ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/21/20 8:36 p.m.

Currently have the (I assume) very heavy Z-71 wheels. Without considering appearance, is there a significantly lighter wheel out there that can be had cheaply?

Id even entertain 4 factory steel spare wheels if they were significantly lighter. 

(And like most threads here, please don't look into the logic or reasoning behind this pursuit.)

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/21/20 8:48 p.m.

Some Bassett, Aero or Diamond steel racing wheels  might work. They'll be 15" diameter though, in 8 or 10" width. There should be a lightweight option where the hoops are spun up out of thinner steel than the road versions.

Edit" I didn't check, but this ASSumes your truck is a 5x5 bolt pattern.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/21/20 8:57 p.m.

Look on tirerack.com, you can sort by weight.  They have some oe size wheels that weigh 18 lbs each.  I would be curious what the factory ones weigh for comparison.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
1/21/20 8:58 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Edit" I didn't check, but this ASSumes your truck is a 5x5 bolt pattern.

If it's older 4WD or newer 4WD or 2WD it should be 6x5.5 (139.7mm)

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/21/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

GMT800's (along with every GM 1/2 ton since the 70's are 6 lug.) Fords had the very popular 5x5.5.

I appreciate the contribution though. I'll check out those wheels and see if it leads anywhere.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/21/20 9:16 p.m.

Looks like my factory wheels weigh ~30 lbs each.

So what kind of a difference in seat of the pants feel would a 22lb wheel make compared to a 30lb wheel?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/20 9:18 p.m.

From experience on a 99 Z71 some 16s won't fit much less 15s. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/20 9:25 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

GMT800's (along with every GM 1/2 ton since the 70's are 6 lug.) Fords had the very popular 5x5.5.

I appreciate the contribution though. I'll check out those wheels and see if it leads anywhere.

*every half ton 4x4 gm.  2wd were 5x5 till the end of the gmt400 run

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/21/20 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Thanks for that. I really need to make it clear that I'm referring to a 4x4 in the future.

Would an 8lb lighter wheel make for a more enjoyable driving experience in this case?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 5:47 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

I'm not sure the tires are much lighter than the wheels, so I don't think you'd feel an 8lb difference per corner on a truck that size.

What exactly is the issue you're trying to correct/improve? My first thought would be trying a good set of shocks to provide better control of your unsprung weight. 

Will
Will UltraDork
1/22/20 7:53 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to Patrick :

Thanks for that. I really need to make it clear that I'm referring to a 4x4 in the future.

Would an 8lb lighter wheel make for a more enjoyable driving experience in this case?

In a Miata, maybe. In a half-ton 4x4, you won't notice a difference.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/22/20 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I just put on four new Bilsteins. I thought I'd feel more on an improvement. I assumed reducing unsprung weight would help the driving experience.

I know how amazingly better walking feels when I take off my heavy boots and put on my lighter sneakers. I feel lighter and more athletic. I thought I could do the same for my truck.

Keeping the same size tires would equate an 8 lb loss per wheel.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
1/22/20 8:52 p.m.
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/22/20 8:55 p.m.

In reply to white_fly :

Love those... but I wasn't trying to spend almost $3,000 on wheel!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/22/20 8:59 p.m.

What tires do you have on it? Get a good tire on your truck can improve. I put some nice Michelin tires on my f250 and it was drastically better than the Coopers on it.  They were $$

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/20 9:16 p.m.

I'm pretty sure 4x4 toyota 6 lug wheels will fit your chevy. You could look there too and see if something lighter exists. Tacos, t100s, 4runners, 80-series land cruisers, etc. The offset gets weird in like 2005 so maybe look earlier than that. 

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
1/22/20 9:23 p.m.

I can't imagine anything would help my GMT800 *less* than lighter wheels. They might look cool, but from a utility standpoint, are they going to do anything at all? The giant truck is still going to drive like a giant truck.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 10:46 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I just put on four new Bilsteins. I thought I'd feel more on an improvement. I assumed reducing unsprung weight would help the driving experience.

I know how amazingly better walking feels when I take off my heavy boots and put on my lighter sneakers. I feel lighter and more athletic. I thought I could do the same for my truck.

Keeping the same size tires would equate an 8 lb loss per wheel.

I think unsprung weight is best expressed as a percentage of overall vehicle weight. In your case, with a very heavy vehicle, the percentage change with an 8 lb loss is awfully small.

A set of Fox shocks sure helped my Dodge 2500. I changed the wheels and kept the same tires and didn't notice any difference in driving. Don't remember the weight difference though.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/23/20 12:05 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think unsprung weight is best expressed as a percentage of overall vehicle weight. In your case, with a very heavy vehicle, the percentage change with an 8 lb loss is awfully small.

There's, what, 200 pounds worth of unsprung weight in the axles on a 3/4 ton truck?  Probably more?  I don't see lighter wheels being noticable compared to that.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
1/23/20 5:56 a.m.

Somewhat relevant experience here as I own a 2017 Yukon and swap between the stock 22” wheel:tire setup and a 17” winter wheel/tire setup every fall and spring.   I haven’t actually weighed them both but my back dyno knows there is a difference during change overs.   Biggest difference I feel is in steering response and impact mitigation with the 17” setup.   I said somewhat relevant above as my bus has the magneto rheological shocks which I assume are adjusting for the changes in mass at some level.  

Also agree with Keith on the Dodge 2500 Fox shocks comment above.  I installed them on my Dodge and had a similar improvement.  

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/23/20 8:42 a.m.

I agree with the tire comment above.  When I switched to a set of Michelin tires on my wife's armada it made for a big improvement in the ride over the oem Bridgestones.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ePHXnpcO6TD1MqtDEeX3PP1L6iVxQWTvFPoa1z057H3ug6nLW3OsP1cmf2DOodr