1 2
TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
8/17/19 4:54 p.m.

Long story short, Im leaving Germany for the land of the free. We'll see how much I miss the autobahn and schnitzels (Im kidding about the schnitzel, they're generally pretty boring to eat nor are they very tasty).

When I return I'd like to get a decent vehicle for me to daily, something I'd like to consider is a truck or another vehicle to tow/daily and that could do longer trips (think VA beach to Toronto/New York or Orlando distances). I've proved to myself that I can in fact, buy something and NOT modify it, so it'll pretty much be a get in and go kinda vehicle. I am ok with slinging a couple wrenches if anything is deemed a 'must have' mod and/or part, also ok with vehicles that may need some work. Preferably mechanical, not interior/exterior... Budget is somewhere around $6k and under $10k if it's loanable. I'm cheap ok? If I need a reality check, please let me know.

This is my favorite place to go for advice, I've yet to be led astray from GRM so I'll continue to come back.

With a lot of my 'constraints' put in place, I've fell in love with the idea of a diesel truck. Maybe I'm crazy, mis-informed or ignorant but the idea of a diesel truck seems to fit a lot of what I would like out of this vehicle. It would be dailyable (I think?), able to tow any rusty POS I or more importantly, my wife would like to buy. If I decide to get into drag racing or want to hit up a farther away road course and then blow the car up I can get home without too much worry. Also, the wife has gotten the travel bug in her; if she wanted to visit Disney Land/DC/New York or Canukystan (Canada), trucks are generally more comfortable in my honest opinion.

So the final question is, do I pay the diesel tax or would a Ford 4.6/Chebby 5.3 do what I want out of a truck just fine? Do you have a vehicle that'll do what I need, if so pls contact me. If anyone can find a 77/78 firebird in any sort of reasonable condition of 8k, this plan is out the window and I will buy it.

Jokes aside, thanks in advance GRM, for any useful information y'all may provide.

Side note: Ben Modified visited Germany within an hour or two of me and never said hi, how rude! lol

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/17/19 5:01 p.m.

I do what youre talking about (tow dolly, not trailer) with a slammed, 1/2 ton 95 Silverado. 

Id reccomend 2500/3500 and bigger enggine if youre going to do a bunch of towing. Mine will do fine, but not nearly as fine as dads 3500 cummins 2wd ram.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
8/17/19 5:11 p.m.

It'll be mostly a daily vehicle from what I'm projecting and probably regular trips to the tracks nearby. (Once maybe twice per month?)

If I get the Focus re-turbo'd and comfortable inside, that'll probably take over daily duty. Unless the wife takes a liking to it

'95 duramax for the win is your vote?

untchabl
untchabl Reader
8/17/19 5:14 p.m.

Going to be tough to find a decent diesel truck for under $10k unless you're ok with it being an older 2wd, regular or extended cab with a fair amount of miles on it.

Doubt you'll find any diesel truck for $10k or less that is new enough for a bank to do a vehicle loan on, would probably have to do a personal loan instead. Most diesel trucks in the $10k or less price range are going to be 12-20 years old.

Personally, unless you're towing heavy and/or often, I would go with a gas truck or full size SUV. The amount of weight you need to pull will determine if you need a half ton or 3/4-ton truck.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
8/17/19 5:15 p.m.
TurboFocus said:

It'll be mostly a daily vehicle from what I'm projecting and probably regular trips to the tracks nearby. (Once maybe twice per month?)

If I get the Focus re-turbo'd and comfortable inside, that'll probably take over daily duty. Unless the wife takes a liking to it

'95 duramax for the win is your vote?

No Duramax in 95, think they started in 2000. 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
8/17/19 5:18 p.m.

New to towing in general... so what is heavy? odds are a bare bones enclosed trailer later on down the road but im good with an 'open air' style earlier on. whats being towed would likely be an older american 'muscle' and some basic tools

I'm ok with older, I still consider anything post 1995 a 'newer' car despite being born around then. If a newer gas truck has more benefits that outweigh and older vehicle, I am all ears but this is all new territory for me. Ive never owned anything thats had the capability to tow, nor have I had the budget to 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
8/17/19 5:22 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

I assume diesel chevys were around in '95? are they worth trying to find or should i find a different family of diesel engines?

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
8/17/19 5:37 p.m.

My boss is a big Dodge/Cummins fan. Since he owned a sizable diesel repair shop I trust he knows what’s up.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
8/17/19 5:46 p.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

GM had diesels before the Duramax but personally I wouldn't want one.

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
8/17/19 5:51 p.m.

The last thing you want is a 95 6.5 GM diesel... unless you want a piece of iron* that never runs.

* Note that I said iron because this is as polite forum.....

neverdone
neverdone New Reader
8/17/19 5:53 p.m.

Also, check your state’s tax on diesel.  Here in PA diesel is more expensive than gas.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
8/17/19 5:58 p.m.

Virginia will be the next place i move to... no smog from what i gather?

ill avoid the pre duramax diesels, thanks for the heads up! any other families to avoid?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/17/19 6:05 p.m.

In reply to untchabl :

It's very easy to borrow on an older vehicle via a Credit Union like PenFed. 

Details and examples in this thread

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/learn-me-sub-10k-car-loans/138496/page1/

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/17/19 6:07 p.m.

It sounds like a gas truck would suit you just fine.  

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/19 6:17 p.m.

As a Cummins owner, I say GM truck, get as big a one/ engine as you need. You CAN DD a diesel, but plugging it in is a headache, and short trips are not what they're good at. I was super impressed towing with a buddy's 5.3 (?) GMT. I love my 93 Dodge, but it is a dinosaur.

