GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/13 5:24 p.m.

I'm replacing a seatbelt in my sammy, the belt is stitched into the reel on these things or I'd swap in my old belt. The little button-like thing that catches the latch and keeps it from falling to the floor has broken off, if I just stitch a button on there with some nylon thread is that a terrible idea?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/13 6:20 p.m.
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/26/13 7:01 p.m.

You can get latch thingies at wally world or the auto parts store. I think they are used in car seat applications. They snap over the belt.

GameboyRMH
10/26/13 8:06 p.m.

Yeah it's that part I have to replace. I thought about clipping something over the belt, but I'd rather sew it in if it's safe.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/26/13 9:03 p.m.

what color do you need? i may have some. i need to go to the dealer and get a gray one for my truck, think all the ones i have are blue and marroon.

GameboyRMH
10/28/13 8:17 a.m.

Importing anything would be way too much trouble...but if piercing the belt with that spike is safe then surely a few threads through it (as it came from the factory) is safe right?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/13 8:19 a.m.

maybe.. but make sure it is secure, you do not want the button getting sucked into the mechanism and locking everything up. Just think on this.. there -is- a reason the old button went missing

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/28/13 8:34 a.m.

Large paper clip.

Barette?

GameboyRMH
10/28/13 8:42 a.m.

Just to be clear this button doesn't limit the belt's retraction (the Samurai's seatbelt doesn't have this), this catches the latch and keeps it from falling to the bottom of the belt (mounted at the floor).

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/13 9:17 a.m.

I don't think you will die from sewing a button to a seatbelt.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
10/28/13 10:04 a.m.

I use 3/16 aluminum rivets with the aluminum backing washer when faced with that issue. So far so good.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/28/13 10:11 a.m.

Tangential but similar question pertenent to my interests:

What about cutting/folding the belt and box stitching it to be shorter?

I've lost 30 lbs since I bought my R3 H&N restraint and I had to put a triple clamp in the waist belt to make it fit. I drove the last two endurance races with a 4" hunk of uncomfortable metal wedged in my ribs. Something must be done.

GameboyRMH
10/28/13 10:14 a.m.

I was looking that up as well (since I don't think this belt has a whole lot of life left in it), and it shouldn't surprise you that "structural" stitching is super-duper-important and should only be done by professionals. This company does it in the US:

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/28/13 10:31 a.m.

Just sew on a button. Use good poly thread. It will be fine and if you choose the button carefully, it will be a nice touch from a visual standpoint.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VqwcMIFjED8g6tBP3xRps16OUyMA8H3M12fDGuz9OJkrrIvXIUcYPpeIAlP5LuG2