1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/3/18 3:45 p.m.

After a little over a year of G35 ownership I figured I should put out a buyer’s guide to spread the word on these awesome and underrated cars that many enthusiasts disregard because of their current image. I originally wrote this on Oppositelock but I figured I'd cross-post it here since it might be a nice resource to have on the forums.

Why you should want one

The G35 is best explained as 90% of a BMW with 10% of the maintenance costs. It offers most of the dynamic prowess of an E46 but is roughly the size of an E39. They’re practical, cheap, reliable and reasonably quick. Pretty much everything under the skin is shared with the 350Z so the aftermarket is huge and Infiniti made tons of them so they’re easy to find in pretty much every region of Canada and the US. They’re great daily drivers that are also reasonably good at autocross, drifting and open lapping, plus they have some nice amenities. Automatic climate control, heated seats, Bose stereo, reclining rear seats on most sedan models.

Year-to-year changes

2003: Available as a 6MT RWD coupe, an automatic RWD coupe and an automatic RWD sedan. Sedans make 20 fewer HP and 10 fewer lb-ft than coupe models. 2003 sedans cannot be tuned using UpRev.

2003.5: The 6MT RWD sedan joins the fray and the ugly trunklid handle on the sedan disappears. Xenon headlights become standard equipment. 6MT sedans can be tuned using UpRev although automatic sedans continue to be non-compatible.

2004: The automatic AWD sedan joins the fray. The 6-speed RWD sedan gains a viscous limited-slip differential in place of the open diff. The biggest news is that all 2004 models can be tuned using UpRev software.

2004.5: Revised manumatic mode for automatic cars, new shift knob on automatic cars.

2005: Sedans get a new front clip, new headlights, new side skirts, new taillights and a new rear bumper. 6MT cars get the revised CD009 transmission and the RevUp engine that bumps output to 298 HP, although torque drops slightly to 260. Automatic sedans now match the output of the automatic coupe models. Sport package and 6MT sedans get new 18" wheels and sport package and 6MT coupes get new forged 19" wheels. The viscous limited-slip differential is now standard on automatic sport package cars. Sedans get bigger brakes while Brembo brakes are no longer available on coupe models. Automatic models gain downshift rev matching. All models get a new dashboard, console and gauges as well as other minor interior trim changes. The tape deck goes away but knobs for volume and temperature are added. Bluetooth becomes optional and leather becomes standard. The navigation system gets revised and sport package and 6MT cars get alloy pedals and orange stitching on the steering wheel. Intelligent key becomes available on automatic models and sedans get an exterior trunk release button.

2006: Coupes get new headlights with projector elements, new taillights and a new spoiler. Sport package and 6MT coupes get a new front bumper and new side skirts. 6MT coupes also now have available active rear-wheel steering. All coupes get an exterior trunk release button and minor interior trim changes.

2007: Pretty much a carryover year for the coupe. The sedan moves on to the V36 generation.

What goes wrong

Pretty much all G35s suffer from oil consumption, although some are more affected than others. Early 2005 6MT cars had soft piston rings which can lead to excessive oil consumption as the miles pile on. Owners of 2003-2004 6MT often complain of crunchy or even failed synchros. The stock head units on 2003-2004 cars aren’t especially reliable and a bezel with a separate climate control panel is needed in order to retrofit an aftermarket head unit. The wiring harness leading from the body to the trunklid is frail and can be easily pinched and frayed or even cut just from opening and closing the trunklid. The bushings in the front suspension compression arms are substandard from factory and often wear out prematurely. Polyurethane is most likely your best bet as spherical bushings can be very harsh. Some owners have experienced rear axle click that’s usually remedied with additional lubrication of the CV joint collars.

What mods should you do

With the G35 being virtually identical to a 350Z underneath the aftermarket is simple huge.

A catch can is probably the best reliability mod that can be done to a G35 as most of the oil consumption is due to PCV blow-by. Other great reliability mods include polyurethane bushings in the front suspension compression arms and an oil cooler if any significant track time will be seen.

Many owners report gains of 10 horsepower or more from a cold air intake. Stillen makes a fantastic one, as do Z1 and Admin Tuning.

Non-RevUp G35s gain about 15 horsepower from a simple 5/16" plenum spacer. RevUp G35s benefit strongly from the MRev2 lower plenum and the 5/16" plenum spacer together, although the 5/16" plenum spacer by itself won’t really do anything for a RevUp engine.

The factory exhaust is very restrictive. It’s been dyno-proven that ISR has the best aftermarket y-pipe and fortunately it’s quite cheap. As for a midpipe and tail section that’s mostly up to personal preference. Test pipes are also good for an extra 6-8 horsepower although they’re not exactly legal.

A lot of owners have been really happy with BC Racing DS coilovers. They don’t cost an arm and a leg and the digressive damping makes them a lot more comfortable for street driving while still being good on the track.

Solid diff bushings really help with combating wheel hop and aren’t as uncomfortable as one might imagine. Best of all, they’re cheap.

The G35 doesn’t have a full-off mode for the VDC system but a simple SPST switch wired into the orange wire on the harness for the yaw sensor (mounted under the centre console) allows for full deactivation of the VDC system.

