Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/6/18 6:28 a.m.

So, i think if i move the maf and use a different elbow, i can clear the stock hood.

Original application was a 2004 Buick rendezvous with a 3400.

This is what im working with:

The elbow needs to make a hard 90 right off the throttle body. It also needs to house the intake air temp sensor. Additionally, i have the valve cover breather plumbed between the maf and throttle body. Not sure thats correct placement though. 

The throttle body opening is oval, and the maf is bigger opening by visuals.

Im looking for a common junkyard part. The yards down here are primarily full of late 90s-2008 stuff, with very few honda/toyota priducts with parts still on them.

What ideas do we have for a more workable boot?

Do i plumb the valve cover breather before or after that maf? 

Other ideas?

Really trying not to cut the hood. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/18 6:36 a.m.

The breather should always be after the MAF to prevent oil fouling

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/6/18 6:41 a.m.

I used a cold air intake from a Pontiac grand am.

The maf and throttle body use the same size coupler.

The valve cover breather line go after the maf and before the throttle body.

I recently ordered a new coupler.  Lemme see if I can find what size it is (I believe 3 inch).  You could simply get a 3 inch silicone or rubber 90 deg for throttle body, then hook it to some 3 inch pipe with a hole for the sensor in it.

When I get to work, I'll post to links to the setup I bought.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/6/18 6:42 a.m.

How about a 90 deg. elbow from a turbo, on my car it goes from round to oval because it's a silicone /rubber, and use's a band clamp, add the other sensor with home made hole

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/6/18 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 : In case you do need to cut the hood, you should know a fiberglass hood is about as easy a project to do as there is.  For not a lot of money more you can even make the hood out of carbon fiber.  

It’s honestly a weekend project and you don’t have to get messy if you follow certain steps.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/6/18 6:52 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

That would be awesome!

And knowing that the maf and throttle body are the same diameter helps a ton. 

Malibu: thanks. Thats what i thought, but wanted to be absolutely certain.

Gtx: kind of what i was thinking, but boots at the junkyard are 2-3 bucks.  The silicone ones are more.

Frenchy: im really, really hoping to avoid a fiberglass project. The flares i made for the amc were not pretty. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/18 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Make a pro street scoop instead. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/18 12:34 p.m.

I almost always use Home Depot and PVC elbows and Fernco fittings.  Make it for $20.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/18 2:57 p.m.
Curtis said:

I almost always use Home Depot and PVC elbows and Fernco fittings.  Make it for $20.

This!!!!   I have done this several times and it works very well.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/6/18 3:21 p.m.

PVC and fernco fittings is the general plan. I'm hoping to find a factory boot to use instead of the fernco right off the throttle body but otherwise y'all have it

Curtis
11/6/18 4:04 p.m.

Impala SS and Caprice from the 90s used a pretty nice boot.  It isn't pretty because it has a hole in the top for a "home plate" shaped silencer, but that it easily capped with a peanut butter jar lid.  Seriously.

Here is the peanut butter lid mod.  If yours needs to spin the other way, your peanut butter lid would be on the bottom.  Incidentally, this owner used two 22.5-degree ABS street elbows to get his desired routing.  

My SS's first intake mod used the factory boot with the PB lid.  I moved the MAF to that boot, (instead of attached to the air box) then used a Fernco to attach a parts-store bling chrome exhaust tip with the tapered end cut off.  It was something like 3" x 12" long and was about $12 from a company called Jones Exhaust.  The other end got a big K&N cone.  Done.

Image result for chrome 3" exhaust tip

Here is the factory B-body LT1 setup.  The hole for the PB lid is what attaches to "home plate"

Curtis
11/6/18 4:15 p.m.

Summit, Jegs, and many parts stores have pre-formed silicone boots.  You could probably get whatever you need that way.  Most of the parts stores would have smaller diameters for the import scene, but find a proper combination of 90s, 45s, and straight boots so you can put PVC in between.

Image result for silicone intake elbow

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zy0nQp1r2iNOtzSiKNuPA43ajuKkSgs9tlDKZMHf9r9pHsCRyScMcTvObVylqD2C