1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/31/17 2:39 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YGgS0DtAWVc

How many other media companies not only have AMC Pacer owners on staff, but are willing to boast about them? Thanks to Racer Walsh Co. for this, uh, generous donation.

Watch more videos

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/31/17 2:45 p.m.

It can't be a worse thing than my free Europa!

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/31/17 3:19 p.m.

Solid point.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/31/17 3:19 p.m.

Funny--- I just posted a link to this on the Pacer thread in Off Topic.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/17 3:58 p.m.

It would make a unique race car.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
8/31/17 3:58 p.m.
SVreX wrote: It can't be a worse thing than my free Europa!

Oh, I don't know. A working Europa would be sweet even after it broke my heart. The Pacer certainly has character (like a crazy uncle).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/17 4:54 p.m.
noddaz wrote: It would make a unique race car.

Uncommon, but definitely not unique.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/31/17 5:09 p.m.
JoeTR6 wrote:
SVreX wrote: It can't be a worse thing than my free Europa!
Oh, I don't know. A working Europa would be sweet even after it broke my heart. The Pacer certainly has character (like a crazy uncle).

It was a reference to a very specific Europa that has been passed around GRM for free.

I own it now. It's not working (though few a Europas are). Trust me, I'd be on the winning side if I traded it for a Pacer.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/17 5:29 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Is that Europa an S2 or Twin Cam?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/31/17 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

It's an S2, but hasn't had a drivetrain for years.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/31/17 5:38 p.m.

It's not a free boat, either. Carry on.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/17 7:14 p.m.
mndsm wrote: It's not a free boat, either. Carry on.

No such thing as a Free Boat.

As much as I do not mind the Pacer, I think if I wanted to build a funky race car, It would be around the Gremlin

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/31/17 7:19 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Woody: It's an S2, but hasn't had a drivetrain for years.

You know I want the Europa right? Not right now, but once it's truly broken your soul.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/31/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Get in line. It's a pretty long one.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/17 1:35 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I've realized that Europa ownership is the automotive equivalent of dating a stripper: they only look good from certain angles, and everyone is well aware of there inherent problems - yet there are plenty of guys lined up hoping to get a chance with one.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/1/17 6:14 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett:

Yep. But this stripper is mine- you can't have her.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
9/1/17 7:57 a.m.

Seems like it could be a fun eco-mod project. Trying to clean up the aero a bit shouldn't be too hard. An engine swap to something less anvil-esque could be good, maybe a late Ranger 2.5 with any 2WD transmission behind it?

Homework
Homework New Reader
9/1/17 8:17 a.m.

When was the last time the GRM staff fielded a Challenge entry?

Joe Gearin
9/1/17 10:15 a.m.
Homework wrote: When was the last time the GRM staff fielded a Challenge entry?

I think it's been since the $1500 Challenge. Running and building a car, while also organizing and running the event became a bit much to deal with. We're not saying it will never happen again......but it's been a while.

Besides---we've been completely entertained by what you guys bring!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/1/17 11:25 a.m.

Changing the glass to lexan should drop the car weight by 500 lbs or so, and lower the CofG by 50%

mad_machine
9/1/17 11:51 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Changing the glass to lexan should drop the car weight by 500 lbs or so, and lower the CofG by 50%

There is a lot of excess metal in that car. Did you notice that the sparetyre cover was steel?

Joe Gearin
9/1/17 12:01 p.m.

Pacers were not light cars. The standard car was around 3000 lbs. While a loaded wagon could top 3400 lbs.

Lots of glass, lots of metal, lots of weirdness......and everyone knows that weirdness is heavy!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/1/17 12:54 p.m.

Pacer was on the shortlist of body donors back when I was noodling what turned out to be the Molvo project.

Had I started with the Pacer, I would have gone with a Mustang or 3 series BMW for the donor chassis; that way I could have avoided an engine swap and a wheelbase alteration.

I have always appreciated the "Out of the box" styling risk that they took with the Pacer. Funny how Porsche tried to do something similar with the 928.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
9/1/17 7:56 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Seems like it could be a fun eco-mod project. Trying to clean up the aero a bit shouldn't be too hard. An engine swap to something less anvil-esque could be good, maybe a late Ranger 2.5 with any 2WD transmission behind it?

Easier options than going Ford if the car has a 2.5 I4 in it. AMC didn't want to retool their bellhousings, so they used the GM bolt pattern on their own 2.5 design. Not sure if it changed bolt patterns later in life or not, but they kept building that engine till 2002 in multiport form in both Wrangers and Durangos. And there were 2wd Durangos right up till 2002.

Otherwise, if it's a 258, there's a LOT of easy performance options for that engine.

And, not sure if it's as easy as the Spirit/Concord/Gremlin package, but the AMC V8's may be an easy fit as well. Mmmmmmm 401.

-Hans

mad_machine
9/1/17 11:03 p.m.

interesting idea, considering Jeep was part of AMC, AMC was bought by Chrysler, and now absorbed into FCA, what lightweight, powerful, and small (size wise) engine could we stuff under that hood and still keep it "in the family"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r8j7SlQW27ly6Z8MWct0oW5MGBVlllE5WAAX4RUnprVHZHssDNBKHHTd086J5n9s