1 2 3
snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/1/12 10:02 a.m.

I remember my first car, a 2000 Toyota Echo. You mocked me for it, it was losing power, and I sold it for a Sienna, which I traded for the shell of a Dip. I want a more fuel efficient car, because these gas prices are a massive hit on my pocket book. That's when I was surfing Kijiji, and I found a lightly modified 2001 Focus. It looked clean, the engine bay looked in good condition, the body was stock, and the interior looked clean. I arranged a test drive, and it drove OK. I then asked if I could put it up on stands, and see underneath. The owner said sure, and I jacked up the front right corner of the car, and removed the wheel. I almost coughed up a clot the size of a Twinkie. The springs have been cut, and the main spring welded itself to the shock absorber. I decided to leave the deal. Then, I dug up an old copy of Car And Driver, and I saw the Echo Vs. Focus stats. The Echo's faster to 60, and gets better MPG. Now, I want one again. I got on the net, and I saw The World's Fastest Lotus on Drive. The Lotus had a Toyota engine, so I figured I could strap a turbo onto it, a set of performance brakes, and some Falken rubber. I could run it up and down the country roads. What do you think?

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/1/12 10:07 a.m.

Very yes.

I remember video of a Echo that had been outfitted for Trackdays that did ok. I like them I just wish they had a hatch instead of the trunky thing.

The Paseo is not a bad car either.

failboat
failboat Dork
5/1/12 10:12 a.m.

whatever. its not really much different than a yaris, and people go nuts souping those up.

snap_understeer
nocones wrote: Very yes. I remember video of a Echo that had been outfitted for Trackdays that did ok. I like them I just wish they had a hatch instead of the trunky thing.

Only in Canada, my friend

scardeal
scardeal Dork

Methinks in Canada they offered a hatchback version of the Echo.

snap_understeer
5/1/12 10:16 a.m.
failboat wrote: whatever. its not really much different than a yaris, and people go nuts souping those up.

Yes, but the problem is the Yaris is it's a 1000% F&F Wannabe car. This thing will be a total sleeper, because of its sheer unanimity in traffic. Did i mention it came in beige?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/1/12 10:23 a.m.

to be completely honest, i hated the Echo's looks when they came out, but now i like the cars and wouldnt mind owning a manual 2dr.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
5/1/12 10:26 a.m.

Could you import a Echo hatchback from Canada yet? I've always liked the look of these much better than the sedan.

Toyota Echo hatchback

failboat
failboat Dork
5/1/12 10:28 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote: Yes, but the problem is the Yaris is it's a 1000% F&F Wannabe car.

Why do you say that? And how is the Yaris any different than any other subcompact?

I don't have a Yaris and I don't particularly like them myself, but I'm curious about your reasoning.

I can see how a dorky echo sedan is more of a sleeper though. I just meant that their powertrain is pretty much the same as the yaris I believe. People that throw a lot of money at them are well into the 300hp range

snap_understeer
5/1/12 10:37 a.m.
failboat wrote:
snap_understeer wrote: Yes, but the problem is the Yaris is it's a 1000% F&F Wannabe car.
Why do you say that? And how is the Yaris any different than any other subcompact? I don't have a Yaris and I don't particularly like them myself, but I'm curious about your reasoning. I can see how a dorky echo sedan is more of a sleeper though. I just meant that their powertrain is pretty much the same as the yaris I believe. People that throw a lot of money at them are well into the 300hp range

There was a guy in Guelph with a total F&F JDM Bosozuko-esque tricked out Yaris. He wrapped it around a pole trying to pass people on the unpaved shoulder. I don't wanna be him. The echo had a slightly less restricted engine, and this was a factory-available yaris:

My point exactly.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
5/1/12 10:58 a.m.
snap_understeer wrote: There was a guy in Guelph with a total F&F JDM Bosozuko-esque tricked out Yaris. He wrapped it around a pole trying to pass people on the unpaved shoulder. I don't wanna be him.

Don't drive like a douchenozzle, and you won't be him. The car matters little.

snap_understeer
5/1/12 11:05 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote:
snap_understeer wrote: There was a guy in Guelph with a total F&F JDM Bosozuko-esque tricked out Yaris. He wrapped it around a pole trying to pass people on the unpaved shoulder. I don't wanna be him.
Don't drive like a douchenozzle, and you won't be him. The car matters little.

You're right, but the base Yaris is a spinster car, and the RS is a boy racer. The Echo is in-between and I love it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
5/1/12 12:16 p.m.

When I read the thread title I thought you'd bought a Miata.

snap_understeer
5/1/12 1:40 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: When I read the thread title I thought you'd bought a Miata.

Not yet, I'm still saving for the Turbo on the upcoming Echo

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
5/1/12 1:43 p.m.

I test drove an Echo hatch when they first came out, and liked it. I much prefer the Yaris' looks though, and I've never seen one riced out.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
5/1/12 1:59 p.m.

