1 ... 3 4 5 6
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/28/17 3:11 p.m.
markwemple wrote: Damn Honda!!!! Wonder how they will keep Alonso now?

$40M/year goes a long way.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/28/17 3:11 p.m.

Awesome to see Taku win. He's always been so much fun to watch, absolutely fearless.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/17 3:13 p.m.

My friend just texted me and said " Sato got the food engine from Japan ".

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/28/17 3:13 p.m.

Funny that we bitch about Honda, but they will still get credit for winning the 500.

dean1484
5/28/17 3:15 p.m.

Did I here it right in his interview him implying he would like to come back but he will make sure to have good equipment???

dean1484
5/28/17 3:16 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Funny that we bitch about Honda, but they will still get credit for winning the 500.

So how many of the 32 were Honda powered?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/28/17 3:25 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Funny that we bitch about Honda, but they will still get credit for winning the 500.
So how many of the 32 were Honda powered?

Enough.

Only 3 failed during the race. Just 3 of the fastest ones.

dean1484
5/28/17 3:32 p.m.

So about ten percent. What is the overall average for engine failure in the race on the past? Is it just a case that there were just so many hondas in the race that statistically it was almost a given that you would got Honda engine failing.

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
5/28/17 3:37 p.m.

18 Hondas - 3 engine failures during the race, multiple in practice 15 Chevrolets - 0 engine failures

dean1484
5/28/17 3:39 p.m.

Well that kills that theory

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/28/17 3:46 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Did I here it right in his interview him implying he would like to come back but he will make sure to have good equipment???

I'd have to listen again, but I took it as he would have something other than a team thrown together at the last minute.

It certainly could mean "In a Chevrolet", too.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
5/28/17 3:53 p.m.

I certainly got the impression that Alonso would be back next year, or maybe the year after. F1 drivers seem to enjoy the atmosphere of Indycar racing. Less pressure, less politics, less backstabbing. You don't need to be in the best car to still be competitive.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
5/28/17 4:35 p.m.

Entertaining race.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/28/17 6:13 p.m.

I stopped watching when Tony took over. Has Indy become relevant in the world of car racing again?

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
5/28/17 6:32 p.m.

Indy became irrelevant when they banned the Turbine cars, true innovation ended there.

The only truely innovative racing left is on the salt, and the salt is going away. Destroyed by mining operations.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/28/17 9:37 p.m.

Am I going to look like a front runner now since the only indy racing shirt I have is an abc supply takuma sato shirt they gave me?

dean1484
5/28/17 10:33 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: I stopped watching when Tony took over. Has Indy become relevant in the world of car racing again?

As far as racing goes I would say so. The format for the most part is old school. The drivers seem much more appreciative of the fans and what not. Dare I say humble?? You don't have the WWF type spectical that is NASCAR. You don't have the money that is in F1.

So ya by default Indy car has become relevant. Oh. And they run a lot of road courses.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/17 1:02 a.m.

I love it when people discuss a good old car race in terms of relevance. Actually ì don't love it at all. It's just a contest to see who wins. That is it.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/29/17 1:24 a.m.

Dixon crash was too frickin' scary, coulda smashed his noggin' right on the top of that wall. Lucky, just damn lucky there. Last ten laps were great, thought Helio had it in the bag. Good for Sato.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/17 7:21 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Dixon crash was too frickin' scary, coulda smashed his noggin' right on the top of that wall. Lucky, just damn lucky there. Last ten laps were great, thought Helio had it in the bag. Good for Sato.

Given the wall's construction, I think it was more likely (and scary) that he hit one of the fence posts. Which is how Wheldon died in Vegas.

Given how brutal this race has been over history, it's good to see the hard work pay off for safety. That kind of accident is impossible to prevent for open wheel cars- even with all of those protectors. For Dixon to walk away like that is both amazing and gratifying.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/29/17 7:40 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Dixon crash was too frickin' scary, coulda smashed his noggin' right on the top of that wall. Lucky, just damn lucky there. Last ten laps were great, thought Helio had it in the bag. Good for Sato.
Given the wall's construction, I think it was more likely (and scary) that he hit one of the fence posts. Which is how Wheldon died in Vegas. Given how brutal this race has been over history, it's good to see the hard work pay off for safety. That kind of accident is impossible to prevent for open wheel cars- even with all of those protectors. For Dixon to walk away like that is both amazing and gratifying.

I actually quit watching the 500 for a while back when they were smashing peoples feet constantly. I don't remember the year, but it was probably late 80's early 90's, and four or five guys did the very same 270 spin into the wall on the exit, and every one of them became good friends with Dr Trammel. It just seemed like such a waste of talent.

I, too, was very glad to see Dixon limp away from that. I had to add style points for Helio driving under him...

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
5/29/17 9:00 a.m.

Well done Taku!

"Me and Helio were side by side with three laps to go. At that point you say to yourself, there is no other solution here but to go flat out."

No attack no chance, indeed!

I think this makes up for not having Super Aguri's 2009 F1 car.

dean1484
5/29/17 10:33 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: I love it when people discuss a good old car race in terms of relevance. Actually ì don't love it at all. It's just a contest to see who wins. That is it.

The real problem is that people that don't like a form of racing feel compelled to come in a thread about it and E36 M3 it up. It is as if they can not stand to see others having a good time. NASCAR threads are the magnet for this. I guess Indycar is the new target. It is sad really. You would think we here could evolve and get beyond this but obviously this is not the case.

Makes me want to pack up my toys and leave the GRM sand box sometimes.

Guess it is time to start the INDYCAR SUCKS thread so the haters can go and jack each other up about how irrelevant it is.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
5/29/17 11:08 a.m.

I once saw a vintage Indy car at the Museum in Talladega. The aluminum skin protecting the driver's feet was paper thin. The early drivers were truly on The Razor's Edge. I believe it would have been a different outcome had Dixon's car hit the catch fence nose first. Lot of Dynamics there for the engineer's to play with

einy
einy Reader
5/29/17 1:16 p.m.

with the scariness of Dixon's crash aside, that sure was a fun race to watch yesterday! I enjoyed watching all of it.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZUjRki9Z9oflZYsiRc9l0TpJVKKPp0XvlLlH3ESQBhUeh6hfoY1KsT4VpDnIaydP