1 2
Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/19/14 6:48 a.m.

...dammit. I really don't need one, I'm happy with 2 cars. I don't feel like spending the $. It's not going to be long before Winter hits Ohio & it sits in the garage. ....but damn it doesn't look bad and it's stupid cheap.

Project car bought about a year ago, dad died this summer and he says he has too many projects now. He was asking $2500 but when I asked him about it he said he wouldn't sell it to me for that. He said the front clip was replaced & doesn't like the way they did it, and the frunk needs work. He said he'd sell it to me for $1500.

In my mind that's 1996 Ford Taurus on craigslist beater $, not running decent supercharged MR2. I've said for years if I ever found a decent SC I'd buy it. Oh, did I mention he also has the full Prothane suspension kit and springs/KYBstruts he's giving with it & will help install for free?

Now I'm going to look at it on Sunday.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/19/14 6:50 a.m.

The bottom photo were the funky wheels it had when he bought it, old photo. The other photos are more recent and with the regular wheels that were included. I kinda don't mind the old funky one's really.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
9/19/14 6:55 a.m.

Nice Mr2. Hard to go wrong on this one!

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
9/19/14 7:00 a.m.

Nice! I saw a red 1g for sale at a buy here pay here lot in Hamilton last week, didn't see a price. The wife and I both miss our MR2's.

wae
wae HalfDork
9/19/14 7:18 a.m.

I would think that unless that thing is complete swiss cheese rust underneath, $1.5k is a bargain!

stan
stan UltraDork
9/19/14 7:18 a.m.

I miss my MR2 also...

Drive it and if it tracks ok (not sure what was replaced on the front) and the frunk isn't too bad.

Buy it.

Hard to get one that rust free for that price, let alone it being SC...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/19/14 7:27 a.m.

I sold my SC back in 2004. I would like to have another.
Even back then, I remember that rear axles were hard to find. Seems that the SC's had different/stronger axles and everyone who did a turbo or SC upgrade wanted a set of real SC axles.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/19/14 8:00 a.m.

Wow, nice car.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/19/14 8:03 a.m.

In reply to wae:

It's Mike Helm's car. He's always been my go-to guy when I had the white MR2. Races a MK1 in club racing, has always had 2-3 cars at any given time, knows these cars inside-out. I trust him implicitly. Can't wait to see this thing in person now.

wae
wae HalfDork
9/19/14 8:08 a.m.
Jerry wrote: In reply to wae: It's Mike Helm's car. He's always been my go-to guy when I had the white MR2. Races a MK1 in club racing, has always had 2-3 cars at any given time, knows these cars inside-out. I trust him implicitly. Can't wait to see this thing in person now.

That makes more sense all of a sudden. I was trying to figure out the angle of a craigslist guy offering to help you install struts and bushings at some point and in my mind that kept ending in murder, rape, or murderape.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
9/19/14 8:18 a.m.
Jerry wrote: ...dammit. I really don't need one, I'm happy with 2 cars. I don't feel like spending the $. It's not going to be long before Winter hits Ohio & it sits in the garage. ....but damn it doesn't look bad and it's stupid cheap. Project car bought about a year ago, dad died this summer and he says he has too many projects now. He was asking $2500 but when I asked him about it he said he wouldn't sell it to me for that. He said the front clip was replaced & doesn't like the way they did it, and the frunk needs work. He said he'd sell it to me for $1500. In my mind that's 1996 Ford Taurus on craigslist beater $, not running decent supercharged MR2. I've said for years if I ever found a decent SC I'd buy it. Oh, did I mention he also has the full Prothane suspension kit and springs/KYBstruts he's giving with it & will help install for free? Now I'm going to BUY IT on Sunday.

Fixed

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/19/14 8:31 a.m.

Holy crap Jerry. Just get that thing. Then pass it on to one of us.

That two-tone scheme is frickin cool to boot.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/19/14 8:41 a.m.

As an experienced Mk1 MR2 owner, I can list the top 10 reasons you should avoid that thing:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/19/14 9:01 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: As an experienced Mk1 MR2 owner, I can list the top 10 reasons you should avoid that thing: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/19/14 9:42 a.m.
Matt B wrote: Holy crap Jerry. Just get that thing. Then pass it on to one of us. That two-tone scheme is frickin cool to boot.

I didn't like the paint at first, have to admit. But it's definitely grown on me. Very classy and understated.

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
9/19/14 9:49 a.m.

GET IT!!!!!

SEADave
SEADave Reader
9/19/14 10:04 a.m.

I was saying "get it" before I noticed it was supercharged!

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/19/14 10:43 a.m.

Just so we're clear, you think I should buy it?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/19/14 10:54 a.m.

No! We're saying avoid it like the plague. And pass his info along so the rest of us know how not buy it ourselves.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
9/19/14 11:12 a.m.
Wally wrote: No! We're saying avoid it like the plague. And pass his info along so the rest of us know how not buy it ourselves.

I, too, would like to be sure I don't accidentally purchase this as a father/son project car. For, you know, my son. Who's a great kid, BTW. Very deserving of such a project car for, you know, father/son bonding. (Quietly slides the "Think of the Children" card onto the table)

kilted_monkey
kilted_monkey New Reader
9/19/14 11:22 a.m.

If you don't buy it and it is anywhere near Ohio, I would seriously consider buying it sight-unseen for the full $2500 for a drive around the country (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/10k-to-spend-on-a-vehicle-for-a-13k-mile-all-weather-road-trip/90700/page1/)

Edit: Aw, damn. The father-son angle is too rich for my blood.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/21/14 5:06 p.m.

...and I'm buying it.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
9/21/14 6:07 p.m.

Nice! It looks gorgeous in that color, and heck, the 3 spoke wheels even make sense for some reason. Three spoke wheels never look right.

wae
wae HalfDork
9/21/14 6:20 p.m.

Sweet! Back to MR?

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/21/14 6:26 p.m.

He asked if I wanted the 3 spoke wheels, or if I would help him hurl them as far into the woods as possible. I kinda don't mind them to be honest. I have a feeling in the spring I'll find some new nice looking wheels, just not a big fan of the tear-drop originals.

And wae I think I'm staying in SA. This will be a fun street toy. The interior photos I saw didn't do it justice, except for the chewed-up steering wheel the interior looks new.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
vjaEHcDPFdYpsWfDBJW8ltaMQ1Mt0vvs