RWD automatic cars strongly benefit from a 3.54 diff out of a 6MT car. Apparently it shaves almost half a second off the quarter mile time.

A set of 4.08 rear gears in a 6MT G35 adds tons of pull in every gear. Not only will the car feel way faster but the gears will shave a significant chunk off the quarter mile time. Best of all it doesn’t require an ECU tune to maintain speedometer accuracy.

G35s are great cars to do pretty much anything with. They do get some flak for being a car for the type of person who hacks off the muffler and resonator, throws cheap replica wheels on it and hangs around Planet Fitness, but they’re so much more than just another chadmobile. Hopefully this buyer’s guide sheds some light on one of the hottest used performance bargains right now.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/3/18 4:37 p.m.

chadmobile!, I am stealing that its too great but great review, always enjoyed these cars. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/18 4:37 p.m.

I've been thinking about one of these for a couple of years (I move really slow on my purchases). Looking forward to additional comments from the hive.

Edit: chadmobile! That's new to me.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
12/3/18 4:54 p.m.

My daughter bought a 2004 awd sedan with about 100k on it for around $5000.It is a really nice car. I was scared when she brought it home,it had some dash lights on,figured it would be an expensive fix. It was low tire pressure and low brake fluid. We have only had to change oil and do the brakes. Everyone who has driven it likes it,handles good,rides nice and has decent power.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/18 5:31 p.m.

Where does one source the 4.08 rear gears referenced therin?

I'm thinking one of these might be a good endurance race car in the E1 class. Or E0 as the case may be...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/18 5:51 p.m.

Thanks for the information.

I've been very happy with my G35 so far. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/3/18 5:54 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

Great insight.  Do you know if he 3.7 motors have the oil consumption issues as well? The Q70L is flying  under the radar, and I have been thinking of getting a 2015/2016, as I am tired after 15 yaers of LS ownership.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
12/3/18 6:57 p.m.

Oh man, I did not need to read this right now. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/3/18 7:19 p.m.
rdcyclist said:

Where does one source the 4.08 rear gears referenced therin?

I'm thinking one of these might be a good endurance race car in the E1 class. Or E0 as the case may be...

Z1 always has them in stock

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/3/18 7:21 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

In reply to G_Body_Man :

Great insight.  Do you know if he 3.7 motors have the oil consumption issues as well? The Q70L is flying  under the radar, and I have been thinking of getting a 2015/2016, as I am tired after 15 yaers of LS ownership.

Luckily VQ37VHRs do not have oil consumption issues. The Q70L that you're looking into was also available with the 5.6 litre VK56VD V8 engine which turns that big car into an absolute sleeper.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
12/3/18 8:00 p.m.

Isn't it the high rev 3.5's with the oil consumption issues? Gas consumption isn't great either. That is the only complaint I have with the car.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/3/18 8:05 p.m.
BlindPirate said:

Isn't it the high rev 3.5's with the oil consumption issues? Gas consumption isn't great either. That is the only complaint I have with the car.

All of them have oil consumption issues although the RevUp engines drink the most oil due to soft piston rings on earlier RevUp engines.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
12/3/18 8:18 p.m.

Had a 2005 G35X in Lakeshore Slate - put a set of 18 inch 'sport' wheels, a HKS rear muffler, front spoiler and el-cheapo rear spoiler.  It was quick, fun and very reliable and probably the best sounding car I've ever owned.

photo DSCN0267_zpsff12043d.jpg

The only problems I ever had were front wheel bearings - went through a few sets during the time I had it, seemed to be a week point, at least on the AWD cars.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/3/18 8:42 p.m.

My son in-law just picked up a G37S 6MT convertible.  He wants floor mats for Christmas, weather tech?

I delivered these to him last weekend, forged, offset fitment with blizzaks.

I’m currently driving an 09 Pathfinder with the VK56DE, that motor would be a hoot on a sedan.

Maybe my wife would like a G car.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/3/18 8:48 p.m.
G_Body_Man said:

Luckily VQ37VHRs do not have oil consumption issues. The Q70L that you're looking into was also available with the 5.6 litre VK56VD V8 engine which turns that big car into an absolute sleeper.

Funny you mention that. Initially I was looking for a 5.6L q70L. After reading a bunch of reviews it seemed that the 5.6L and the 3.7 are .1 difference in 0-60. 

Given the 5.6L commads $10K more than a 3.7 in a u sed market, the 3.7 seemed like the better buy. I love that they give you engine option choices on the long wheel base

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/3/18 8:50 p.m.
akylekoz said:

My son in-law just picked up a G37S 6MT convertible.  He wants floor mats for Christmas, weather tech?

Really tried talking the wife into this one. But two car seats didn't fit in the back :( Wife got her first choice, IS350C. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/3/18 9:30 p.m.

Had a 2005 G35X in Lakeshore Slate - put a set of 18 inch 'sport' wheels, a HKS rear muffler, front spoiler and el-cheapo rear spoiler.  It was quick, fun and very reliable and probably the best sounding car I've ever owned.

