1 2
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/20/08 9:28 a.m.

I was at Jay Leno's shop last night looking over his recently completed Honda 600. What a cool little car to drive... 9000 rpm redline. Whole lot of noise and not much else, but what a pisser to drive.

Anyway, I asked him if he would mind if we did an interview with him. With him leaving the tonight show, turning down the American Top Gear project and his recent purchase of even more cool cars that our readers would like. (think two Lotus Elans and a Corvair coupe, not Bugattis and Duesenbergs), I thought it might be time to talk to him.

What would you guys like to ask Jay Leno?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/08 9:36 a.m.

1: Jay, with all of the resources available to you, what is your favorite "cheap thrill?"

2: Have you ever considered adopting a 38 year old father of three?

3: If you were to do a "budget toy" something under $5000.00 what would you build?

4: I am assuming you own your own tool box... what is the cheapest tool in it? What is the most expensive tool in it? Which gets used more. (box, hoists, the gartage mahal etc not included)

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/20/08 9:40 a.m.

Coincidentally, we just republished the story on Leno's Mazda Cosmo over on the Classic site: http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/revolution/

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
8/20/08 9:45 a.m.

"if you could only keep one toy car, which one would it be?"

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
8/20/08 9:47 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: What would you guys like to ask Jay Leno?

I've heard that he's never sold a car. Is that true?

He has an incredible collection of cars, what does he do to enjoy them? Any vintage racing / track days / autocrossing?

Would he like to store the S600 in the Classic Motorsports World HQ show area? It would fit well next to David's Mini...

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
8/20/08 9:50 a.m.

Which does he prefer doing: restomod or restoration?

Clay
Clay Reader
8/20/08 10:04 a.m.

What was your first car? What was your favorite car? What's the fastest you have driven? What car was it?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/20/08 10:30 a.m.

Do you have a general theme in mind when building your collection? It seems wildly varied.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
8/20/08 10:35 a.m.

"Your next trip will be a ride through the mountains and canyons... which ride do you hop in?"

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/20/08 10:38 a.m.

If someone "challenged" you to build a car for under $2008 dollars that could drag race and autoX, what would you build? Please show your work... in Florida... in 42 days... chicken?

Have you ever, or have you ever considered making a completely custom car? If so, what would it be?

If you build a modern car to sell to the public, what would it be?

What would you change about current automotive standards / legislation?

Do you find clowns as creepy as everyone else? (obviously an edit)

fastclown
fastclown New Reader
8/20/08 10:38 a.m.

Since he's into cars and comedy, isn't it about time he has The World's Fastest Clown on his show before it's gone. There are very few people in this country that truly care enough about kids to do something positive for them. Of those few, there are even fewer in the position to make something happen. So, I'll go out on a limb and think he might be one of those very few, we'll see. Pass along GodSaveTheClown.com

Thanks for the plug in the last issue!

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
8/20/08 10:40 a.m.
aircooled wrote: If someone "challenged" you to build a car for under $2008 dollars that could drag race and autoX, what would you build? Please show your work... in Florida... in 42 days... chicken?

Get outta my head!!!!!!

nocarbud
nocarbud New Reader
8/20/08 10:43 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: What would you guys like to ask Jay Leno?

Can I drive?

AudiMike
AudiMike Reader
8/20/08 10:53 a.m.

Man there is so much you could ask a guy like Jay that it is hard to narrow down.

1. Would he sponsor an up and coming race driver (no not me)?

2. What is his favourite type of motorsport?

3. Would he ever open his museum oops. sorry garage to the public to see the great collection of cars he has?

Thats all that I can think of for now.

Mike K

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/08 11:02 a.m.

Nice idea.

"Jay, would you consider a Harrahs type working automotive museum for your collection?"

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
8/20/08 11:12 a.m.

Love the kitchen what is a favorite of the crue that you make and the recipe ?

What kind of beer do you drink or get for the crue ?

Is there a recycling program at your shop ?
kellym
kellym New Reader
8/20/08 11:34 a.m.

Would you be willing to start lobbying in D.C. for the adoption of european crash/lighting standards to allow importation of smaller european/asian vehicles

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
8/20/08 11:57 a.m.

Does he have any E30 BMW parts?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/20/08 12:23 p.m.

What was the worst car you've owned?

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
8/20/08 12:39 p.m.

Is there any particular automobile that you are dying to add to your collection but that you haven't been able to secure yet?

You've got a pretty eclectic mix of cars; do any of the lesser-known classics have innovations that you feel should have remained in use on modern cars?

When people ask you what car their sister-in-law who doesn't care about cars should buy, what's your response?

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/20/08 1:05 p.m.
aircooled wrote: If someone "challenged" you to build a car for under $2008 dollars that could drag race and autoX, what would you build? Please show your work...

I would ask the same question without throwing down a gauntlet. Seriously, what would he build.

My other question I have trouble getting into words...
There are too many people killed street racing. Every June/July there are recent graduates killed in cars usually due to speed/alcohol/lack of experience. With peer pressures and cultural influences, is there something that can be done to make new drivers aware of the repricussions of firing a 3000 lb. missle down the road. Should every 16 year old be required to attend Auto-X before licensing?

Hopefully you get the point....

Dan

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
8/20/08 1:33 p.m.

Does he have any plans for his collection after he is gone? Will they be donated, auctioned off, put in a museum?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/20/08 2:07 p.m.

How many motorcycles do you own?

What's your favorite motorcycle?

Ever do any off road riding?

Have you thought of entering the 24 Hours of Lemons?

How would you like to sponsor a rotary Spitfire? Or perhaps another couple of projects rattling around in my head?

corsepervita
corsepervita New Reader
8/20/08 2:15 p.m.
  • If you had to choose between the Lamborghini Espada and the Lamborghini Urraco which would you choose, and why?

• What was your first Ducati? Will you go on a group ride with me and my friends sometime? :P

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
8/20/08 5:06 p.m.

"Mr Leno, would you go help Jess in Grand Rapids with his garage?"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZP18XfNOUfz529vjHtlFZrvz4QIdKBsWsgYpiDJv5vMumQDOfrckFmsReeTHfojM