1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/20 9:01 p.m.

I've been through that, sounds like this guy messed up in the process of losing his business and showed some remorse, can't say as much for the mechanic in the first 3 years or so of this thread:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/ae92-corolla-sr5-gts-goodies-swap-in-mini-build-th/57697/page1/

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/20 9:10 p.m.
DennisDoesEverything said:

Update:  against my better judgement I mentioned to the guy I bought it from that I'll probably be putting the white car's engine in my black car, and furthermore plan on separating it from the awesome-but-impractical storm drain sized exhaust.

I definitely didn't tell him I might go full-race-car with the white chassis; it's halfway there anyway.  Slowbird's suggestion above is uncannily accurate.

He was disappointed on all accounts, and mentioned that the teenager who'd bought the car the first time he sold it had also now passed away.  (I don't know what of.)  He never thought the car wouldn't get finished.  (I can never tell if I'm being lied to or if everyone in this story - including me - is delusional.)

I said I was sorry to hear about the kid, and that if the car means that much to him I'd entertain an offer to sell it back to him.  But he declined saying he'd already sunk all his money into his two Nissans.  Which begs the question, how much obligation do we gear heads have to history as stewards of cars with stories?

I ran it by a friend of mine who countered with a story about offering back and ultimately having to scrap a unique car.  "Holy crap," I said, "that car's still that guy's FB picture."  "I know."

I always wonder about the stories behind my cars, but now I'm thinking sometimes it's better not to know.

It's your car now.  Do with as you wish.  It's one thing if you made a promise as a condition to buy it but you own him nothing.  Not like he was looking out for your interest when he sold it to you.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k1VqeQYnNwqz5hIQNjlxVmYGPlbLFW88sXzyeSbrdjAfyfOrTm5WP7y5VzkdzVWm