1 2 3 4 5
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/14 10:33 a.m.
bluebarchetta wrote: Minivans are great until you have to service something on the rear side of the transverse V6 that's hard up against the firewall and tucked under the cowl. Then I hate them and wish I were working on an SUV. Or is it just me?

True that - same with all vans except when they actually let you service it from the drivers compartment - but that's no laughfest either. It's bad enough that other than maintenance, I won't work on them.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/13/14 11:13 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I like them, but I dislike them. I don't want to pay extra $$ for all of those berkeleying features that kids/dogs/hauling cargo are just going to destroy. That said, can a "Ram" van be outfitted with seats just like the caravan, only with a vinyl floor and none of those ridiculous options? That would rock.

Problem is, a base Ram C/V costs more than the AVP Dodge Grand Caravan. I still can't figure out the logic behind that one...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
2/13/14 11:23 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: I like them, but I dislike them. I don't want to pay extra $$ for all of those berkeleying features that kids/dogs/hauling cargo are just going to destroy. That said, can a "Ram" van be outfitted with seats just like the caravan, only with a vinyl floor and none of those ridiculous options? That would rock.
Problem is, a base Ram C/V costs more than the AVP Dodge Grand Caravan. I still can't figure out the logic behind that one...

Towing package, I'm guessing. Doesn't come on the AVP Caravan.

That said, I looked at the AVP options list. Pretty sparse. And $20k. Thats a solid vehicle.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/13/14 11:41 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

I suspect its also the most powerful $20K MSRP new car in the US right now . Seems like you can also knock at least $1K off the MSRP for the sales price, maybe more.

Edit: Oh yeah, you still have to add the towing package to the Ram C/V, so pretty much, they don't include a rear interior, replace the side windows with glued in fiberglass, and add almost a thousand dollars to the price...

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/13/14 11:46 a.m.

Yeah, KBB shows fair purchase price of $19688, but I'll bet you could get one for $19k flat and walk for $20k. Don't know if the AVP has the stow n go though, which to me is one of the main attractions of that vehicle.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/13/14 11:49 a.m.

just checked- stow n go 2nd row buckets are $1350 option. Puts you at $22240 msrp for AVP. Still may be able to swing $20k walking.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/13/14 11:50 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Yeah, KBB shows fair purchase price of $19688, but I'll bet you could get one for $19k flat and walk for $20k. Don't know if the AVP has the stow n go though, which to me is one of the main attractions of that vehicle.

I think all levels of the Caravan have Stow n go now, you just have to pay more for power options...

EDIT: Wow, guess I'm wrong, so its just the 3rd row that is stow-n-go by default?

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
2/13/14 12:30 p.m.

In 2003 I bought a 2000 Grand Caravan Sport with 40k on the clock for $10000. Since that time I have put gas, tires, oil, and brakes on it. The only actual repair I have had to do was replace the rear brake lines.

The thing is a workhorse. It is like a bowling alley with the rear seats out. It's not bad to drive, even daily. It's WAYYYY easier to get in and out of, and way more comfortable in the third row, than any SUV. The only thing it lacks is towing capacity, and (unused) off-road capability.

It's the most cost-effective major purchase I have ever made.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
2/13/14 12:31 p.m.

I have no kids or plans to have any. But I've thought about getting an old one to take the seats out, haul supplies from hd or lowes and make scrap yard runs. I know they aren't as sexy or cool As a truck but they are much cheaper and better on gas. Can they all fit plywood in them?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
2/13/14 12:38 p.m.

I had a minivan when I was young and single. I learned how to do J-turns in it. I drifted it. I worked out of it. Went camping in it and loved every second of owning it until I hydroplaned it on a wet road under the rear tires of an oncoming semi. If anybody made a new rwd minivan I would seriously consider it as my next vehicle. As it stands I may try to find another Safari/Astro and do a full restoration on it. FWD sucks the fun out of everything.

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/13/14 12:41 p.m.

In reply to nepa03focus:

I do construction work quite regularly

I gave up a truck for a full size dodge van... Now I use old caravans.. Tools are all inside and locked up... ect... I think I would have a hard time with a truck now.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/13/14 12:56 p.m.

Does anyone know the durability of the Toyota and Nissan transmissions when abused? I think that a Quest with a maxima S/C kit would be very entertaining.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
2/13/14 12:58 p.m.
RoughandReady wrote: Station wagon > Minivan

I have both. While I've definitely done a lot with my wagon, the minivan can do more and often does it better.