I got mine cheap, but the diesel tax is real, and mostly unreasonable in my opinion.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/19 6:38 p.m.

If it's just a open trailer and car every so often then get the newest gas 1/2 ton truck you can afford. 

Virginia has annual state inspections. No smog unless you're in like Arlington or something. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
8/17/19 7:12 p.m.

At that price point it'll be tough to find a diesel that isn't ancient and in a clapped out truck, or in need of lots of work, or both. I'd say an f250 with the gas motor would probably be sufficient 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
8/17/19 8:47 p.m.

diesel dreams seem to be just that then.

what gas truck is recommended? anything from the big 3 thats full size would be good enough?

dps214
dps214 Reader
8/17/19 8:51 p.m.
MazdaFace said:

At that price point it'll be tough to find a diesel that isn't ancient and in a clapped out truck, or in need of lots of work, or both. I'd say an f250 with the gas motor would probably be sufficient 

Agreed. For that price you can get a rough older diesel or a really pretty nice, newer gas truck. Which honestly probably won't tow much worse than the older diesel. Also in most cases you can't really make a financial case for diesel unless you absolutely need the ultimate in towing capacity or are going to put a million miles on it, especially now that diesel is more expensive than gas in a lot of places. Otherwise diesels are pretty sweet but it's a thing to get because you want it, not because it's going to save money.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/17/19 9:32 p.m.

GMC 2500 with a 6.0 gas and a 480lE will be just  fine is my guess.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 9:54 p.m.

My FIL just sold his extended cab long bed 4x4 2005 2500hd 1 owner 6.0 chevy for $3500.  I’d look for one like that.  I have saved over $5000 in fuel in the last 3 years by going diesel vs my previous 5.3 truck but I am always towing so my numbers are an anomaly.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/19 10:12 p.m.
neverdone said:

The last thing you want is a 95 6.5 GM diesel... unless you want a piece of iron* that never runs.

My 2000 k2500 with the 6.5 seems to be doing okay, other than a leaky power steering pump (or hose?  Dunno, haven't bothered with it). 

But yeah, diesels are a pita compared to gassers in general.  And double that in the cold :)

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
8/18/19 1:20 a.m.

2000+ Silverado / Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 or 6.0 is my go to tow vehicle in that price range. The 2wd I had was the most fun to drive truck that I’ve ever owned 

Diesel is way over rated unless you’re towing 8-9k lbs regularly. I towed with a 2000+ F250 for 5 or so years and no regrets switching to the Chevy. Wish I had done it sooner 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/18/19 8:26 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
neverdone said:

My 2000 k2500 with the 6.5 seems to be doing okay, other than a leaky power steering pump (or hose?  Dunno, haven't bothered with it). 

But yeah, diesels are a pita compared to gassers in general.  And double that in the cold :)

My 1993 K2500 with the 6.5L TD runs great. Sure it isn't a Duramax, but I didn't expect it to be. AM General is still making the 6.5 for the military. Of course keep saying how bad they are, keeps the prices down for us. Thanks.

To the OP, with the higher prices for Diesels, a good gas truck like others mentioned is probably a better way to go. You should get a nicer gas truck in the price range you listed than a diesel.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/19 2:24 p.m.
untchabl said:

In reply to TurboFocus :

GM had diesels before the Duramax but personally I wouldn't want one.

I truly loved the 6.2 and 6.5L chevy diesels I had.  The 6.2 was in a P-van and had trouble getting out of its own way, but 650k miles of hard use and zero repairs needed were certainly a nice thing.  The 22 mpg in an 18' step van was impressive as well.

The 6.5L I had was in a 98 K3500.  Same Detroit design, but electrical controls.  Spend the $40 on the computer relocator bracket so it doesn't cook and you can likely expect the same lifespan.  Got 23mpg in the K-truck.  Not a ton of HP, but gobs of torque.  Towing 10k lbs it never fell below the speed limit crossing the rockies.

I miss them both very much.  Bulletproof, quiet, sipped fuel.  You can get an easy 50 hp and 2mpg with a cheap chip in a 6.5L.  My neighbor right now has a 6.5L in a Suburban with 350k.

To the OP... the only reason I might steer you away from a diesel is your budget.  $10k around here doesn't buy much of a diesel truck.  It will either be rotted to heck or super high mileage... or both.  They hold their value very well.  If you said $15k, I would tell you to find the nicest 04-06 duramax you can score.  Any of them that has the RPO of LLY or LBZ are the best ones IMO.  They are after the LB7 injector problems, during the VNT Garrett turbo years, but before DPFs.

Then you'll get the bug for bigger injectors, a lift pump, intake, and exhaust... and a 5-pot chip.  You'll put 900+ lb-ft to the wheels and get 22mpg.

As for the original question, I personally LOVE diesels.  Torque, simplicity, and (in most cases) very low repair costs.  The big thing for me (if you have the purchasing capital to get a good one) is resale value.  A few of my diesels I have actually made money or at least broke even after owning them for several years and putting lots of miles on them.  Buy a $10k gas truck, drive it for 5 years, sell it for $2k.  Buy a diesel truck for $10k, drive it for 5 years, sell it for $9k.

As far as DDing a diesel, do it.  I did it for years, and if I had the money and time I would be converting my Mazda pickup to diesel.  There are zero of the "cold start" issues any more.  Its not like an old Detroit 6v92 that you had to plug in overnight if it was below 40 degrees.  I go out and get in Dad's LB7 when it's 20 below and it starts the same as if it was a hot summer day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6QWrUhDAknSc66Btv3xh9P4nMzPFfa868rnR8kW9WvO7mx9sjjWpM5Swc7JzDmj7