DWNSHFT HalfDork
May 18, 2013 12:07 p.m.

From Road & Track, June 2013, page 58. Caption reads "The skeletal 964 is one of two 911s here built for driver training." Photo is taken at Porsche's warehouse for factory vehicles. The photo only shows the rear of the car.

It haunts me. I just can't stop thinking about it. It's sorta like a locost, except you start with the vehicle then cut everything off and weld on a roll cage / exoskeletal frame. Sorta like an Exocet. I can't stop wondering how little it weighs. And for what possible reason Porsche did that modification for "driver training." That just doesn't compute. But I love the result!

How many other cars would benefit from this treatment? I want to see a 944 done like this.

David

DrBoost PowerDork
May 18, 2013 12:39 p.m.

I've been haunted by the beauty of that myself.

SnowMongoose Reader
May 18, 2013 12:48 p.m.

That's fantastic.

JamesMcD HalfDork
May 18, 2013 1:13 p.m.

"We can not train properly the driver if the car has a skin." Why?

SlickDizzy UberDork
May 18, 2013 1:23 p.m.

Maybe because you can see the wheels and suspension working, kinda like an open-wheeler?

mad_machine MegaDork
May 18, 2013 4:23 p.m.

and I am sure being able to see, hear, and even feel what the car is doing helps a lot

DirtyBird222 SuperDork
May 18, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Well sign me up for that training.

Maroon92 MegaDork
May 18, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Porsche has been doing this for ages. Here's one that they did with a 356 back in the 1950s.

mr2peak HalfDork
May 18, 2013 5:14 p.m.

Better visibility of apexes? Looks like a ton of fun.

Knurled UltraDork
May 18, 2013 6:39 p.m.

And here's before they started cutting, but after they removed the composite panels and rollcage:

That's it. That's all that Toyota Team Europe left of the Celica shell. Then they bolted in a spindly looking aluminum (!) roll cage, stuck some flared overfenders on, put in a 350-400hp engine, and went flying through the woods.

The0retical Reader
May 18, 2013 7:59 p.m.

It's amazing... I would also like to sign up for "driver training"

May 18, 2013 8:24 p.m.

The whole article was pretty awesome.

ValuePack SuperDork
May 18, 2013 8:58 p.m.

I've been wanting to build a street legal 90s Impreza 2.2 like that for YEARS now. 135hp is a lot more fun at 1900lbs.

ncjay HalfDork
May 19, 2013 8:58 a.m.

I admit that it's a whole lot easier to understand what the suspension is doing as you drive when you can actually see it. I was just getting heavy into racing when I got to drive a Formula Ford. Lots of little light bulbs went off as theories and principles started making sense.

Maroon92 MegaDork
May 19, 2013 9:56 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: The whole article was pretty awesome.

The whole ISSUE was pretty amazing. I haven't said that about R&T in ages.

turboswede PowerDork
May 19, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Huh, a friend has an X-1/9 done up like that. It wasn't any lighter than a stock exxie and they aren't that light for their size to begin with.

Careful consideration of the structure and the materials used is important if you're going for improved performance.

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota Reader
May 20, 2013 6:35 p.m.

Anyone else remember the RUF NATO 911?

mad_machine MegaDork
May 20, 2013 7:01 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Huh, a friend has an X-1/9 done up like that. It wasn't any lighter than a stock exxie and they aren't that light for their size to begin with. Careful consideration of the structure and the materials used is important if you're going for improved performance.

I have cut up an Exxie.. there is a -lot- of steel down low on those cars in the box sectiont that supports the engine and rear suspension. Lots of watertraps too

May 21, 2013 11:44 a.m.

In reply to ValuePack:

EJ22 + aircooled VW

It is a lot more fun.

ValuePack SuperDork
May 21, 2013 6:17 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: In reply to ValuePack: EJ22 + aircooled VW It *is* a lot more fun.

I daily drive a rotten, ratty Legacy with a perfectly serviceable low mileage dual port EJ22, don't tempt me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

4 hours ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

2017 Audi A8 L

5 hours ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

7 hours ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

1 day ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

1 day ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

2 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

3 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

3 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

6 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

6 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

1 week ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
K2QR2ZPfkpZ1J0xGwKiWffggBWBIUcq1