1 2
fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/09 1:33 p.m.

Yup, I've got my contacts, email and calendar managed through my GMail account, which automatically syncs (both directions) with my iPhone over the internet. I also have it set to sync with my outlook client at home.

the main points of the iPhone over the other smart phones on the market is really how much simpler it is to use the damned thing. I've used Windows Mobile smartphones and even as a Enterprise-level Windows Server Admin, I found them highly flawed, when combined with the limitations placed on them by some of the carriers it was an infuriating mess.

However, I don't have any experience with BlackBerry's, other than playing with the Storm for a few minutes and realizing that the moving screen was a huge failure point and ultimately a gimmick, especially when paired up with Verizon. The commercials annoy me to no-end as well. The emphasis on the "click" noise is just assinine and speaks to how little respect they have for their customers.

Don't get me wrong, I detest using iTunes to manage the phone. Some of the areas that are locked down are annoying, luckily jailbreaking the phone doesn't effect the warranty and you can go back relatively easily by restoring it. A jailbroken iPhone takes the already good iPhone to a level on par with a Miata in terms of "the answer"

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/20/09 6:48 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Personally, I don't care if it's called the iFlounder. It's value as a cell phone was pretty secondary to me, although it IS the first cell phone I've ever used that I didn't want to smash into tiny pieces. I completely disagree with notion that the blackberry is somehow better at "productivity", particularly given how well the iPhone email, contacts, calendar, etc. I have a hard time imagining how it could be improved on that front. Further, the productivity of it is entirely up to you and what you want to do with it. The apps are there.

All good points. It's really in what you prefer. I, if it isn't obvious by now, am a crackberry user. I resisted the iPod until I saw how user friendly they can be once paired with Winamp and an iPod plugin. iTunes is the devil.

Tom Heath wrote:
Xceler8x wrote: ..and yeah...cut and paste. Dude. Come on. It's essential.
Touché. It's coming.

Oh great. Then I won't have any obvious superiority point with you iApple iConverts.

fiat22turbo wrote: A jailbroken iPhone takes the already good iPhone to a level on par with a Miata in terms of "the answer"

That is an interesting concept.

Personally I don't like the idea of being locked into doing things "The Apple Way". I'd much prefer for the iPhone to be even more open for me to reconfigure and manipulate. My iPod was the same way. I had to stop using iTunes because it wanted to take over my computer, organize my files the way it prefered, etc, etc. That's my biggest gripe against Apple. My other gripe is cost. But that's more of a problem with the company philosophy. Can't argue. They're making fat bucks.

..I'm probably just an iBigot.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/20/09 7:40 p.m.

Two words

Samsung Omnia.

I have not looked back. Basically an extension of my pc that I can actually get work done on. I now don't need to carry my laptop with me when traveling. It is not really a phone but a really small windows based computer that works. I can not wait for some one to come up with a MS software that runs on windows mobile.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ciRClcwXX76PIrTy1tbWRPoV8bI3RsbQQ8BIreEhzknZotN62zCu45Sq67tVwVzU