1 2 3 4
Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/14/12 9:29 p.m.

Waaaaaay back my freshman year of college, I built a 1991 Mazda RX-7. This one, if fact: I didn't drive it near enough, and unfortunately, days after graduation I had to pack up my E36 M3 and and drive halfway across the country... the car couldn't come.

Knowing I would never get the value of the rebuilt, streetported engine, I sold just the car, and kept the engine. So the engine sat, in hibernation, until now.

As some of you are aware, I recently bought a Chevy Astro. It's a much better car than expected, and it's good condition enabled me to sell my beloved WRX wagon to a friend (no need to have TWO useful cars, right?). Now, what to purchase as a toy? Might as well use that 13B I've got doing nothing! But what? An RX-3 would be great, but they're getting thin on the ground. Another FC? Ehh, I want something that will or will soon be able to get a historic plate. Duh, an FB! So I bought one.

1985 GSL-SE. These are, if you don't know, fuel injected, so I don't have to bother with carb voodoo, or wiring voodoo. Better brakes, LSD, and common bolt pattern on the axles don't hurt either. So here I am, same heart, older body.

Day 1: Prepping the engine for cleaning

Pretty short work tonight, stripping the block down to clean it and prep it for creating the hybrid S5 manifold setup for the GSL-SE.

Before:
After:

Not exactly hard work, but there's something comforting about working on a engine you know inside and out, not to mention the engine that introduced me to cars.

Tomorrow, maybe, some sandblasting.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/12 9:37 p.m.

Subscribed!

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/14/12 9:40 p.m.

Can't wait!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/14/12 9:41 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Subscribed!

Good, you can harass me when I start slacking.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/14/12 9:50 p.m.

I love first gens. They were my favorite buy it "broken" car for several years. I always wanted a really well done GSL-SE. This will be a fun build to watch.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/12 9:46 a.m.

Watching this.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/12 9:53 a.m.

I love GSL-SEs. If I could find a fairly original brown one, I'd jump all over it.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/15/12 10:07 a.m.
Woody wrote: I love GSL-SEs. If I could find a fairly original brown one, I'd jump all over it.

Where are you? I found a few in my search...

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/15/12 11:00 a.m.

I've had a soft spot for FBs since I gave up on my last one. It's hard to keep a project going when it's got no title, you've been through two engines, and you're a broke college kid that can't afford it. My roommate never lets me live that one down.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/15/12 12:04 p.m.

Awesome.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/12 1:36 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Woody wrote: I love GSL-SEs. If I could find a fairly original brown one, I'd jump all over it.

Connecticut.

dean1484
1/16/12 10:29 a.m.

I have always wanted to do a FB but put a miata suspension under it. Then add the motor from a TII.

OR

(And this is probably just completely crazy)

Put the motor form a millenia s in a FB. I did a bunch of research on that motor and it is an engineering marvel. The split block and girdle type main caps were way ahead of its time. If only they put it in a configuration and platform that was more adaptable.

J308
J308 Reader
1/16/12 10:36 a.m.

Legit, Had an '83 Limited when I was 17 and loved it.

Most fun I've ever had behind the wheel. Congrats!

dean1484
1/16/12 10:45 a.m.

I have had 3 or 4 FBs. All had different personalities. All were great cars. I think I liked my 85 GS (or maybe it was a GSL) I don't remember exactly. The best. I purchased it as a pile of parts and a shell in primer for $250. A friend and I halled it home on a Friday and in two days put enough of it back together so I could drive it to work on Monday. I also really liked the interior of the 85's as compared to the early FBs.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/16/12 10:49 a.m.

Sweet!

I gave my neighbor beer money ($50) in exchange for an '85 GSL a few years ago. It had a locked up engine but was 100% rust free and 99% dent free. If I hadn't spotted my old Scoob on my way to work one day that GSL would be rumbling around with a 302 under it's hood right now. I really liked how that car was built.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/16/12 10:50 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Connecticut.

That was a bit out of my search range, I'm afraid.

dean1484 wrote: I have always wanted to do a FB but put a miata suspension under it. Then add the motor from a TII.

Someone on GRM tried that... I think it got stalled out.

Speaking of stalled out, the sandblaster is broken. Booo.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/16/12 10:55 a.m.

Where did you find that car? Does it have over 250,000 miles? I had one exactly like like it, including the missing paint in the same spots.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/16/12 10:57 a.m.

The Miata rear suspension one did get done and had a 302. IIRC it was one of the Clemson guys.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/16/12 10:58 a.m.

Count me in on story time.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/16/12 10:59 a.m.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2560399/1985-mazda-rx-7

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
1/16/12 11:10 a.m.

I will be watching this with interest. I want to do the same to my SA. Ground up restoration. I hope to start when I get a house.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/16/12 12:13 p.m.

I have 2 FBs now and have owned around 20 rotary powered cars, watching with interest

dean1484
1/16/12 12:14 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I will be watching this with interest. I want to do the same to my SA. Ground up restoration. I hope to start when I get a house.

Start before unless you are getting a new house they will consume all your time and $$$$ for a while. I am two years in to this house and it is only as of late that I am getting back to car projects.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/12 1:25 p.m.

So what did you do all day Sunday, watch football? Get back to work you lazy bum!

HunterJP
HunterJP GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/16/12 1:42 p.m.

What is it with you Air Force guys and Rotor motors? LOL. My buddy Fitz does the flying thing for the guberment, and has a very nice FD. It is back in Florida now, though, as he picked up a new M3 this last winter.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IeT0CPPhR6FQmis2HF4qMKK3lotrAUgZPUDUY3MtRJcSVVci8SwMxL98XT2xY2Zm