1 2 3
NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/3/18 9:09 p.m.

Let me start by saying I apologize for skipping the what car thread, but I found what felt like the right car for the right price and made the deal.  

I had been looking for a 2.5L swapped NC MIata.  I hear people say the NC is not a "real" miata, but as a bigger guy (6'4") this was the right Miata for me. Also, I am currently living with my in-laws while my wife and I build a house (will have a build thread once we break ground). So, a project car or one that would require extensive modifications for me to fit was off the table.  

I had been searching the Facebook Marketplace, Miata.net, and Craigslist in various regions and spoke to several different sellers about different cars, but all of them went sideways for one reason or another. One side thought, I feel like NC miata are going the way of the C5 corvette where there are tons of  mileage garage queens where the owner thinks they are worth 80% of their original retail value because they wipe them down with baby diapers every night. I cant tell you how many ads I saw where a 2006-2009 Miata with less than 30K miles (often in an automatic) was listed for $22,000+...*end rant* 

One night I decided to go to Google and type in "2.5L swapped Miata for sale" just to see if there was a forum or classified ad I had missed. Unexpectedly, one pop-ed up as the 5th hit on Tulsa Craigslist.  Listed 4 days ago at the time I found the listing. The car itself checked 90% of my boxes as is.  The next day I spoke to the seller who was very knowledgeable about the car and what had been done.  Two days later I had a family member of a trusted friend go take a look at the car.  His feedback, "This thing doesn't need anything but gas".  Ran Carfax, clean. Ran Autocheck, clean.  That afternoon I shot the seller and offer, we negotiated a bit and came to a fair middle ground.  Deposit sent. ... ... Now, I just have to get it home...

But, first let's look at the car:  

Link to Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9i7zVrYoZb3xaySA6

The plan is I am flying to Tulsa International (TUL) first thing on 9/12.  I will land 9:45 local time and the current owner will pick me up and we will close the deal.  From there, I have 3 days to complete an 18 hour drive from Tulsa, OK to Melbourne, FL.  I have not figured exactly what this will look like, but if people have recommendations of "must sees" please throw them out.  

I'm sure I missed a bunch of things, but I'm so stoked.  A fly and drive is a bucket list item for me.  I will add more pictures in the near future.  I also plan to use this thread as I make my way home. 

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
9/3/18 10:51 p.m.

If you like pizza and have the time, Joe Momma's in Tulsa is really good.

Oh and if time permits the Blue Whale is not too far away and the Center of the Universe is a fun stop as well.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/4/18 4:46 a.m.

Cool

i

If there is significant hurricane damage this week in the Mississippi Coast then for the southern route that could mean "no hotel rooms". 

The map states that the southern route takes an hour longer but it also doesn't cause you to through Atlanta which itself could cause you more than an hour delay. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/4/18 5:42 a.m.

Plenty of Route 66 attractions near Tulsa. You can find internet guides to those. Do you like car museums? Surprisingly good car museum in Tupelo, MS, and the very impressive Tallahassee Auto Museum alongside I-10. Spectacular Barber Motorsports Park and Museum near Birmingham, AL, 1600 motorcycles with a few cars. Enjoy the drive!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
9/4/18 9:17 a.m.

If you like root beer at all, stop by Weber’s when you’re in Tulsa.  Some of the best I’ve ever had.  Otherwise, drive like everyone is trying to kill you, worst driving I’ve ever seen was when I lived there.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/4/18 9:27 a.m.
Fitzauto said:

If you like pizza and have the time, Joe Momma's in Tulsa is really good.

Oh and if time permits the Blue Whale is not too far away and the Center of the Universe is a fun stop as well.

Looks like JM just reopened! That's great news!

OP I'm a Tulsa native who wishes to move back dearly. 9:45 is perfect, by the time you get off the plane get your luggage, finalize the deal, it will be lunch time. Drive the 10 minutes back to downtown (the airport is north and east of downtown) and tell me what you want to have for lunch.

McNellies, classic pub food. 
The Tavern, upscale take on classic pub food.
Laffa, great Medi-eastern place. Their mezze selection is awesome.
Prairie Brew Pub, a bit more hipster. My friends from Portland felt like they were back in Portland. If Fried Green Tomatoes are on the changing menu, have some. 
El Guapo's has great chicken mole, if you're a fan. I've discovered most aren't, but I love it.

Dilly Diner has great, wait for it, diner grub. 

Fassler Hall, fantastic sausage, duck fat fries, a glass of beer that rivals a ten-gallon cowboy hat. 

If you want to venture to Cherry street, Roosevelt's for the duck sandwich or Andolini's for amazing Italian food. Dalesandro's if you want amazing old school Italian food (Carpaccio and the like).

Brookside by Day, a few miles south of downtown in the Brookside area, is the best breakfast place in town. Hands down. It's not fancy, just an old school diner in a cool district that nails everything.

If you want to spend some time in Tulsa, Gilcrease and Philbrook are both world class museums. There is also a Frank Lloyd Wright house in the midtown area, and The Gathering Place will be open as well. It's the massive new public park the Kaiser Foundation helped build, I think so far they've spent $350 million, yes $350 million on the park.

