coll9947 New Reader
July 26, 2010 9:36 a.m.

...and see what y'all think...

Not mine, etc. etc.

Breathed on V8 Triumph TR-7

slefain Dork
July 26, 2010 9:45 a.m.

I think I'm glad it is FAR, far away from me.

Raze HalfDork
July 26, 2010 9:48 a.m.

Hrm, belt driven turbo + carb draw through setup + TR7. I'm no mathemetician but Fail + Fail + Fail = Imaginary Fail?

mad_machine SuperDork
July 26, 2010 9:51 a.m.

looks more like a supercharged TR8

Raze HalfDork
July 26, 2010 9:57 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: looks more like a supercharged TR8

That's what I was thinking, I've never seen a belt driven turbo like that...

pete240z Dork
July 26, 2010 10:07 a.m.

Dealer selling car. "Victory Park and Sell".

No clue what they are selling. It is belt driven blower.

The dealer knows about cup holders and CD players.

mndsm HalfDork
July 26, 2010 10:10 a.m.

Looks like fun to me.

Also- that is clearly an example of quantum fail-sics. Eventually, if you fail hard enough, it comes back around the other side to awesome. I believe this vehicle has.

4cylndrfury SuperDork
July 26, 2010 10:11 a.m.

Also known as a centrifugal type Supercharger.

Vortech is a popular brand - see the bottom right of this pic...

Less plumbing thatn a Turbo, easier packaging than a Roots or screw type. These are most at home on larger displacement engines. Smaller engines will suffer from the parasitic losses of a supercharger at lower RPMs. A V8 however is a great place for one.

Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
July 26, 2010 10:13 a.m.

Thats a really old B&M supercharger kit (procharger?) that was designed to be used on Corvettes with limited under hood clearance. Its a roots-type blower NOT a cetrifugal type. BTW thats a SBC not a Rover V8 in there.

oldeskewltoy Reader
July 26, 2010 10:36 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Smaller engines will suffer from the parasitic losses of a supercharger at lower RPMs. A V8 however is a great place for one.

with a Vortec yes... but try a Rotrex, you'll be surprised

pilotbraden Reader
July 26, 2010 10:38 a.m.

That does appear to be a rootes type blower. But I bet that it has a turbo boost gauge inn the cockpit.

Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
July 26, 2010 11:28 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: with a Vortec yes... but try a Rotrex, you'll be surprised

I want to, but they don't have a kit for the 94-97s yet. How do you like it?

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
July 26, 2010 11:40 a.m.

Agreed, it was popular in the 90s: B&M forced induction supercharger drawing through dual weber carbs. Roots type blower. If it's been setup right, the throttle response should be REALLY fast. usually they were set up for 5-12 pounds of boost. Nice sound, too. Nice sleeper look to the car: no TR8 badges all over the car. If the shocks and springs have been upgraded (the OE were too soft), it should be a blast to drive. .

July 26, 2010 12:27 p.m.
1976 Triumph TR-7 V-8 Turbo WoW 5 spd trans 11 second car

Is 11 seconds how long it'll take to scatter the rear end all over the ground?

racerdave600 HalfDork
July 26, 2010 12:37 p.m.

I don't believe they made the TR-8 in '76, so it is a swapped TR-7. I think the few they brought in as test vehicles were all '78's, and they didn't really go on sale in numbers until 1980.

4cylndrfury SuperDork
July 26, 2010 12:47 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: That does appear to be a rootes type blower. But I bet that it has a turbo boost gauge inn the cockpit.

Roots types are also known as screw type, and are positive displacement - the screw pushed the air into the engine. The Centrifugal types are like the fresh air side of a turbo, they spin the air at high speed against a curved wall which slings it into the engine due to its higher velocity from the centrifugal action of the curved surfaces. Here is a pretty good animation describing the 2 types.

wearymicrobe Reader
July 26, 2010 2:29 p.m.

That looks like a old 142 blower kit, man those things are great and they can use standard carb's.

You can fit a really really big carb one of those things, I had a 1050cfm on the cobra with the 72.

Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
July 26, 2010 2:33 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Roots types are also known as screw type

Not really. Perhaps you're mistaking a screw type for a twisted lobe roots like an Eaton.

Vigo HalfDork
July 26, 2010 3:58 p.m.

This much discussion and incorrect info over what is a roots, centrifugal, twin screw, or turbo seems.. like it shouldnt be necessary here??

To all who dont know it yet, take a few minutes, learn it, and you're done.

Raze HalfDork
July 26, 2010 3:59 p.m.

man picky picky on terminology, fine, a belt driven turbo is in fact a belt driven centrifugal supercharger vs a roots, or screw type, a turbo is exhaust driven with a turbine, now is everyone happy?

CLNSC3 Reader
July 27, 2010 6:16 a.m.

That turbo looks more like a supercharger than any other belt driven turbo I have ever seen! LOL

oldeskewltoy Reader
July 27, 2010 10:59 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: with a Vortec yes... but try a Rotrex, you'll be surprised
I want to, but they don't have a kit for the 94-97s yet. How do you like it?

Don't have one, but I've been following the Rotrex for about 4+ years now... the big advantage it has over a Vortec type is the Rotrex uses a planetary drive system, which mutiplies the forces quicker then a typical Vortec does

slantvaliant HalfDork
July 27, 2010 3:43 p.m.
Raze wrote: man picky picky on terminology, fine, a belt driven turbo is in fact a belt driven centrifugal supercharger vs a roots, or screw type, a turbo is exhaust driven with a turbine, now is everyone happy?

If we were really picky, we'd call the exhaust driven rigs "turbosuperchargers".

Then we'd discuss intercoolers vs aftercoolers.

Raze HalfDork
July 27, 2010 3:47 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote:
Raze wrote: man picky picky on terminology, fine, a belt driven turbo is in fact a belt driven centrifugal supercharger vs a roots, or screw type, a turbo is exhaust driven with a turbine, now is everyone happy?

If we were really picky, we'd call the exhaust driven rigs "turbosuperchargers".

Then we'd discuss intercoolers vs aftercoolers.

Yeah but what about turboboosters and expensive torques?

TJ SuperDork
July 27, 2010 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

That's what I was going to say....I think we can just call it a torquobooster and call it a day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

1 day ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

1 day ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

2 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

2 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

2 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

3 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

3 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

3 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

3 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

4 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
OmBKkEaGQqCuqj3PUHm074WFbpJQpy2I