patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/11/14 10:39 p.m.

disclaimer: new baby = little sleep = i get my best wacky garage work done.

disclaimer 2: sorry Javelin, you expressed interest in this stuff last year and i never got back to you due to me being busy, and luckily for me i found a use for the stuff.

last winter i purchased a used electromotive EFI system for which, luckily, there is still support and updated tuning software for, at the swap meet for super cheap. the wiring was a nest of mess as it was run on a dyno, maxing out the injectors trying to fuel a 500 inch big block, and tossed in a box in a heap in favor of a carb. it came with a crank sensor bracket for a pontiac, and a blank trigger wheel with a small center hole.

i have a new project car that came with a good running 350 with a brand new shiny carburetor and a nice clean HEI distributor. the carb has hood clearance issues with the air cleaner on, and the throttle body is a good inch and a half shorter at the air cleaner mounting surface, so i did what any sane person would do. i yanked off the carb and pulled this dusty old EFI setup out of the basement.

step one was figure out how to machine a blank trigger wheel while keeping to the .003 tolerance required by the book for the crank sensor. i measured the crank bore on the balancer and verified my measurement via the internets. 1.244-1.247 is the generally measured size, so i took to harbor freight to get their step drill that has 1.25" size. boring the center to that diameter lead to a very nice fit on the crank pulley.

step two was either awesome luck or i have a highly calibrated eye. i sharpied the location of one balancer hole on the outside of the pulley by eye, then held the wheel/pulley where my sensor was going to line up with the proper tooth, and marked two holes on the wheel through the holes in the pulley. center punched by eye, drilled to 3/8, bolted wheel to pulley and marked/drilled number 3 and the whole deal bolted right to the balancer. i was concerned with runout, so i mocked up the crank sensor and set the gap to .032 then rotated the crank slowly with my eye on the sensor to wheel clearance. once around looked great, so i rotated again testing my gap at 4 points and my feeler gauge read true all around.

i am very proud of either my skills or my eye, whichever it is i wired it all up test like and sloppy with the unit sitting up on the intake, and i'll be damned if that pig didn't fire right up.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/11/14 10:58 p.m.

You win the internets for today. Congratulations!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/12/14 2:35 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
8/12/14 3:46 a.m.

You are awesome for that accomplishment. Congratulations

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/14 7:27 a.m.

Because I'm "that" guy...why is there a space in the teeth at one point, and a v-shaped notch at another?

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/14 7:40 a.m.

That's a very pretty blue. What manufacturer color is that?

patgizz
8/12/14 8:17 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Because I'm "that" guy...why is there a space in the teeth at one point, and a v-shaped notch at another?

the space is because it's a 60-2 trigger wheel. 2 teeth are missing so the computer knows where the crankshaft is. the v shaped notch is not a notch, i sharpied the 11th tooth past the notch black because that is where my sensor is supposed to be at TDC. easier to mark it out than keep counting. optical dillusion and whatnot.

patgizz
8/12/14 8:17 a.m.
Gimp wrote: That's a very pretty blue. What manufacturer color is that?

your mom

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
8/12/14 8:32 a.m.

Good job on making the switch to fuel injection.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/14 8:58 a.m.

Wow, you have quite the eye!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/12/14 9:16 a.m.

can of gas practically resting on top of a battery, what could possibly go wrong!

patgizz
8/12/14 5:17 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: can of gas practically resting on top of a battery, what could possibly go wrong!

absolutely nothing, since i cut the PO's electric fan wiring it stopped feeding constant battery power back through the ignition circuit leading to constant ignition power, and constant fuel pump on, which he solved via a loop from the pressure line to the return line. and that loop only had a clamp on the pressure line. and he tossed a fuel cell and switched electric pump in the trunk to not deal with a return style regulator, and ran the front to rear all rubber line through the back seat, under the carpet, out an ungrommeted hole on the firewall.

considering what i've done in the week i've had it, things have become exponentially safer.

on the list of stuff to fix was exhaust, fuel system, wiring, cooling system, rust repair, body work, brakes, tires. so i have added convert to fuel injection to the growing list of crap that must be done prior to october 24th.

may or may not build thread prior to challenge.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
8/12/14 8:54 p.m.

When I have a lack of sleep, just get real mean. I couldn't do that with a clear mind, let alone no sleep.

Build thread!

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
8/12/14 10:37 p.m.

Congrats on the new baby!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8JpWvLuke7ceTClpBr4VDLOXytevfMAGXxNpsQYi1UAZNhPbt68xmB6gZJ9Vf5Gs