That's almost exactly my ideal one. Looks great. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/3/18 10:20 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I'm a huge fan of these custom-fit weather-resistant quilted floor mats from eBay. A few of my friends have them in various applications and they fit great and look like a million bucks.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/18 8:30 a.m.

I can attest to everything said here! They are fantastic cars, now entering the bottom of their depreciation curve. Even the base non-RevUp engines feel much more powerful than their 260hp rating would suggest. There is torque EVERYWHERE. The powertrains seem pretty darn durable, both engine and trans. No timing belt, and the timing chain system seems to hold up well at high mileage. I bought a running driving (but slightly smashed) 151k mile 5AT sedan for $1,100, that overheated a few times driving around with no coolant, and it still runs great even after swapping the drivetrain into another car.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/g35-rescue-adventures-in-daily-driving-a-donor-car/137221/page1/

The 6MT diff swap (LSD 3.54 gears) is pretty easy. I did it recently with no trouble. I found a guy parting out a wrecked 350Z and got the diff for $125, but they normally will set you back about $300-$400. Still a great value.

Watch out for the coolant bleed valve. If you ever need to service the coolant, buy this part ahead of time because it will probably break.

Bleeding coolant is difficult. One of those spill-free radiator funnel kits make it a piece of cake. 

Electrical system can sometimes be a problem. The relay box, known as the IPDM, has its own computer on CAN and resides under the hood. They are sensitive to moisture and can cause all sorts of problems if they get wet. 

Supposedly the engine is good for a 100 wet shot untuned before you need to pull timing.

I could make a whole guide just on swapping this motor, but the biggest hurdle to me is the electronics. Without going standalone, you have two choices: get your ECM flashed for a few hundred dollars to defeat the anti-theft, or swap in every single module connected to the CAN network from the same donor car.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
12/4/18 9:59 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Supposedly the engine is good for a 100 wet shot untuned before you need to pull timing.

surprisesurprisesurprise

SavageHenry
SavageHenry New Reader
12/4/18 10:14 a.m.

I've been dailying my 08 G35X sedan since July and it has exceeded my expectations. It's quiet, comfortable, handles well and has more than enough power for my needs. Lots of good amenities, including heated seats, good stereo and the best heat/AC of any car I've owned. Only downsides so far are mileage/need for premium gas and TPMS light is on permanently. Haven't had to do anything to it so far other than put on winter tires. 

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
12/4/18 11:35 a.m.

The M45 is even more of a hidden gem, if you don't need a stick. I have the 4.5 V8 (2006) with the sport and tech package. My two previous cars were a 2003 G35 Coupe (amazing, aside from oil consumption issues and the lock failure; common issue) and an e46 325Ci. The BMW felt like it was put together with zap straps and paper clips compared to this land yacht.

You get a V8 without the oil consumption issues, more torque everywhere, a higher redline and that sweet 5AT. The later 7AT is found to be more clunky and confused. Its also more roomy and upscale than the G, this was meant to be a direct competitor to the  E550 and 550i; they knocked it out of the park. I sampled a couple of the competitors and they were too much of a bore for driving dynamics.

The sport package gets you 19s, sport suspension, adaptive headlights and dynamic rear steering. It makes the car turn in feel very lively, to the point I had the tail come out on me the first time I wasn't ready for her. The tech package is insane for this vintage of vehicle. You get a (pretty good) for OEM 14 speaker Bose soundsystem, speakers even in the seats. Navigation, reverse camera, lane departure, adaptive/radar cruise control, rooftop fold down DVD screen, bluetooth calling, heated and air conditioned seats...etc, etc. Many of the parts are shared with the G35/Z33 nissan family = very affordable maintenance for the most part.

Great bargain!

RedGT
RedGT Dork
12/4/18 11:37 a.m.

I've been eyeing these for a while, a 6spd sedan in particular.  Don't go driving the prices up!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
12/4/18 12:02 p.m.

Useful to know - I've been pondering what I might get for my next DD, and the G35 sedan has been on my radar.

PDoane
PDoane New Reader
12/5/18 9:12 a.m.

My wife's 2007 G35X sedan went through rear brakes like crazy.  Pads wore out ridiculously fast.  My wife often ignored the metal-to-metal sound when the pads wore away completely.  Had a couple of rear calipers get stuck on their slide pins also.  Has G_Body_Man ever heard anything about that?  I thought I read on-line somewhere that the traction/stability control pulsed the rears too much.  When I asked the dealer about it he made some stupid statement that made it very clear he didn't know anything about brake design.  I was always amazed that the tiny rear pads only swept about 2/3 of the available rotor surface. 

Otherwise that car was great.  It was an automatic, but one of the best I've ever driven.  Only other issue in 10 years of ownership was a water hose leak that never left any puddle.  When we traded it in last summer (July 2017) she went with the QX50 because the interior/controls were so much like her Gs.  That car is also wearing the rear brakes quickly too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mLXDqk3euZzOcx75j0u7X07f2Wcbi3rgQwDyar5JP2NS3k8CkzLPfNVwJKAeMRx8