BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
6/29/19 6:25 p.m.

I'll report back after I spend some time with them.

One of the craptastic off-brand all seasons on our 2012 Focus had a slow leak and the fix-a-flat threw it out of balance so... that's a valid excuse to replace them all, right?  Now that we have a seperate set of winter wheels and tires for the car, and with a track day or two on the horizon, putting some stickier summer tires on seemed like a fun idea.  TireRack had Riken Raptor ZRs in the correct size on closeout and the price was too good to pass up.  These are rated 300tw, in TireRack's "Ultra High Performance Summer" category, so we'll find out how they hold up on the commuter car.  I'm mostly curious to see how they fare in the ride comfort and noise department.  Can't be much worse than the junk that's on there now.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/8/19 7:05 a.m.

I ran them on my Fiesta ST for about a year for daily duties. They werent a bad commuting tire at all. They are not very good in colder temps but in the wet they work great and as a highway cruising tire they just eat the miles. They didnt wear odd over about a 10k mile period and my brother in law now uses them on his Fiesta SE as a daily set. They still have a significant amount of tread life left and he has been using them for almost a year with even wear.

They are not worthy of a track day though. They will chunk the shoulders badly.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
7/8/19 7:52 a.m.

They age badly.  First year service was really good but they actually cycled out as badly as I've ever seen a daily tires.

That first year however they were really good tires, no complaints.  Even thrashing through Deals Gap in my Passat the Rikens did remarkably well.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/8/19 9:55 p.m.

Sounds about like what I’m expecting. If this car sees a track day it will be because my wife has expressed interest in trying it and I think she would be way more comfortable in her car, aka it’s not a manual.

Maybe if she gets hooked she’ll want to spring for some better track tires wink

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jeC1aPXj0eYHfg3ycILWNuOr0AQqVACt6G6CjEnKLSjd8glpvBExS1e7hEKbHv98