BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
11/16/20 6:49 p.m.

Well I hope so, because I just did. She aint pretty and she doesnt run yet, but I love it for some really weird reason.  Its a 1991 with a longnose(is that the right term?) 1.6. Already has koni orange shocks and h&r springs. The PO turbo'd it and blew the last motor.  He also didnt do a great job on hooking everything back up.  oh well.  I knew what I was getting into when i bought it.  I was told it just need a battery hooked up and fluids and shes ready to go.  Since when is that all a non running car needs?  So I put oil in it, and then put a battery in it.  Then the battery ground cable decided to melt the shielding.  Great.  Wiring issues.  So Im going through the wiring harness and dont find anything.  Do some research and learn that the ground cable actually goes to what I know as torque arm.  Which I learned is call the PPF.  Hurray learning!  I get the car in the air and I see the ground cable is all kinds of messed up.  Like, exposed, spread out, and frayed.  Ill post a picture of that as well.  But, I got that fixed and try again, and the cable still gets a little warm.  hmmm.   crawl back under and start tracing the wire.  get all the way to the front and realize the cable leading to the starter wasnt tightened all the way down and was arching on the starter itself.  So I get that tightened back up and hook up the battery again, and low and behold, no more hot wiring!  Bad news is that the starter is shot.  might have something to do with it arching off itself.  But who knows.  I have another one coming along with another fuel pump because I didnt hear it come one when the key is on. That pretty much sums it up.  I get to learn a new chassis and hope to be able to take it on track sometime.  Then eventually I plan on K swapping it in the future.  But it wont get that until the SWMBO civic gets one. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/20 7:29 p.m.

Nothing says I don't give a E36 M3 but I'm gonna have a lot of fun like the pictures of that Miata.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/16/20 7:36 p.m.

Is it okay to buy a Miata when you still have an unfinished project?

Is this a trick question?

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/20 7:40 p.m.

Do you really think you would get anything other than enabling encouragement?

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/16/20 7:52 p.m.

It would have been irresponsible to NOT bring that home.

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
11/16/20 7:58 p.m.

I figured you guys would approved of something like this.  Also, It could be my first time to be able to enter a $2000 challenge.  Wins all around! 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/17/20 9:00 a.m.

Personally I only like one project at a time. 

But I think I may be in the minority based on the number of people here who have multiple, unfinished projects. 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/17/20 9:31 a.m.

It is never not okay to buy a Miata, no matter how many projects you have.  But this is how I wound up with three project Miatas and a house full of other projects.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
11/17/20 11:22 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/miata/170843/page1/

My build thread about one red miata has seen the purchase of 3 Miata in it, they have a tendency to multiply.

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
11/17/20 9:42 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

I've been following.  Its funny how they seem to do that.  

BeardedMuffin
BeardedMuffin Reader
11/17/20 9:44 p.m.

Also, anyone have a spare manifold back exhaust laying around in the South Carolina area?  Shes gonna be super loud otherwise, and my neighbors already probably not my biggest fans for having a heads and cam ls1 car. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
11/19/20 9:32 a.m.

The answer is yes.  I'm guilty of recently doing this as well, bought this while still building another rallycross car, oops!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/rusty-rallycross-miata-the-supercharged-answer/177830/page1/

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/20 9:38 a.m.

I do it all the time, had 4 Miatas earlier this year.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
11/19/20 9:53 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Is this a trick question?

Like asking the bartender if its OK to have a beer before 5.

Like asking a prostitute if its OK to have sex before marriage.

Like asking an Ed Jones agent if its OK to invest in high fee mutual funds.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/19/20 11:44 a.m.

Only if you don't want to finish your project. I only have my minivan to drive right now to motivate me to finish my RX7 project. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fj1M5SsoeJYOtzDLuZMzB7zbKrzD7V88sQjmgUIwktElz0aZuaIR0kyADpflt9Ny