1 2 3 4 5
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/18 9:41 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

They made a G63 and a bunch of other crazy ones. I see them all the time. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 9:47 a.m.

The problem with most depreciated luxury barges is that all the tech gets expensive, fast.  Think Audi Allroad or VW Phaeton or AMG S-Class.  But the G-Wagon has the bones of a military vehicle and the build quality of a W-140 era Mercedes, so it should be as bulletproof as a vehicle can get.  They were owned by people with a LOT of money who took them hat shopping, so they are not abused and are well maintained with OEM Mercedes parts.  I think they are more like an old Volvo than an old Range Rover. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/2/18 10:15 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

If you own one, you should use it off road. I’ve seen dozens of them near me and not a single one had a spec of mud or a single scratch. 

In all fairness, to the owners more so than the manufacturer, I don't think I've ever seen one in person that appeared to have come with off-road capable wheel/tire package.  As soon as they became a trendy fashion accessory, that went right out the window.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/2/18 10:15 a.m.

They drive really horribly.  So you spend the premium to get one, deal with the mercedes parts prices etc and have something like drives like a deuce and a half.  No thank you.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/2/18 10:25 a.m.
Driven5 said:
ebonyandivory said:

If you own one, you should use it off road. I’ve seen dozens of them near me and not a single one had a spec of mud or a single scratch. 

In all fairness, to the owners more so than the manufacturer, I don't think I've ever seen one in person that appeared to have come with off-road capable wheel/tire package.  As soon as they became a trendy fashion accessory, that went right out the window.

Ever seen XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee factory tires? Wanna see the tires my Samurais came from the factory with? What about my FJ-40?

Obviously it doesn’t affect me if these don’t ever go off road, I just hate to see the inherent capabilities go unused. It’s the off-roader in me. I also don’t see what tires the factory put on them has to do with anything.

To be clear though, I’m solidly in the “if YOU like it, then DRIVE it” camp. What others think is pretty irrelevant, especially me.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/2/18 10:36 a.m.
docwyte said:

They drive really horribly.  So you spend the premium to get one, deal with the mercedes parts prices etc and have something like drives like a deuce and a half.  No thank you.

The old one's drive pretty terrible. But the one's from the 2000's don't. In my opinion. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/2/18 10:43 a.m.
grover said:

People get all weird about these and yet how many $80k trucks never tow or haul anything more than some landscape mulch? It’s your car, do what you will. 

Just like you're average new Corvette owner.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/2/18 11:14 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:
Driven5 said:
ebonyandivory said:

Ever seen XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee factory tires? Wanna see the tires my Samurais came from the factory with? What about my FJ-40?

Those were all equipped from the factory with a wheel/tire package sized to be compatible with all-terrain and off-road tires...It's not quite as easy when you're rollin on the factory 20's.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 11:20 a.m.
RossD said:
grover said:

People get all weird about these and yet how many $80k trucks never tow or haul anything more than some landscape mulch? It’s your car, do what you will. 

Just like you're average new Corvette owner.

in their defense, though, new Corvettes don't hold much mulch.   how many trips to HD you gonna make?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 11:22 a.m.
NickD said:
Wally said:

If I ever run into money the first thing I’m buying is a bright red G Wagen. Ok maybe the second thing I buy. 

Dare I ask what the first thing is?

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/2/18 11:24 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Yes.

Because everyone with a Samurai is using a 205/75R15 when they offroad...

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/2/18 11:24 a.m.
yupididit said:
docwyte said:

The old one's drive pretty terrible. But the one's from the 2000's don't. In my opinion. 

Agreed,  I’ve driven a g550 and absolutely wouldn’t call it ‘horrible’.

the g63s and g65s have a stiffer suspension,  so do ride rougher than the modern non AMG models.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/2/18 11:27 a.m.
Driven5 said:
ebonyandivory said:
Driven5 said:
ebonyandivory said:

Those were all equipped from the factory with a wheel/tire package sized to be compatible with all-terrain and off-road tires...It's not quite as easy when you're rollin on 20's.

It’s easy to get 20” MTs these days....

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/2/18 11:31 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

hat shopping! love it - and stealing it

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 12:08 p.m.
mrhappy said:

You can probably import an older one now for not much money.

Not really. Cheaper than in the US, yes, but decent ones cost a decent wedge in Europe, too.

You do get a better selection of them potentially, with the additional engine options. Or if you really want to confuse people, you could get a Peugeot G4. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/2/18 12:16 p.m.
Cotton said:

It’s easy to get 20” MTs these days....

Not that I'm aware of in the factory size (275/50) for 20" G tires...Will any of those common 20" MT sizes fit a a factory equipped G without interference issues?  If so, then great.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/2/18 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

They'll take 33"s with a slight lift

And looking at the wheel/tire sizes available, nothing that uncommon these days. 

Yupididit you new to do it. I've loved these for years because everybody that buys a Benz around here gets a C or S class, these are unique, unchanged, and, in my opinion, highly capable toys. One of only 4 MB products I'd ever consider owning. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
10/2/18 1:12 p.m.

These strike me as Wrangler Unlimiteds for rich people. I feel like they have similar buyers, just different tax brackets.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
10/2/18 1:23 p.m.

I got to drive one many years ago - it rode like an old truck. Stiff and tractor-ish. I loved it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 1:34 p.m.
Vigo said:

Defenders and and the Gs hold their value so well.

Funny you should mention that, because one way to wrap your head around Gwagen values is to look at it as "Hey, it's a Defender that's more reliable, more powerful, and has a better interior!" At least in the case of the G500. 

they both make terrible cars.. but wonderful overlanders

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/2/18 2:11 p.m.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/2/18 2:21 p.m.

Two years ago I got to drive a G63 that had a $20,000 paint job.  We only went around the block but nothing that big should move that quickly and I think it would suck to DD.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/18 2:35 p.m.

I'd be afraid of being mistaken for a Kardashian.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/2/18 3:35 p.m.

I think they are really cool, but are WAY too cost prohibitive for me to ever consider. I really like the older 2-door ones. Those ones look sweet! 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/2/18 4:19 p.m.
Lof8 said:

I'd be afraid of being mistaken for a Kardashian.

For a what?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JgbnB7SIF2yohfB7DR9QRy2cTd4gKIYVNwk8KWFp5aH3N2bTY1TY4FdkpTmeStRY