David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/20 11:02 a.m.
feature_image

Pick up a Porsche Cayman for the price of an external hard drive and some Air Jordans? Sure, why not. 

That’s Pimpm3’s goal. 

The thread initially lays out the backstory:

“So I was perusing the local Facebook market place this weekend and stumbled across a Brey Krause roll bar extension for sale.  I wanted one of these when I had …

Read the rest of the story

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
1/14/20 12:37 p.m.

That's funny, because when i read the thread title I immediately thought "well there's always ONE GUY like the one that traded a paper clip to Porsche to house so TECHNICALLY anything's possible". laugh

David S. Wallens
1/14/20 1:09 p.m.
Vigo said:

That's funny, because when i read the thread title I immediately thought "well there's always ONE GUY like the one that traded a paper clip to Porsche to house so TECHNICALLY anything's possible". laugh

Exactly. And, I know, this post seems like a repost. Posting this as a news item on the site helps spread the word even further. So let's see if Jeremy can turn that paperclip into a house. 

Grantsfo
Grantsfo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/14/20 4:55 p.m.

.... it's sort of odd as there is time and effort to trade and sell.   If your time isn't worth much guess this is viable ....sort of.  ....bottom line your still buying cayman for whatever owner sells it not $250.    If you sell and trade stuff enough to get to point of buying cayman you could also chose to invest same money in hot stock and maybe end up with a GT3.   

This logic that youre  only spending $250 on a cayman  is like my wife telling me she didn't spend $500 due to sale on shoes she spent $1000 rather than $1500.  ....Uh yeah sure.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/14/20 5:09 p.m.

I feel pretty confident that I can pull it off.

Grantsfo:

I understand my time is valuable but i thought this could be a cool experience and it will make a great story if it works out.  At the end of the day we all waste a ton of time playing with cars that technically could be put to more efficient use. 

If I had my overtime rate at work for all the hours I spent messing with stupid cars I would simply write a check for a brand new 911 but alas that's not the case. 

I do however have a $250 roll bar extension and time that I would otherwise use playing with my 4runner, or my NX2000, or my corvair, or my s10 etc...

David S. Wallens
1/14/20 5:28 p.m.

We totally have faith in pimpm3 on this. 

mdgalv
mdgalv New Reader
1/15/20 6:03 a.m.
Grantsfo said:

This logic that youre  only spending $250 on a cayman  is like my wife telling me she didn't spend $500 due to sale on shoes she spent $1000 rather than $1500.  ....Uh yeah sure.

I've had a "debate" with my wife about this funny math as well. My wife would then also add that $500 to her budget to allow for additional purchases! 

Back on topic: This reminds me of a TV show I was watching a few years back. This is exactly the basis of what these guys/girl did. Start with a small purchase and barter it up to something worth substantially more. Some times they did better than others.

https://www.aetv.com/shows/barter-kings

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
1/15/20 6:19 p.m.

All I can add is that I got a Cayman three months ago and it will be worth whatever time it requires to trade your way into one. Godspeed, sir. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/15/20 6:50 p.m.
ShinnyGroove said:

All I can add is that I got a Cayman three months ago and it will be worth whatever time it requires to trade your way into one. Godspeed, sir. 

I hope so, I can't wait to get the ball rolling.  

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/15/20 7:00 p.m.

Can he do it? Will the stars properly align? And will this Cayman be eligible for the $2000 Challenge?

Is it weird that I read this in "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy" narrator voice? Will someone answer this question with a question? And how many of you are reading these questions in that voice now?

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/20 8:14 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Can he do it? Will the stars properly align? And will this Cayman be eligible for the $2000 Challenge?

Is it weird that I read this in "Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy" narrator voice? Will someone answer this question with a question? And how many of you are reading these questions in that voice now?

In my Office Space, Lawrence voice, Hell yeah!  I say its legal if documented well.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/20 2:20 p.m.

Pimpm3, is the goal to literally trade from one item to the next?  I was assuming sales for money and then subsequent purchases using money.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/16/20 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

No of I sell the roll bar for 600.  I will buy a car for 600.  If I sell the car for 1000 I will buy the next car for 1000.  Etc...

Trades will work as well if the right deal presents itself.  I am not adding any money, only using what is generated from the transactions.

spandak
spandak Reader
1/16/20 6:24 p.m.

How will you handle the large chunk of lost profit that is taxes? 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/16/20 6:28 p.m.

I have a side business wholesaleing cars.  I do all my car transactions through it for tax purposes.  I will keep track of it through the business, and pay taxes accordingly as I do each year.

David S. Wallens
1/26/20 5:31 p.m.
davidnyc
davidnyc
1/27/20 12:04 p.m.

Ok. I bought your rollbar. Now let's see what happens. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/27/20 1:11 p.m.

Nice small world.  Enjoy the roll bar! 

I am glad a GRM'er unwittingly got the ball rolling laugh what are the odds...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WF207ehSaikvYYje6O8cUUz62nvOCc9wBaxYGX14qpj9E1i8P5LgWoth8lX0nfW7