DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
12/17/10 2:22 p.m.

http://vimeo.com/3293852

Sorry.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
12/17/10 4:31 p.m.

Damnit, I was about to go do something. Thanks@!

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/17/10 5:22 p.m.

Not ruining my day. For some reason I can't view videos on vimeo. I see the first pic but no controls.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 8:58 p.m.

Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Raze
Raze Dork
12/17/10 9:31 p.m.

classic, thanks for that

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/10 10:35 p.m.

Aah, Road Atlanta before the chicane. Awesome!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/17/10 10:54 p.m.

looks like the Nissan boys didn't have a terribly good day that day. still, wonderful to watch, infinitely more entertaining than the regional TV crap that was on the 'tube in my hotel room

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/17/10 11:07 p.m.

Curse you and your awesome video!!! i have work to do!!! but it will have to wait...

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
12/17/10 11:08 p.m.

I personally like the HUGE orange tow truck lights on the top of the 300zx pace car. So awesome

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
12/17/10 11:48 p.m.

FFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

oldtin
oldtin Dork
12/18/10 12:42 a.m.

Very cool - so that's the dip friedgreencorrado was talking about. Fast course without the chicane.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
12/18/10 1:35 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Very cool - so that's the dip friedgreencorrado was talking about. Fast course without the chicane.

Yeah. A lot of the folks who never got to race that configuration are jealous of me when I mention my first Drivers' School (1992) was there.

I love that link..on Facebook, I try to post up some racing nostalgia on Saturday nights. I posted up this one over there a few weeks ago. It makes my old racing buddies over there happy, and helps my non-racing family/friends to understand why I'm the way I am.

BTW: I was a Corner Worker at that event, but IIRC I was over at Three or Four. Never saw the Nissans' accidents (although we all talked to the folks that worked the accident that night at the Worker party..) until I went home and watched the videotape. I don't think the race was live, just saw it in the TV Guide, and programmed the VHS recorder to tape it off the cable.

car39
car39 Reader
12/18/10 7:14 a.m.

Larry Nuber, man I miss that guy doing racing. He and Bob Jenkins were the reason ESPN's NASCAR coverage worked so well.

Smack35
Smack35 Reader
12/18/10 9:26 a.m.

That is awesome.

Steven

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
12/18/10 9:31 a.m.

Ass.....

Thanks though!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/10 9:33 a.m.

Thanks for sharing. Of course the related links suck you in too. Watched the '86 IMSA race after that.

dj
dj New Reader
12/18/10 10:32 a.m.

Pretty amazing stuff...I don't like watching the crashes but I simultaneously feel a desire to get a roll cage in anything with four wheels now after seeing the drivers jump out of burning heaps of steel.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/18/10 10:42 a.m.

berkeley, I have to go to work

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
12/18/10 11:10 a.m.

Wow, THREE in car cameras

The appearance and sounds of the cars has held up very well, the sounds of the opening music, not so much.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
12/18/10 11:12 a.m.

"hi everyone, my name is Larry Noober and this is my hilarious haircut"

Love it.

friedgreencorrado
12/20/10 1:25 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Very cool - so that's the dip friedgreencorrado was talking about. Fast course without the chicane.

You betcha. My first drivers' school (Road Atlanta, 1992) was one of the greatest experiences in my life. In an SCCA school back then, they started all sessions the first day with a full course yellow. In the 2nd or 3rd session, they removed the yellow from the straights. I'd been a corner worker for about six years before I got the chance to drive, and kinda knew that this would happen, since I'd actually done it as a flagger.

I don't know how or why we were on the grid this way, but the guy in front had never driven a manual transmission, and just plopped the gearbox in third or so. Poked around the place like a tourist at The Mitty. The rest of us were very pissed off that we were running around the track at something like 65mph. So when I came out of Seven and saw no yellow at Eight, I pulled out of the conga line, and landed on the throttle. Nobody followed me, I guess they should have studied the GCR a little more!

So, here I am, running down the backstraight, nobody in front of me, pointed the car into "The Dip", and my throttle leg starts shaking with fear. I realize that this is a race track, and unlike being on the street, I have no excuse to lift. I'm about to take my hand and shove it onto my right leg, when something amazing happened.

As I started down the hill, it felt almost like a physical blow to my forehead. It then crept back over the rest of my head. Maybe it was adrenaline, maybe it was something else..I really don't care. It happened. All of a sudden, my leg stopped shaking, and I could breathe again. I ran up the hill to 11, braked and downshifted (too early for real racing, I'm sure..but better than anybody else did that morning), and powered through 12, and down the front straight. "The Dip" took me from poseur to racer.

Of course, that was in a silly little SCCA ITB car with less than 200hp.

Your Mileage May Vary..

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/20/10 10:17 p.m.

FWIW....

check out this channel on Youtube. leif4444's Channel

tons of old races in their entirity and full length car flicks too!

friedgreencorrado
12/20/10 10:59 p.m.

In reply to a401cj:

Thanks!

byron12
byron12 New Reader
12/20/10 11:25 p.m.

Awesome video and nice quip about the drivers school hell yes. I have spectated at road atlanta back in those days we watched at the dip sometimes. simply wonderful thank you.

friedgreencorrado
12/20/10 11:48 p.m.

From the Mulsanne's Corner website, a study of the accidents:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/RoadAtlanta1992.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AHhdJgNxjQkZiU4A72l9Ebc5BjuYDnHMtadW0ICf2m2OR6cyJjsUgKCY1JV0iKF0