GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/15 12:03 p.m.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/09/report-toledo-plant-gains-jeep-pickup-loses-cherokee/

Surely the end is nigh!

NickD
NickD New Reader
9/1/15 12:08 p.m.

Awesome. Too bad they won't have a Jeep Gladiator-based front end though.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
9/1/15 12:30 p.m.

Well, crap. I guess I know what my next vehicle is going to be.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/1/15 12:34 p.m.

Interesting. So perhaps in 2018 we may see a Jeep pickup again. I like the idea.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/1/15 12:40 p.m.

Rumors have been around for forever. They've been making the J8 military jeep for years. Will it be sold to US Customers?

http://www.jgms.com/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
9/1/15 12:55 p.m.

Not that I don't believe it, but when I see it, I'll believe it a lot more.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
9/1/15 4:55 p.m.

Will it be able to tow more than 3500#'s?

My second question after "really?"

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/1/15 5:41 p.m.

They have been able to move the Cherokee to make space in the past and still did not do this. They have always complained about production volume at that plant stopping them from making the trujk.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/15 6:01 p.m.

My brother in law has a "long jeep". Basically a two-door Unlimited. He's got a hardtop for it but most of the time it's running a ragtop. It's the first Wrangler I've seen that I'd like to own. It can basically work like a pickup (get a short hardtop and that's just what it would be) or has room for four people and stuff. I'd pull the back seats and throw in some jump seats for occasional use.

After looking at his, I checked prices. Man, they are retaining value. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks they're a good idea. Why does Jeep not still make them?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/1/15 8:38 p.m.

That J8 program is pretty cool. With the Humvee being replaced by a even larger truck, we could use a small utility vehicle for non-armor required enviroments.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
9/2/15 6:25 p.m.

Although I won't believe it until I see it, this makes more sense as a mid sized pickup than the world market Ford Ranger being discussed in another thread. As in its more legitimately mid sized, and fills a bigger void in the market (very off road capable pickup that isn't as big or expensive as a Raptor)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/15 7:13 p.m.

it always seemed to me that Jeep has never been able to keep up with demand on the few times they have offered a truck like vehicle. I can only assume that they don't offer one as the company that owns them fears it will kill sales on their "real" trucks?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yFDBTvGiCOpxLSWROAFsBP3qoJVsU9uNlsmgydbutaa7XfjLaUPbnHsXauBoOHKz