1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/4/19 1:20 p.m.

Turbo manual Supra was in the 3350 range. Oddly lighter than the previous model, which was an achievement. 

'95 Mustang Cobra was also in the 3350 range.

300ZX TT was more than 3500.

3000GT TT was north of 3700.

RX-7 TT was in the 2800 range 

NSX was around 3000 (not really fair since it was far more expensive).

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/4/19 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

I own all 3 of my CA properties free and clear :) only place I would move to in TX would be Austin :) 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/4/19 1:25 p.m.
CobraSpdRH said:

So being in my late 30s I've been around long enough to see the classics appreciate (60s-70s) out of my price range before I had the $, and now the stuff I grew up with is going up in value (80s-90's) and will soon be out of my price range.

I wonder when the stuff later in the curve actually starts to go down? Like, will 60's collector cars/trucks actually start going down with a dwindling audience? I would guess 40s and 50s cars don't have a huge audience at this point, but have no idea if their values have dropped at all...

It's possible, although I believe there are still enough Gen-X'ers who grew up lusting after 60's and 70's muscle cars to keep their values fairly stable as the Baby-boomers cash-out or die-off.  Especially as we start to reach our peak earning years and become empty nesters. 

jnoiles
jnoiles New Reader
1/4/19 3:43 p.m.

No, 5 years ago was the time to start hoarding 90s Japanese sports cars.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
1/4/19 5:09 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89 :

The0retical said:

Why though? The entire driving force behind the popularity of the 90's bubble cars was that people modified the crap out of them. If you're buying a low mile completely stock one you ovbiously have no idea why these where popular in the first place and are just jumping on the band wagon.

Plus you can't drive it anyway because it's now an investment.

I'll take an uncrashed modified one any day of the week over a garage queen.

I totally agree with this. The appeal (to me) was the availability of performance parts for these cars, they were cars that were light weight, fast, and could handle decent right out of the box vs. a lot of the domestic market, at the time, was still being the "4000 lbs car with 3/4 race cam, 750 double pumper and double-hump heads" crowd (not to say there weren't exceptions). Plus late 80's/early 90's japanese cars were arguably some of the best looking cars on the market at the time.

If i ever got my hands on an unmolested supra/rx7/300zx/3000gt/skyline/NSX/etc. i would end up 'molesting' it pretty hard.

I also agree. One of the main reasons that these cars were so special at the time was that it didn't take much to match or beat the true supercars of the day for pennies on the dollar. Stock, they were on par with the Corvette of the day. Add an intake, exhaust, and a bit more boost, and suddenly you could play with Vipers and Ferraris. 

These are going up in value because people who lusted after them when they were younger can now afford them. I can remember when the 60's muscle cars were at the bottom of their depreciation curve. Most were just beat up old cars, filling the high school parking lot. Kids with more money had newer Civics or fox body Mustangs. You didn't see old Shelby Mustangs running around or '67 Vettes. Those were still too valuable to drop to beater status, and the first to start climbing back up. Much like the '90's Japanese supercars we are talking about. Then other 60's muscle cars became popular, until it got to the point where just about any car from that era climbed in value. 

Soon, the good examples of these cars will reach a point where many who want them will be priced out. They will move on to the next tier of cars, likely cars people previously did own and want to relive. Integras, DSM's, MR2s, etc.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/19 5:58 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
Plus late 80's/early 90's japanese cars were arguably some of the best looking cars on the market at the time.

You mean best-looking cars on the market ever. :)

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
1/4/19 9:28 p.m.

Nostalgia makes people do dumb things. It's why the big bads from the late 60s/early 70s were all jumping up in price despite not actually being that great as far as cars went.

I imagine the only reason the same people who ruined the muscle car market haven't yet done the same thing to the Japanese sports market is there's much less to work with there. Which is a good thing I suppose, lord knows we don't need 1 of 15 Rx7s selling for 110k but we'll see in another decade or so.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/4/19 9:55 p.m.

I own all 3 of my CA properties free and clear :) only place I would move to in TX would be Austin :) 

Who says you have to live here? Just buy 9 houses on the NW side of San Antonio and rent them out to ex-Californians who couldn't afford to live in Cali and moved here, that way their money will still go back to some more prosperous Californian or other. You too can join the ranks of 'Little Cali Slumlord'.  cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZI7tdWanqp5AAta5gFdh6NfHxRZHJeJFWt2WhuRwHj9CXTWuUz31ynQrdy2KUA8K