1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
10/31/14 10:02 a.m.

I mean, you all should know by now I'm a glutton for punishment. I know virtually nothing about it. Apparently it doesn't run, but that's all I know. It looks like it's been sitting for a while, and I don't even know if anyone has even tried to start it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/14 10:04 a.m.

where is it? Can I haz?

I assume that you are on the way to get it right now.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
10/31/14 10:05 a.m.

I always wanted one of those. Maintenance intensive, extremely rust prone. Unless you have deep pockets I'd examine it very, very carefully.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
10/31/14 10:10 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: where is it? Can I haz? I assume that you are on the way to get it right now.

I'm disclosing that info publicly as of yet, but I will say that the only reason I'm not on my way to get it right now is that it's about 5 hours away. What would the hive say that that car would be worth, as-is in it's current condition?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/31/14 10:11 a.m.

Looks clean, has cool wheels. $500?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/14 10:12 a.m.

A few bucks more than the wheels on their own would be my guess.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/31/14 10:12 a.m.

The GTV6 is a car that holds true to the "Buy the best one you can afford" principle. Purchasing a beautiful one for $10K will probably end up being cheaper than bringing this car back up to snuff.

That said--- they make glorious noises, handle well, and look cool. They aren't all that quick though (8 secs to 60), have miserable shift linkages (think Porsche 914), and rust like.....well, an Italian car.

I think your money and time would be better spent building another Giugiaro-designed car.....like a Mk1 Scirocco!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/31/14 10:15 a.m.

Nah, there's way too many of those on the road nowadays. You won't even stand out.

I'll take it!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/31/14 11:13 a.m.

Do not start it until the timing belt is done, if it snaps the engine is toast

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
10/31/14 12:06 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Do not start it until the timing belt is done, if it snaps the engine is toast

...which may very well be why it doesn't start right now.

But those things are lovely.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
10/31/14 12:18 p.m.

So many reasons why it's a bad idea to get this, but hey it's not my money so I think you should get it and do a build thread!

sanman
sanman HalfDork
10/31/14 1:32 p.m.

To sum up the collective wisdom here at GRM...

This is a terrible idea and a money pit, no one in their right mind should buy thid unless their only other choice is a biturbo. So, when are you picking it up?

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart HalfDork
10/31/14 3:58 p.m.

I saw that one when the "seller" posted it on their FB page. Hope it gets saved!

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
10/31/14 4:12 p.m.

They really aren't that scary, and the parts aren't that expensive. If the timing belt hasn't slipped or broken, get it, and change the timing belt, water pump and fuel lines then try to start it. It may very well be fine.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/14 4:38 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: They really aren't that scary, and the parts aren't that expensive. If the timing belt hasn't slipped or broken, get it, and change the timing belt, water pump and fuel lines then try to start it. It may very well be fine.

And if it has, swap in an LS3 and relabel it a "GTV8" on the back?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/31/14 4:47 p.m.

As long as the glass is in good shape and minimal rust, I'd entertain the idea. There's a bit of a body kit on it from where I'm sitting.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
10/31/14 5:10 p.m.

What's the unobtanium about these? There's running 164s with 3.0 engines out there for less than a grand for an upgrade. Rust I can see the issue, or trim bits. For this crowd I would think it's possible to run one fairly cheap if you're willing to get creative

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
10/31/14 5:46 p.m.

A terrible thought just popped into my head. The Mazda J series v6 from 929s has a very similar look to it, they sound nice to. If you grafted the plenum from the alfa onto the Mazda engine you could fool a lot of people. It's not a dead ringer for the Busso V6, but its close. Figure out how to put some Alfa Romeo script on the valve covers, and swap over the Plenum like I mentioned earlier, run it on megasquirt, and don't tell anyone that can't figure it out for themselves.

If the Alfa's engine turns out to be healthy, disregard everything I just said. Much like a Ducati, the engine is the main reason to own an Alfa.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
10/31/14 6:09 p.m.
oldtin wrote: There's running 164s with 3.0 engines out there for less than a grand for an upgrade.

This idea is much better than my idea. I forgot that those engines are the easy button.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/31/14 7:07 p.m.

the 3.0 is a -very- easy button to upgrade..

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
10/31/14 7:51 p.m.

Those wheels are sweet. Where's it located, and if the rest of the car can't be salvaged, can someone nearby maybe snag the wheels for me? 5x98 is a very obscure bolt pattern and my 164 could use a nice set of summer rims...

And no, OP, you may not use my 164's engine. But feel free to find a spare 24V and swap it in!

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/31/14 8:15 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: 1-I mean, you all should know by now I'm a glutton for punishment. 2- I know virtually nothing about it. 3- Apparently it doesn't run, but that's all I know. 4- It looks like it's been sitting for a while, 5 I don't even know if anyone has even tried to start it.

Nope...I got nothing.

Looks like you should be good to go.

Clear sailing all the way. Yup.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
10/31/14 11:40 p.m.
AaronBalto wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: Do not start it until the timing belt is done, if it snaps the engine is toast
...which may very well be why it doesn't start right now.

Right. The Busso V-6 is an interference engine, so if the timing belt snaps, you'll have 12 (or 24 if you upgrade) expensive valves to replace.

If you do get this GTV6, then make sure you do a timing belt change first thing after you get it home, then change them every 30k miles or 5 years (3 years for 24V), whichever come first. No exceptions.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/31/14 11:58 p.m.

When will this thread transition into the build thread?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/1/14 9:34 a.m.

If the timing belt breaks, it's not the end of the world.

Lot of work, but the big thing is a valve change- which isn't that hard. Although, a valve guide change should be in order, too.

One of the best parts about Alfa like this is that the enigne is very rebuildable. As long as there's not a hole in the side of the block, everything can be replaced. And the cranks are super stout.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xqVAOjrbYCVJdc8Oz8lJJ73tTF0gIThGlSv4kKwIfsrmO2lPbCncXNkwD7xyBKq2