1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 11:45 a.m.

So SWMBO's 01 Grand Prix GT tested positive for CO in the coolant, which means the head gaskets are toast. It's been a pretty great car for 9 years and 85K miles we've had it (has 153K on it now), but with everything it needs (fuel level sender, PS rack and pump, and now head gaskets), it's time to punt. I know I could fix it, but the idea of cradle-dropping that pig in the garage or pulling the back head from the top while draping over the motor is putting me off. Not to mention that despite how clean it is, it's probably a $2500 car tops totally fixed. SWMBO says to sell it for a grand to another enterprising mechanic, which I'm cool with. Now we're shopping... for a Prius.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
11/25/15 11:56 a.m.

Good move. I would probably do the same.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/25/15 11:57 a.m.

Proper course of action.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
11/25/15 11:58 a.m.

Yeah those late 90s early 00s GM cars aren't worth it after a certain point

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing New Reader
11/25/15 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Every time I pass a Prius I downshift and accelerate loudly...

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork

It happens, i dont think anyone enjoys working on those. We ditched my wifes 98 back in 06

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

I just did that with my work van. It needed $5K in repairs. I spent that much buying another truck with 1/4th the mileage.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 12:08 p.m.

Chevy Volts are pretty inexpensive now and are a bit more "peppy" compared to the Prius.

I can't fault your logic, Wife's car has probably another couple of years and I'm just not interested in fixing street cars anymore. Race cars are so much more fulfilling to work on to me.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/15 12:24 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: In reply to Javelin: Every time I pass a Prius I downshift and accelerate loudly...

Chip on your shoulder, much?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/25/15 12:25 p.m.

Smart move, nothin' wrong w/ that.

My '02 GP SE w/ around 90K had started the nickel/ dime thing. All the dealer would allow on trade was auction price at $2500. I took it and didn't look back, I wasn't gonna do the codes/ detail/ fix up thing anymore, didn't want to turn another wrench on that car... see ya. I did drive away w/ a nice S197 though, reasonably priced so it all worked out.

I like the Volt idear too. Good luck hunting.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
11/25/15 12:51 p.m.

Bummer. I still have a soft spot for those w-bodies... Even with that god awful 3.4.....

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
11/25/15 12:56 p.m.

Smartest move I think.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
11/25/15 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

I like 'em too, but they are worth so little that unless you really love the car a big repair puts you past the point of no return $$ wise. Some wrench will be glad to get it, fix it and flip it for 2500 and maybe make 500 to 1K after all is said and done cause parts are still cheap.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/25/15 1:02 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
WildScotsRacing wrote: In reply to Javelin: Every time I pass a Prius I downshift and accelerate loudly...

It's actually worse the other way. Nothing like getting the bird while driving the truck from a Prius owner who then does 90. Apparently I didn't acknowledge his smugness well enough.

WildScotsRacing
11/25/15 1:08 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:

Nah, I've been doing that since the first hybrids came out (Insight, gen 1 Prius, etc.) because it was well known that the first demographic to buy them were the militant and mis-guided envirolibs who were convinced they were "saving the planet". Even now, there is a 50/50 shot that one of them will be behind the wheel. It's just my personal protest at them for wanting to ruin/outlaw anything fun.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/25/15 1:12 p.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing:

Way to stick it to the "misguided envirolibs". They're probably reading this forum right now and becoming incensed at your attitude towards them.

pointofdeparture
11/25/15 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

I think either action is equally ridiculous. Lots of people buy Priuses because they are a good vehicle for what they need, no anti-pollution smugness. Lots of people buy diesel trucks because they are a good vehicle for what they need, no anti-hybrid smugness.

My point is that if you are so upset by someone else on the road's choice of vehicle that you have to go out of your way for some sort of "gotcha" moment against them, especially when it's completely unsolicited and unwarranted, you are waaaaay too wrapped up in your own ego...whether you are a coal roller or a condescending hybrid owner.

The Volt, Prius, etc are great vehicles for certain needs and why so many people feel that warrants some kind of retaliation just baffles me.

/rant

WildScotsRacing
11/25/15 1:58 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

I know several folks who picked them up used strictly for the fuel savings, and they're not the ones I have an issue with. But it's the condescending enviro crowd that trips my trigger. They see my lowered car with fat tires and rumbly exhaust and just "know" that I must be an unfeeling polluter, and if they truly had their way, anything short of what they perceive to be "responsible transportaion" would outlawed and punishable with prison. Multiple times I have had electric and hybrid drivers (ironically complete with that "COEXIST" bumper sticker) cut me off with hand gestures, entirely unprovoked by me. What they don't have a clue about is that with my engine build and careful dyno tuning, that car not only makes way more power than stock, it gets better gas milage and burns cleaner doing it. So, no I'm not making fun of the car choice at all, but I do jerk their colective chain occasionally for a harmless chuckle. At least I don't drive rudely and cut them off.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/25/15 2:09 p.m.

Selling an old, breaking GP for a Prius makes perfect sense. I don't think you'll regret it.

We like our Prius enough that even after buying a much fancier and faster hybrid, we still kind of cant bring ourselves to get rid of it. It's a great car even @ 246k miles.

And it case it wasn't already made abundantly clear (........), internet dick waving about how you stereotype huge swaths of people and throw them all under the bus over the few bad apples you base your stereotypes on is not only ironically the exact same thing you are bitching about in the first place, it's just dumb and it looks bad. Stop doing it, or at LEAST stop talking about it.

But if you don't, you will still find some comfort here. There are a LOT of people on this forum who indulge themselves similarly. It comes up all the time. Basically the worst thing about this forum.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/25/15 2:16 p.m.

I am heavily thinking of buying one JUST to use the HOV lanes to avoid a few major traffic backup spots on my 50mi commute. In VA with "clean energy" plates you use the HOV lanes without 2+ people legally. Avoiding the main 64E to 264E interchange would be worth about 10min every day for me.

Will definitely need some interesting bumper stickers to indicate I'm not a tree hugging fart sniffer or whatever it is many Prius drivers do.

pointofdeparture
11/25/15 2:21 p.m.

In reply to flatlander937:

Don't forget the "LIBTARD" vanity plate.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
11/25/15 2:38 p.m.

That sounds like the best reason to buy a prius that I've ever heard. I love to hear a sweet car with a good sounding exhaust. If I get treated to that every time I go out for a drive, well, sign me up!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 3:09 p.m.

Wow, that escalated quickly...

SWMBO basically only drives in town. The GP gets 18MPG in the real world, the Prius will probably get 48. Also, she wants a mid-sized hatch, so it's pretty much the Prius or... Besides the fact that I will never own a GM again, the Volt is out due to the stupid 2+2 seating. It's not nearly as versatile inside, especially with small kids.

Our big choice is Certified Pre-Owned (there's a 12 with 33K miles for 17K or a 14 with 9K miles for $20K, both loaded up), or a new one that's just been deeeeeeply discounted (like $4K+ off invoice) for $21K, but it's a package 2, which basically has nothing.

WildScotsRacing
11/25/15 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Come on guys, I don't stereotype (most) drivers based on what they are driving. And besides, none of the "normal" folks driving a Prius etc., are even going to notice when I do it. And, it's no worse than the PETA forum trolling that some otherwise upstanding citizens occasionally admit to

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/25/15 3:36 p.m.

At least you know your limits with fixing it and know when to move on and such. A Prius would be a good appliance for the application you have. Heck, I wouldn't mind a Prius V Wagon w/all the driving I do.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iusiVG8Zrqyow18E6ihrBWfNUYtJVyKDiATXli4EetbFrCozIA7dB5ReTwse9Xpq