golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/19/19 4:13 p.m.

Gonna keep this short and sweet because I'm on my phone and have a newborn in my lap- 

- car in question is a 2011 Subaru Outback sport (Impreza hatch predecessor), automatic, 152k miles

- it has pretty extensive rear end damage thanks in large part to a delivery truck at work who didn't see it, but mechanically is sound and runs really well.  Service has been up to date all the way through.  

- Body shop estimate came back at 4500$, but realistically just needs about $1500 in parts to be inspectable and drivable, albeit ugly. 

- it is mine outright (no insurance involved)

I am looking for whatever avenue you guys feel would put the most money in my pocket.  The car is only worth about 2k$ in decent condition, so I'd estimate it's prob only worth about 1000-1500 even if I 'fix' it.  

what would you guys do?  Realistically I just want to be done with it, but don't want to give it away.  I'm open to selling broken, fixing it and selling as a runner, and parting it out... only option is not laying out 4 grand, haha. 

if anyone also wants it here, I'd give a hell of a GRM discount!  

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/19/19 5:47 p.m.

Pickup truck conversion.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/19/19 5:50 p.m.
golfduke said:

Realistically I just want to be done with it

You already answered your own question. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/19/19 5:54 p.m.

Take the insurance payout and be done with it.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/19 6:11 p.m.

Drive it to Columbus and sell it to Evan as a drivetrain parts donor for The Pickle, and catch a ride from one of us to Cleveland to drive your new BMW home?

(difficulty:  Evan probably doesn't want another wrecked wagon on his property)

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/19/19 6:13 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Well that's the thing.  It's sort of a unique situation in that the claim was privately settled.  I already have been paid out, but the car is still in my possession.  So I guess I could just junk it, but it seems like such a waste to scrap a perfectly good runner, albeit messed up in the back...  maybe I'm just being stingy and should just shut up and get rid of it.  Or rallycross it... 

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/19/19 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I mean, If anyone in here wants it, I'm open to bartering, monetarily and not... but flight is already booked and I don't really want to think about driving 1000mi in a car with no back glass and a bungee cord hatch latch.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
11/19/19 8:04 p.m.

well if you just want to get rid of it, then the best course of action would be just get rid of it.   Put it on CL for $400, someone will buy it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/19/19 9:08 p.m.
golfduke said:
stuart in mn said:

Well that's the thing.  It's sort of a unique situation in that the claim was privately settled.  I already have been paid out, but the car is still in my possession.  

That sounds like essentially the same thing as an insurance payout.  I assume you got a fair payment.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/19/19 11:01 p.m.

It's a 2011?

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/20/19 8:30 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

It's a 2011?

Yes, 2011 with the Black/Grey two-tone.  Basically like every other outback sport ever made, haha.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 8:33 a.m.

pix of damage?  i'd like to get AK1 into something other than a 200k E60 for cheap...

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/20/19 9:14 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

pix of damage?  i'd like to get AK1 into something other than a 200k E60 for cheap...

I can't really seem to post pics through the forum (might be user error though), can I email you some?  Full disclosure, I just have crappy nighttime right after the accident pics...

But to get it up and running in good condition, you'll at the very least need a new hatch, glass, rear bumper, inner passenger taillight, and latch assembly.  I'm 90% sure the bumper support is fine, but the body shop included it in the estimate just in case. 

If you care about aesthetics, time and effort to some bodywork on the extreme back of the pass rear quarter under the taillight where it meets the hatch. 

Again, not looking to make a mint on it, just want something to justify I tried to the wife, haha.  

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/20/19 9:23 a.m.

I should also note that while the forum title says 'totalled', the car (and its title) is not officially either.  It'd come with a totally clean NH title.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 9:32 a.m.

Man I wish you didn’t have a flight booked because I would pay you to tape up the back window and drive it here(i’m Very close to knurled and the bmw) because I don’t need it therefore I want it.  

TGMF
TGMF Reader
11/20/19 9:41 a.m.

I'd list it on CList or FB marketplace at a higher value than you'd expect, given its essentially winter, and its a running mechanically solid subaru. 

That said, I too want it, and invision it being a rally cross car. Sawzall and a welder could make it pretty usable in that respect on the cheap.........but it's not a short drive home from NH to Michigan.....with a plastic sheet for a window. 

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
11/20/19 10:13 a.m.
Patrick said:

Man I wish you didn’t have a flight booked because I would pay you to tape up the back window and drive it here(i’m Very close to knurled and the bmw) because I don’t need it therefore I want it.  

Haha.  I'm being totally honest, the marital cost of me driving one way from Ohio this weekend is almosst more than I am willing to pay with a 2 month old in the house... An out-and-back would put me into wife-al bankruptcy, haha.  

You can hitch a ride with me back to NH in the BMW and come get it though!  haha

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 10:18 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Drive it to Columbus and sell it to Evan as a drivetrain parts donor for The Pickle, and catch a ride from one of us to Cleveland to drive your new BMW home?

I was trying to avoid saying that. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf New Reader
11/20/19 11:30 a.m.

I seems like you have a deal in the works. But in case not my first thought was post it on the aircooled VW site (search Subaru). Lots of Sub into VW talk there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 12:46 p.m.
golfduke said:
Patrick said:

Haha.  I'm being totally honest, the marital cost of me driving one way from Ohio this weekend is almosst more than I am willing to pay with a 2 month old in the house... An out-and-back would put me into wife-al bankruptcy, haha.  

You can hitch a ride with me back to NH in the BMW and come get it though!  haha

that's probably the winning recipe right there.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/20/19 6:34 p.m.
EvanB said:
Knurled. said:

I was trying to avoid saying that. 

I'm the angel on people's shoulders giving them ideas and counseling.

Well, not the "good" angel, anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JMHuI2AOmBr3rKefanWml3GMX0deSZoEtRreCYwV7iZoY5SHSjgKNJarI0svHCw8