I really love full-sized conversion vans more and would have bought one if towing had been a consideration, but I know from experience they don't go from 'cargo' to 'passenger' easily. My Caravan wins hands down there.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
2/13/14 1:09 p.m.

I certainly like and appreciate minivans. Ive had 2 in my lifetime and own one currently. Although I think I prefer a fullsize van.

Mind you I think of these as alternate vehicles not used every day. So mpg is not really a concern.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
2/13/14 1:44 p.m.

My parents had a minivan for about 12 years. It's a much better vehicle than the equivalent SUV. The bad part about minivans is that if you haul stuff with it, some of the smelly messes from junk will drive you crazy after you take to the dump compared to a truck.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
2/13/14 2:22 p.m.

Did someone say minivan?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/13/14 2:32 p.m.

My Momma said if you haven't got anything good to say, keep yer trap shut.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/13/14 2:51 p.m.

^^^ Funny aussiemg------ as one of our staffers just traded in his 2011 Hyundai Sonata for a Chrysler Minivan. The Korean was giving him all kinds of trouble. ( trans problems, strut bushing issues, non-starting) This was all before 60K miles.

I'd imagine he'd say the same thing about Hyundai!

Hal
Hal SuperDork
2/13/14 3:57 p.m.

I have had several full size cargo vans but when I decided I wanted one again I got a "mini" version. Seats for 5 and plenty of cargo space. I can ride my 30" zero-turn mower up the ramps right into the back with the seats folded up.

I like it so much I am thinking about trading it in on a new one. The new model is 10" longer and can be had with seating for 7. Also comes with a bigger engine and better transmission. Only drawback is that the new one don't have the high roof any more(roofline is where the crease above the windows on mine is).

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/13/14 4:14 p.m.

How about towing a 944 on a tow dolly, having a 600cc bike IN the van, and returning 21 mpg through the mountains of VA and PA??

Just flip the seats into the wells and lift the bike in. I was amazed!!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/13/14 4:37 p.m.

I don't need you guys getting me thinking I need a minivan. My wife has one and we couldn't live without it... I'm in it typing this, just dropped one of the kids at karate.

Maybe all my "what about THIS car" threads should've ended here?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/13/14 5:17 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Those aren't real mountains, but that is pretty astounding (west coaster by birth here).

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
2/13/14 5:23 p.m.

I love the ability to haul 10' lumber inside the Previa with no issues (12'fits with a bit of creativity)

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/13/14 5:39 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Back in the late 90's I had a Windstar that was a very subtle tannish-green-beige color. I swear in that vehicle, I could drive as fast as I wanted on the highway without fear of being pulled over. Most people driving around in SUVs would be better served by a Minivan. More space for people and stuff, better mileage. Other than towing or overcompensating for certain body parts, I don't know why people drive SUVs.

Because I couldn't have gotten the 500' up my elderly great-uncle's long driveway to get to his house to check on him today with 13-14" of unshoveled/unplowed snow....in a minivan.

I'll actually admit that the WRX wouldn't have made it....

That said, we bought the truck for towing, not really for snow. That's just an added benefit. And it actually can fit 4x8 plywood inside of it (yes, I've tested it)

This doesn't look like much, but it is over a foot. Big tires :)

Minivans are the right choice for 90% of the population that need a "larger" vehicle. But there are the 10% that do need towing, off-road ability, etc.....so to make a blanket statement that SUVs are "compensation" isn't really true. The only thing a minivan really has on the sequoia is much better gas mileage. Our big car only does 6-7k miles per year though, so I'm burning an extra $100-200 in fuel to have the xtra utility. Big deal. If we put 25k per year on it, I'd have gotten a minivan + a cheap tow rig.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
2/13/14 6:20 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Maybe all my "what about THIS car" threads should've ended here?

If my Caravan could manage 30-ish MPG, I would easily keep it as my daily driver. Unfortunately, even the base 3.3L V6 is kinda slow, so I can't imagine an even smaller engine, and it's still a 4000 lb brick going down the road. Since Nov, I've gotten between 20-22 mpg, with an occasional 23. Fortunately, there's a new gas station near work and their RUG price is artificially low (like 20-30 cents lower than anywhere else I pass).

I do agree about the snow capabilities. The Caravan does ok, but it's no 4WD truck. Sometimes there's just no substitute for ground clearance. In a way, I'm glad - since I sold the Cummins, I feel no obligation to drive into work in conditions like we have today. If I still had the Dodge (especially with it fitted with the big W965 Blizzaks I put on it), I would have.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Igo4WLicC36qUceEToLehRDSHlMIChyrTgSkBuB2Bu9QLVzX6xf5fR0X22x4Fdzw