G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
8/26/16 2:56 p.m.

For 2017, they're going with the LGX and the 8L45. The good news is that there haven't been any 8L45 failures reported, even in the extended 2016 MY on the Camaro. Could this potentially solve the transmission issues that people have encountered? Source.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/26/16 3:16 p.m.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/16 3:44 p.m.

I was hoping for the 4.3 V6 from the fullsize truck

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/26/16 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

3.6L V6 and 8spd auto. It's Direct injected, variable valve timing DOHC that makes 335hp and 285ftlbs of torque.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/26/16 3:52 p.m.

Yes, but at no point was any of that "interesting".

airwerks
airwerks Reader
8/26/16 4:37 p.m.

This just in! Chevy sells 2 half ton trucks! Wait, why?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/26/16 4:39 p.m.
airwerks wrote: This just in! Chevy sells 2 half ton trucks! Wait, why?

Because some people would rather have the biggest little truck instead of the littlest big truck?

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
8/26/16 9:40 p.m.
Tyler H wrote:
airwerks wrote: This just in! Chevy sells 2 half ton trucks! Wait, why?
Because some people would rather have the biggest little truck instead of the littlest big truck?

No E36 M3. The "small" pickup isn't so small anymore, and fullsize are getting frigging huge. I saw a new Colorado, several parking spots away from an old GMC pickup. They were damn near the same size.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
8/26/16 11:03 p.m.

I don't think the fullsize trucks are getting much bigger.. my coworker's 2015 Silverado crew cab 4x4 is about the same height and width as my 97 extended cab 4x4, but my truck is longer due to being a long box and appears to have a couple of inches more ground clearance. Parked side by side, the hoods and the tops of the bedsides are at the same height.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/16 11:30 p.m.

I was comparing the Colorado to the Tacoma. On paper, they look to be pretty comparable.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
8/27/16 12:00 a.m.

At this point, the Canyon/Colorado appear to be half tons that don't offer a V8.

Apparently somebody fixed it though.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/16 9:00 a.m.

I hate that mission 1 in truck design these days: make sure you can't reach over the bed side without getting a step ladder or climbing the tire.

Seriously, anyone that actually works a truck...you get used to this compromise. I had to load some stuff and shovel some mulch out of a buddy's old hardbody Nissan a while back -- holy crap, so much easier. I've owned at least 3-4 old Nissans before kvojg on to a fullsize. You forget how well minitrucks worked, until you step back and use one.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
8/28/16 11:13 a.m.

I can't get over how low the front bumpers are on these and the new canyons. It would get torn off pretty quick. Other than that they are nice looking trucks tho

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/28/16 11:51 a.m.

I thought they were based on the shortest chassis of the last gen full-size chebby trucks.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
8/28/16 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H: i haven't measured but out of 4 trucks sitting on the property here, but the tallest besides are probably the 2013 Silverado, not the 2000 Dodge with a 3 inch lift.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/16 12:43 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: I don't think the fullsize trucks are getting much bigger.. my coworker's 2015 Silverado crew cab 4x4 is about the same height and width as my 97 extended cab 4x4, but my truck is longer due to being a long box and appears to have a couple of inches more ground clearance. Parked side by side, the hoods and the tops of the bedsides are at the same height.

the local mall has a contract with the local chevy/GMC dealer to leave trucks and cars in the mall for people to look at. All the trucks that get put in the mall are HUGE.. I stand 5'11" and I can rest my chin on the top of the beds without having to bend over at all. They are also all 60K+ trucks.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
8/28/16 5:38 p.m.

I have a 2005 Colorado with the Z71 and have stopped at a light next to a new one and they are taller. Don't know how anyone works over the side of those tall bedsides. The bumpers have steps built into them on the corners but that doesn't help get anything from the front of the bed without climbing in. Glad to see they are using the v6 with 300+ horses but with the size of the truck a v8 would be awesome.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
8/28/16 6:20 p.m.

The locomotivish front end makes the fs look big.

And 60k wow. Are they made as good as the price implies?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/28/16 7:56 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: I hate that mission 1 in truck design these days: make sure you can't reach over the bed side without getting a step ladder or climbing the tire....

I can't imagine why they make this a design feature, I mean who wants this? The bed and bed side height on a new F150 is crazy high. They have to be a PIA to load things in. Putting heavy stuff in the bed of my 89 B2000 can be a pain, I cannot imagine it in a new F150.

I am guessing it has to something to do with allowing more room in the wheel wells for aftermarket wheels that are almost always fitted. Perhaps the reason they do not come stock with the wheels almost everyone puts on anyway is so they can claim better MPG (lighter weight) then they might otherwise? Or just a cheaper base price?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/16 9:32 p.m.
Iusedtobefast wrote: I have a 2005 Colorado with the Z71 and have stopped at a light next to a new one and they are taller.

And one of my customers bought a new one, apparently with the Diesel (didn't know those were available yet), and he immediately asked us to get him a quote on a 6" lift and big mud tires/wheels.

When we gave him the quote, a realistic quote, he kinda said, uhh, let me get back to you in six months.

So this winter I may be experiencing an oilburning Colorado upclose and personal...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/16 10:54 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Tyler H wrote: I hate that mission 1 in truck design these days: make sure you can't reach over the bed side without getting a step ladder or climbing the tire....
I can't imagine why they make this a design feature, I mean who wants this? The bed and bed side height on a new F150 is crazy high. They have to be a PIA to load things in. Putting heavy stuff in the bed of my 89 B2000 can be a pain, I cannot imagine it in a new F150. I am guessing it has to something to do with allowing more room in the wheel wells for aftermarket wheels that are almost always fitted. Perhaps the reason they do not come stock with the wheels almost everyone puts on anyway is so they can claim better MPG (lighter weight) then they might otherwise? Or just a cheaper base price?

if you get a "contractors special" or a fleet version, they are at a normal height for working. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, and Toyota all know that most trucks never haul more than hopes and dreams, and build them to match

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rJnGJucWhmAHVUaVxFUtmRhnXMmkOs2ofQlha0GzyBqQseW8RJ9uZ4MT89O6b3Ay