1 2 3 ... 5
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/16 10:29 a.m.

Preferably one that isn't spelled "996 Turbo".

I've been considering an early WRX as a combined really E36 M3ty weather winter jalopy and track car as my 996 isn't doing that well in really grotty weather, plus the carpark at work is pretty small so taking my extended cab/long bed F150 really isn't that great an idea.

Problem with the WRX especially is that they seem to attract the wannabe F&F extras with no modifying skill and no money, so finding a good one and getting there in time before someone else like me snaps it up is almost impossible for me.

Plus, I'd rather have something that flys a little more under the local fuzz's radar.

So, what would be a more grown-up version that still has a decent aftermarket so I can slowly build into a street class time attack car and can be had for 6k-7k?

Basically, AWD sedan or station wagon with good snow tire availability (that's one of the problems I'm having with the 996) and decent aftermarket. Preferably turbo for for those Auto-X sessions at 5000'-8000'.

BMW 330xi comes to mind but supposedly the handling is a bit compromised due to the AWD system. Mazdaspeed6? AWD converted Miata?

In Japan, one could get a Legacy GT-B or a Mitsubishi Legnum that were targeted at people with exactly those requirements, but both are not old enough to be imported yet.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/16 10:32 a.m.

Mazdaspeed6 as mentioned. Volvo S60R/V70R?

3SGTE swapped Rav4?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/16 10:34 a.m.

forester XT?

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/18/16 10:35 a.m.

You could get a Legacy GT wagon here with a manual in 2005.

EDIT: nevermind, good luck finding one for 6-7k.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/16 10:38 a.m.

VW R32?

BoxheadTim
1/18/16 10:39 a.m.

One of my SCCA PDX students last year was running an S60R, that seemed to be a bit of an understeermonster to me. It was reasonably quick but even the owner wasn't that impressed with it. It seemed to hold up mostly OK, though, and they came back for just about every event.

How hard is it to find a V70R or S60R with a Manual trans?

Forester XT has been mentioned in the other thread as well, what are they like for track use?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
patgizz wrote: forester XT?

Second that. Big, roomy, boxy (for stealthiness) and share the same motor (and suspension, too?) as the WRX. So, anything available for the WRX is available for the Forester XT. Or, anything an STi owner is upgrading, you can use to make an STi Forester.

-Rob

BoxheadTim
EvanB wrote: VW R32?

About double my budget, especially out here.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/18/16 10:41 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: You could get a Legacy GT wagon here with a manual in 2005. EDIT: nevermind, good luck finding one for 6-7k.

All 7 of them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/18/16 10:43 a.m.
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/16 10:45 a.m.

I've poked around this market, too, and unfortunately the best options seem to come with the threat of VAG reliability hanging over them.

STM317
STM317 Reader
1/18/16 10:53 a.m.

What about the Saabaru's? Same mechanicals as the Impreza with a bit more upscale interior and more understated exterior. Most ricers seem to forget about them.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
1/18/16 11:00 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In Japan, one could get a Legacy GT-B or a Mitsubishi Legnum that were targeted at people with exactly those requirements

It sounds like you want to look for an 06-09 Legacy Spec B.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
1/18/16 11:01 a.m.

The extremes in weather conditions and performance desires seem to outstrip what most vehicles can deliver for you. What about having a dead nuts reliable 4wd suv to deal with the winter commute and either continue the development of the MR2 or swap for a track/toy that's good to go? My take is that anything that can deal with your winter will be too compromised for you to be happy with in better weather.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/18/16 11:10 a.m.

Look at a maZdaspeed6

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5403283006.html

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/18/16 11:24 a.m.

Going to be hard to find one that'll be a comfy, well apportioned winter DD and do track car duty as well.

The S4/R32's are the nicest for DD and the worst for track car. An Evo/STi is the best track car and the worst winter DD as far as comfort. Plus didn't you already have an Evo and have issues? The older Evo seats are pretty similar and I've found the Suby seats to be far worse for comfort than the Evo recaros.

It might be best to seperate the two duties. Keep your MR2 Turbo as the track car and pick up an E46 330xi for a nice winter DD...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/18/16 11:25 a.m.

Where do you live again? Maybe it's because I live in the northeast snow-belt, but I see a lot of WRX's & STI's puttering around and most of them are stock/original cars.

That said, I love a nice aftermarket exhaust on those, so if I ever bought one that's probably the first thing I'd do even if no other mods.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/18/16 11:33 a.m.
Duke wrote:
xflowgolf wrote: You could get a Legacy GT wagon here with a manual in 2005. EDIT: nevermind, good luck finding one for 6-7k.
All 7 of them.

I never knew they were that rare. I looked at one a couple years ago and it was a little to rough for my liking. I wasn't looking for a project, maybe I should have bought it and fixed it up?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/16 11:50 a.m.

Charger R/T AWD

Desmond
Desmond Reader
1/18/16 11:51 a.m.

Audi turbo quattro? Any version.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
1/18/16 11:54 a.m.

Legacy GT. Who cares if it's automatic? Clutch pedals and manual transmissions are abundant and cheap. It's been described as "a grown up's WRX"

docwyte
docwyte Dork
1/18/16 11:56 a.m.

Sell your truck and replace it with a nice SUV. Keep the MR2 for track duty.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
1/18/16 12:14 p.m.

mazda speed 6. definitely flys under the cops radar.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
1/18/16 12:19 p.m.

i think Dodge used to sell awd minivans with turbo motors in them... that's pretty "grown up" and stealthy..

jere
jere HalfDork
1/18/16 12:20 p.m.
STM317 wrote: What about the Saabaru's? Same mechanicals as the Impreza with a bit more upscale interior and more understated exterior. Most ricers seem to forget about them.

This, a family member has one its great car

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YzfQ0dV7DblnTUVgcOQMLah2LJgBJGyJHM0tGWUB77jvgEEgsmstW7PokBqf7flp