Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/19/18 9:15 a.m.

My brother clued me into Erepairables.com. mostly looking at FR-S /BRZs for parts and Corvette hulks for death karts candidates. 

Then I get it into my head that I'd like a lifted rally Mustang for a winter beater. 

I found 2016 GT with the bidding at $1,100. What am I missing? Seems too good to be true. My luck, the drivetrain is gone. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/18 9:24 a.m.

that will be near 10k by the end of the auction

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/19/18 9:25 a.m.

Pictures show the drivetrain is still in it. I would expect the bidding to go much higher towards the end, though. Since it is a salvage car, I would expect the costs to get it road legal again (rebuilt title) would be fairly high. Since you want to lift it, I would look for 2014 and earlier cars with solid rear axle, easier to lift than the IRS setup.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/19/18 11:03 a.m.

I was looking for a New Edge to replicate this:

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/19/18 4:14 p.m.

I probably should not have been made aware this site exists. Holy E36 M3 there’s a pile of V’s on there.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/19/18 6:30 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

I probably should not have been made aware this site exists. Holy E36 M3 there’s a pile of V’s on there.

auto auctions are a dangerous place for people like us.... 

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
8/19/18 7:51 p.m.

This seems like a good deal. Looks like the previous owner might have been a bit unpleasant to someone but the beauty of auto auctions is that you don't have to deal with them:

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/18 9:43 p.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

I actually text that to a friend

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
8/20/18 9:55 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to boxedfox :

I actually text that to a friend

The word or the car?

Add this to the list of sites I should avoid.... (but won't)

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/20/18 10:02 a.m.

It looks to me like most of those auctions are actually iaai or copart auctions with erepairables being a "middle man." So most of them will be actual live auctions that go for way, way more than you're seeing the current bids at. The current bids are just the "pre-bidding" which almost never actually wins the auction on desirable vehicles like these.

You'll note the Mustang has a "buy it now" of $15,000. That's probably about what they expect the auction to go for, with a little premium for convenience.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
8/20/18 10:08 a.m.

In reply to boxedfox :

for that much? I'd drive the bitch mobile

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/20/18 11:11 a.m.

At some point in the next year, I will find myself looking for a salvage Yahama R1...  Good to find another likely source.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/20/18 11:57 a.m.
fidelity101 said:

In reply to boxedfox :

for that much? I'd drive the bitch mobile

Just change it to bitch'n and it'd be even better

8valve
8valve Reader
8/20/18 11:58 a.m.

Bet for that Tesla wouldn't be hard to get the white paint off.  Bids will probably go sky high.

Its $199 a year to sign up as a bidder thru that site. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
8/20/18 12:14 p.m.

From their support page:

"eRepairables.com operates as a broker to provide non-licensed public buyers access to licensed dealer-only auctions. When you enter a bid on eRepairables.com, we will present it to the auction."

So $200 for the initial pay in and then for two cars I looked at locally on their site, another $249 for their 'dealership fee'

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yq8tomArooPMs96xgfvrXLI1k8WiJfedIhKZQRbZjMx1B7eqw50dk2M7HTYwOd4W