought the 'polycast' term applied to the 70 - 76 honeycomb wheels found on T/A's, GTO's etc.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/4/19 8:48 p.m.

In case you lower your standards...

Polycast

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/19 9:42 p.m.

“Polycast” was the name for the process patented by Motor Wheel, an OE supplier to GM.  I present to you a screenshot of an article from Hemmings Motor News:

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
6/4/19 9:52 p.m.

Yup.  Polycast.

OMG did they vacuum....

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/19 10:20 p.m.

I have seen 14” mesh polycast wheels on a camaro once in my lifetime.  They were on a parts car and were thankfully not removed prior to scrapping

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/5/19 11:54 a.m.

Sorry, wheel Whores laugh at your monte wheels.

i can say this, I have twenty sets of wheels in my barn, nine for my 300ce. Some are OE and I just saw a set of those Monte wheels on CL and thought they looked cool lol.

Stampie
6/6/19 7:17 a.m.

As with most whores I can't keep but thinking about wheels every waking moment. Saw these this morning. Same bolt pattern as a Model A. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VkuYJxQjJmH8cz5wNq5HzBFPwUZzZZKu5V1BMzcDh79n82PLlBtCUgiqmi77yap8