1 ... 4 5 6
JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/19/15 2:45 p.m.

you know that old saying about the best laid plans and all that. well I had the week off, wife out of town, gonna get some car stuff done, and then....

Actually doesn't look too bad all sewn up but I'll spare you the before pictures (unless you know me on FB then you saw them already) ran a chop saw though my finger, not even really sure how it happened. So that's pretty much slowed down everything I wanted to do, the 90+ degree heat isn't doing me many favors either.

With all my usual mishaps I've never had to go to the ER before so when I told the wife to grab her keys she knew it was bad and now she's paranoid I'm gonna hurt myself while she's gone and Im supposed to take it easy...meh.

But after a follow up with the doc this morning I made the truck do some work today parts arrived for my other project.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/rebuildthread-a-smart-car/104521/page1/

Sure the load wasn't much, and the distance was only 50 miles round trip but it had to get out on the highway and do stop and go in the city. All in all it performed quite well. Friggin hot though...needs A/C The guys at the freight terminal were amused.

Overall it performed quite admirably, brakes are more than adequate for the task, it goes ok on the highway, not terribly fast but I wasnt pushing it either. Fuel economy sucks, filled up at the start of the trip, 50 miles, below 3/4 nearing 1/2 on the gauge. Gauge isnt all that accurate but from the fill ups I have done thats at least 5 gallons gone.

finally located the piece of trim I was missing for the inner door panels, need to order clips and decide between keeping the POs handmade inserts, making my own, or ordering ($99) the reproduction panels. Not an urgent need either way.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/30/15 10:35 a.m.

Ok, so I know I keep saying this isnt a restoration but certain things drive me nuts. The fender badges were missing and the holes were there. Fender badges if you can find them are $100 each or more. These came up on ebay for $40 for the pair, I had to buy the 250 insterts seperately. They are not correct, they are for a 63-64 but they'll cover the holes and I've never actually seen the 66 style for the F250 (they exist but are rare) I actually like the 65 style the best. Most people will never know the difference.

Also from the "not a restoration" file, as a Custom Cab this should have stainless trim molding down the sides. This is not reproduced by anyone and as you can imagine is quite rare and valuable if you find it. I really wasn't worried about it but when I found a full set for $80...well stay tuned for adventures in stainless trim restoration and repair.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/30/15 11:01 a.m.

I want to infill the FORD on these emblems. Taking votes red or white? Im leaning toward red right now.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/30/15 11:24 a.m.

Whatever the opposite color if where it goes. If it's located on red, infill white and vice versa.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/30/15 11:35 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Whatever the opposite color if where it goes. If it's located on red, infill white and vice versa.

Yeah, it sits on the red but right below the white. I did a test with red vinyl and the color doesnt match the insert so it bothers me, I think I'll go white.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/30/15 11:48 a.m.

Yeah, I like the white better

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/5/15 9:57 p.m.

I mentioned in my last update that I managed to find a full set of Custom Cab side trim for a very reasonable price. I was kind of curious and concerned how it would be shipped to prevent bending and damage. Pretty brilliant, they laid out all the trim and taped it to a 2x6 then wrapped it all in cardboard and packing materials. Kept it straight and safe.

There's some dents dings and bends which I knew about so it will be awhile until this goes on the truck, I'll have to restore the trim first. It will give me time to save up for all the clips ($70) and new original style mirrors since the oversized towing mirrors bolt right where the trim goes.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/7/15 11:09 a.m.

As previously noted the side badges I got are for an earlier year, which means new holes. Just my luck the new holes fall in such a way as to make it impossible to get nuts on 2 of the 3 posts from behind. Instead I drilled the holes very tight to the posts and inserted rubber grommets. Once I pushed the posts through the grommets they locked in tight (I needed a prybar to get the badge back off for tweaking) I did put a nut on the one I could reach to lock it all down so they aren't going anywhere.

I like it, looking a little more "finished" now.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/7/15 3:50 p.m.

Finished out the day by wiring in the train horns. I had mounted everything previously but hadn't gotten around to the wiring. Works good, should keep the soccer moms on their toes now. Added bonus I found some wires which were doing precisely nothing so I removed those and cleaned up the wiring a bit. Still a lot more to do on that front but every little bit helps.

https://youtu.be/xVtAxW-39MU

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
9/7/15 4:01 p.m.

The red hub caps and white badgelettering look pperfect.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/24/15 6:17 p.m.