I really wish we had gotten the Echo hatch. I spent a fair amount of time trying to convince my wife that an Echo would make a sweet comuter that I could also autocross. I failed in that. Recently I revisited the argument but with the Mazda2 and was successful. I'm not sure that the 2 is that much better, at least considering the relative cheapness of the Echo on the used market. I'd get one and rock it hard. Not quite as hard at the guy locally that has a Pep Boys hood scoop on his, but pretty hard.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/12 3:28 p.m.

Man card? You need to hand in your brain. The local Yota dealer was giving away a free Echo when you bought another car back in the day when I was at a used lot. When they came through the auctions (at 2-3 years old w/ 30-40K miles) they were totally trashed and nobody bought them. The interior is the same grade of plastic as a rubbermaid, and the exterior isn't much higher. I'd rather drive a Geo Metro or an Aries K, or a beige 4 cyl/auto Camry than one of those horrific little E36 M3boxes! You've gone mad my man, mad I say.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/1/12 7:12 p.m.

My aries K is because race car and i wouldnt mind owning an Echo.

I guess i accidentally the whole thing.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
5/1/12 8:33 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Man card? You need to hand in your brain. The local Yota dealer was *giving away* a free Echo when you bought another car back in the day when I was at a used lot. When they came through the auctions (at 2-3 years old w/ 30-40K miles) they were totally trashed and *nobody* bought them. The interior is the same grade of plastic as a rubbermaid, and the exterior isn't much higher. I'd rather drive a Geo Metro or an Aries K, or a beige 4 cyl/auto Camry than one of those horrific little E36 M3boxes! You've gone mad my man, mad I say.

Truth here.

When we picked up a few Focus ZX3's, we sampled the little Toyota for laughs-what an absolute crapheap. The Ford was superior in every way.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/1/12 10:33 p.m.

Man, i dont know. Maybe i hate the Focus interior and ford switchgear THAT much. Maybe every early focus ive worked on has been that much a POS.. Maybe ive NEVER had to repair ANYTHING on an echo..

I mean, i dont like the center-mount gauges of the echo. The exterior styling is pretty bad (but 1st gen focus COUGH). I DO think it looks better than a yaris.

Sure, Id vastly prefer a scion xA body on the same chassis, but i wouldnt be willing to pay the extra 100% price difference.

I mean really, for a reliable 35 mpg commuter for $3k, its not that bad! Its basically an uglier Paseo and we dont bitch about those too much, even if they are fairly unpopular in the enthusiast set.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
5/2/12 12:45 a.m.

I can sort of see the appeal of the Echo sleeper status, but I would rather scoop up a Celica GT. No one suspects the Celica GT.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/2/12 3:07 a.m.

you people talk about weird cars..

snap_understeer
5/2/12 8:24 a.m.
forzav12 wrote:
Javelin wrote: Man card? You need to hand in your brain. The local Yota dealer was *giving away* a free Echo when you bought another car back in the day when I was at a used lot. When they came through the auctions (at 2-3 years old w/ 30-40K miles) they were totally trashed and *nobody* bought them. The interior is the same grade of plastic as a rubbermaid, and the exterior isn't much higher. I'd rather drive a Geo Metro or an Aries K, or a beige 4 cyl/auto Camry than one of those horrific little E36 M3boxes! You've gone mad my man, mad I say.
Truth here. When we picked up a few Focus ZX3's, we sampled the little Toyota for laughs-what an absolute crapheap. The Ford was superior in every way.

Javelin: There's a reason the echo is so basic. It weighs less than one metric tonne. Try getting that out of an autotragic camry.

forzav12: Try finding a good one at my price point...

snap_understeer
5/2/12 8:27 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I can sort of see the appeal of the Echo sleeper status, but I would rather scoop up a Celica GT. No one suspects the Celica GT.

found one with a junked engine for 500 bucks. 2zz swap, maybe?

snap_understeer
5/2/12 8:32 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I really wish we had gotten the Echo hatch. I spent a fair amount of time trying to convince my wife that an Echo would make a sweet comuter that I could also autocross. I failed in that. Recently I revisited the argument but with the Mazda2 and was successful. I'm not sure that the 2 is that much better, at least considering the relative cheapness of the Echo on the used market. I'd get one and rock it hard. Not quite as hard at the guy locally that has a Pep Boys hood scoop on his, but pretty hard.

Tell her that you don't want to get your summer commuter-cross car rusted from the winter, and would like to cruise around in something that's cheap and disposable, yet reliable. Insurance is very little on these cars, and modifications will only be done when an OEM part needs replacing. Tires to Falken, Springs to Eibach, Regular air intake into cold air intake, regular muffler to glasspack. The only thing you should do immediately is install a Tachometer 'for fuel economy's sake' Convinced now?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zU6uiAu1wyiJJS9WtJyMZ4XsdGp3ACFLtV3tx5GbBXGBrvupNYct3stpOcs6KB4w