Leaving Tulsa, I'd probably jump off at Locust Grove and take a slight detour on 82 up to Spavinaw, then take 20 over to Jay, go up to SW Missouri, drop down to Eureak Springs, then go to Memphis and start getting back down toward your location. 

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
9/4/18 9:31 a.m.

Great score! I know nothing of the 2.5 swapped NCs, but I like the idea of them. Especially when I remember how slow my NB accelerates. 

I hope it turns out to be as good as it looks 

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
9/4/18 10:37 a.m.

I'll second Laffa for a lunch joint on Wednesday I go every other week or so.  Burgers and Pizza are fighting words around here, everyone has an opinion on their favorite and there's a disproportionate number of options most are pretty good.  For lunchtime Italian I'd take Mondo's over Dalesandro's.   I've done your southern route several times although stopping in Orange beach.  It's pretty no-nonsense but I was marathon driving, there's some long dull stretches on I20 and 49 in Mississippi.   I like the middle route and if you had time see if you could swing by Barber Motorsports park in Birmingham, check out the museum there.  I'm more inclined to go out on 412 through Fayetteville, Arkansas as opposed to I40 through Ft Smith, purely arbitrary I just like the area better and know folks in the area.  Congratulations on the purchase!

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/18 11:34 a.m.

Can you extend the trip a little? Drive further east to do Tail of the Dragon then down I-95. Sure there are “better” roads, blah, blah - but what an epic start to ownership and developing a relationship. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/5/18 4:46 p.m.
glueguy said:

Can you extend the trip a little? Drive further east to do Tail of the Dragon then down I-95. Sure there are “better” roads, blah, blah - but what an epic start to ownership and developing a relationship. 

I would love to do tail of the Dragon! However, it does add 4 hours of drive time.  I will need to think that one through.  

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
9/6/18 10:10 a.m.

Looks like a score.  Nice find.

rande
rande New Reader
9/7/18 6:47 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

Yes, but how many hours does it add if you have to come back to do it?   As long as you are in the neighborhood, and if you have the time....

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/7/18 10:04 p.m.

Seems like a lot of car for the price.  Looking sharp.  We need pics and updates.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/8/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

Beautiful Car and you damn sure couldn't build it for that. If you take the southern route I think that takes you through Jackson Mississippi. The back roads down go through a lot of Blues Country in the Mississippi Delta but doesn't sound like you really will have time to stop off at Juke Joint along the way. Perchance if you do take that route hit me up when you're welcome to crash at my house as I'm about 8 hours from Tulsa in Madison Mississippi.

Honestly I think your best route for at least majority interstate and decent roads is the recommended Central route. That being said you probably could have it shipped for less than your outlay of three days travel time, fuel, Hotel , Etc. And you wouldn't be . stressing over breaking down comma problems along the way and so forth. Plus you would be rested and able to enjoy it immediately when you got it delivered in Melbourne

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
9/10/18 9:42 a.m.

Gotta go to Braums!!!!!!  And, in Tulsa,  there is a lot of route 66 stuff.  It runs through the middle of Tulsa.   David can give you a nice history lesson.   Also, the will Roger's museum if you are into that kinda stuff.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/18 3:51 p.m.

Take the southern route. With the Hurricane bearing down on the carolinas scheduled to make landfall Thursday afternoon, anything near there will probably be a mess. 

Other than that, Enjoy. I did 1200 miles in my NC to bring her home from FM. It was a great way to learn the car. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/10/18 5:41 p.m.

For us unintiated, what engine is used in a 2.5l swapped Miata?  Is it out of some other Mazda?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/10/18 6:19 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Take the southern route. With the Hurricane bearing down on the carolinas scheduled to make landfall Thursday afternoon, anything near there will probably be a mess. 

Other than that, Enjoy. I did 1200 miles in my NC to bring her home from FM. It was a great way to learn the car. 

Unfortunately, I think this is my reality. I really dislike I-10, but with the hurricane, it is the safe bet. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/10/18 6:19 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

For us unintiated, what engine is used in a 2.5l swapped Miata?  Is it out of some other Mazda?

FORD, BABY, FORD!

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/10/18 6:22 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

As Keith would say, "It is literally Ford's 4 cylinder truck engine" ;) 

Basically anything with the Mazda or Ford emblem on it that came with a 2.5L I4. Fusion, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Escape, etc. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/10/18 6:23 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

And don't forget it was designed as a joint venture by Ford and Porsche!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/18 6:38 p.m.

You can take I20 across. Not much better than I10 but you can avoid the Baton Rouge/NO mess. Just don't be surprised by some of the odors in Monroe. There is a funk there for sure. From there, take US 80 and then US 231 back down to I10 just before Birmingham. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/18 6:50 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

If you end up passing by Biloxi let me know! I’m pretty much always home & your either welcome to stop by or I could meet you somewhere if you have the time/need a break. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/10/18 7:03 p.m.

Sounds like a cool car and cool trip!  Good luck. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/10/18 7:43 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to NordicSaab :

If you end up passing by Biloxi let me know! I’m pretty much always home & your either welcome to stop by or I could meet you somewhere if you have the time/need a break. 

I wish I was, but current plan is to go through Jackson and pickup I-10 further East than Biloxi.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tx234fBrS5Kr93vDaQbJuNanTBCSXYpyCEuOzNQTo1q0bFJzA3yUI2Zb1N4BkUah