Yea! Mystery package on the porch when I got home today. As promised Ian sent me the stock aircleaner he had from a 390 FE motor. With some fresh paint and decals and some mods to fit the non-stock carburetor this is going to be perfect.

Thanks again to Ian

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/24/15 6:42 p.m.

Oh and in other truck related news, the little spots it was leaving under the rear started concerning me. I got under it the other day to put in the supports I fabbed for the rear bumper (no photos boring stuff) and realized the underside of the bed had a nice coating of gear oil slung on it by the pinion. Time for a new pinion seal. Its a Dana 60 so easy peasy but of course its an early one which requires a different (ie. not in stock at the flaps) seal than the later ones and it costs 4x as much...sigh.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
9/24/15 6:55 p.m.

Free rustproofing! Also, looks like Rock Auto has either seal, closeout SKF private label, for under $10?

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/24/15 7:17 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Free rustproofing! Also, looks like Rock Auto has either seal, closeout SKF private label, for under $10?

I had other things to order from LMC so I just got it from there, about the same price. But the late model one is under $3 at the FLAPS

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/25/15 9:40 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

I've been staring at that thing for a good 25 years... Looking forward to seeing it finally get used.

Now if anyone needs (or knows anyone that may need) the OE springs and a track-arm for a later 70's F150 4x4, I've got you covered there too...

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/25/15 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

do I ever know that feeling, I've got more random stuff in the garage that Im sure is useful to someone I just need time to go catalog it all. In the interim I just toll GRM posts and hope I see something that someone needs :)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/25/15 11:52 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Fortunately, I live in a neighborhood of car-guys. It's nice because nobody complains about the derelict Volvo and 13x20 temp garage in my back yard. To the left - a pair of GM A-bodies ('70 Chevelle 454 and a '69 GTO clone). Across the street: Ford trucks and a late 70's Continental coupe. I was talking to the latter and I'm hoping he knows someone who may take the springs off my hands. I really don't want to leave them for the scrappers.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/25/15 2:03 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to JThw8: Fortunately, I live in a neighborhood of car-guys. It's nice because nobody complains about the derelict Volvo and 13x20 temp garage in my back yard. To the left - a pair of GM A-bodies ('70 Chevelle 454 and a '69 GTO clone). Across the street: Ford trucks and a late 70's Continental coupe. I was talking to the latter and I'm hoping he knows someone who may take the springs off my hands. I really don't want to leave them for the scrappers.

There are a few car guys in the neighborhood but they are mostly checkbook mechanics with cars hidden in garages. I definitely bring down the property values but no one complains because I'm also the neighbor that can fix something in an emergency.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
10/8/15 4:42 p.m.

Finally got around to putting the new pinion seal in. All in all a fairly simple process once I got the right socket (thin wall 1 5/16) No pictures, nothing exicting to see, drop driveshaft, remove driveshaft yoke, pop out old seal, pop in new.

I pulled the rear cover and drained it, everything looks really good in there. 4.10 gears now confirmed. Cleaned and painted the cover, hate putting dirty things back on the truck. Waiting for the bolts to take a ride in the vibratory tumbler and I'll put that on with a new seal, instead of the 3lbs of RTV the DPO used.

Seem to have forgotten to buy gear oil, must put on list.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
10/25/15 7:02 p.m.

Finally finished up the air cleaner (sorta) as well Couldnt find a short enough filter element at the FLAPS but this works until I do I suppose. Cleaned up the plug wire routing as well. The yellow wires are kinda wearing on me, I'll have to get some black ones eventually.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
3/11/16 3:47 p.m.

Warm weather arrived this week, time to dust off the old girl and put her to work. First she went and picked up the new kart for autox this year. Then today I loaded up all the junk tires sitting around here to drop off at the municipal waste. It's tire amnesty month, no charge...woohoo.

Anyway, sitting in line to get in the dump and looking down at the dash the gauge bezel was really bringing it all down. I keep the LMC paper catalog around with things marked off as "need" and "want" With the want mostly being cosmetic stuff that doesnt effect the usability of the truck. Wife knows better than to buy off the need list because I probably already bought it and have it on the shelf waiting for time. So for Christmas this past year she shopped off the "want" list and had bought me a new bezel and lens. After getting home from the dump (and the HF parking lot sale) I set to work.

Nice improvement.

Before

After

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
3/11/16 3:47 p.m.

Now I guess I have to touch up the paint on the lower dash.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NM9psNWhO2qpMptBi8SzVZZrYFHH98MrlSFI6oOuvC0Vqmsh7vnazcKiAUGHlwGg