1 2
e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
10/31/14 10:08 p.m.

My brother and I got in this yesterday after looking at a car. Does the perfect car exist? One that can do it all for X budget? We're trying to narrow down a vehicle for me next and it seems like not one single car can do it all in Wisconsin. Now, if there were no budget I'm sure this would be less of an issue, but does anyone else feel this way? (If I'm beating a dead horse with this topic just ignore me)

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
10/31/14 10:21 p.m.
e23inGB wrote: Does the perfect car exist?

No.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
10/31/14 10:24 p.m.

Station wagons.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/31/14 10:28 p.m.

No, but I'm sure everyone has an opinion on what the perfect car is...

Opti
Opti Reader
10/31/14 10:47 p.m.

No. I work on them for a living and they all suck in their own ways.

Example, I love my corvette and Ive always wanted a C5, and for what I spent many would say they are the best performance car you can buy, but they are horrible cars, they scrape on everything, a/c blows weak compared to appliance cars, tiny ass mirrors (never think itd be a problem until you try and use them), consumables and maintenance are expensive compared to appliances. Cars are all compromises and a compromise cant be perfect, you just have to figure out what you want and what your willing to give up for it.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/31/14 10:53 p.m.

If there was, we would all be driving the same car. Instead everything is a compromise, and each individual prioritizes different characteristics at different points throughout their life. Ultimately leading us each to different cars as the cloesest we can get to our own current perfect.

When I lived in Wisconsin, my Miata was as close to perfect for me as anything.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
10/31/14 11:28 p.m.
e23inGB wrote: One that can do it all for X budget?

Even taking budget out of the equation I have yet to find a perfect single car.

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
11/1/14 12:11 a.m.
When I lived in Wisconsin, my Miata was as close to perfect for me as anything.

How'd the miata do in winter? That's one of the many on my short list of vehicles...

EvanR
EvanR Dork
11/1/14 12:48 a.m.

All vehicles are, by nature, compromise. My current DD is an '05 Scion xB. I love the fuel economy, but the sacrifice for that is that it's buzzy on the highway. I love the interior space, but the sacrifice for that is it gets blown around on the highway.

Et cetera, et cetera.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
11/1/14 1:47 a.m.

In reply to e23inGB:

The only real problem I had was the day my slightly oversized snow tires were waiting on my door step when I got home, after being towed out of the ditch. All-season tires are unacceptable for a Miata in Wisconsin winters. Honestly it was dicey at times, and you do especially have to be a smarter driver than the typical 4x4 drivers that still manage to make up ~1/2 of the vehicles in the ditch after a good snowfall. You also have to be mindful of the snow depth. This is also one instance where the higher ride height years would probably be somewhat advantageous. Overall though, I probably had at least as much fun driving that Miata around Appleton in the snow as I have any of my cars in the summer...And Wisconsin summers are great for convertibles.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
11/1/14 5:22 a.m.

There is no such thing as a perfect car because there are so many different uses for a car like rallycross and drag racing where making it good for one isn't good for another use. Then, from a philosophical standpoint, we're not perfect so we can never create something that is perfect.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/1/14 5:43 a.m.

Yeah...of course there is....and it's being driven by the perfect woman.

On a more serious note, to me, the perfect car is one that is paid for and you could afford to replace with cash that you have in a drawer with zero regrets. The definition will float with your financial budged. Such cars have a fun and performance personality that goes beyond even rental cars.

The other perfect car is any project car that I like and someone else is building. It's hard to beat spending someone else's time and money while you get the vicarious thrill of building the dream!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/1/14 5:52 a.m.

I'll be the dissenting opinion, just for fun. Yes.

When I had mine I felt the car had "everything you need and nothing you don't". Cute, fun, economical, carries four in comfort (really!), foul weather traction, and on and on. It really is the perfect car, but it doesn't satisfy everyone because it doesn't scratch each individual's personal itches. The other option is:

Pretty much everything the Mini does but in a larger, more solid package. Bonus for being rwd and having some powah. Addresses most of the criticisms people may have with the Mini.

No surprise I've owned at least one of each, and they still rank as my favorite cars to drive.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/14 7:00 a.m.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/1/14 7:20 a.m.

Just Impossible.

For me, a Miata might be the answer.. Except I'm 6'-5" and won't ever fit in one (unless it's a comedy skit).

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
11/1/14 7:24 a.m.

I think if I were in Wisconsin I'd have to consider a 4WD wagon to "do it all". Bring back 8 bales of insulation from HD, rallyX or autoX on Sunday.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/14 7:41 a.m.

I would think that the 911 is pretty close. It is a sports car you can drive daily, in AWD guise it can go almost anywhere, and with the small front trunk and the seats folded down, swallow quite a bit of kit.. all while taking you from the autocross, to the store, to the opera

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/14 8:26 a.m.
e23inGB wrote: My brother and I got in this yesterday after looking at a car. Does the perfect car exist? One that can do it all for X budget? We're trying to narrow down a vehicle for me next and it seems like not one single car can do it all in Wisconsin. Now, if there were no budget I'm sure this would be less of an issue, but does anyone else feel this way? (If I'm beating a dead horse with this topic just ignore me)

I've been looking at W8 Passat Wagons and 2.7t Allroads. Both can be had really cheap because of the German car depreciation nosedive. The downside of that is that you have to inspect carefully because the REASON for the German car depreciation nosedive is dumbass people who thought they were buying a $50,000 Camry with a nice interior and elected to ignore maintenance and repairs.

Wagon, AWD, in the 250-300hp sweet spot, and the Allroads have a remarkably high towing capacity. The 6sp trans available in the Allroad is probably the strongest AWD trans ever put in a car. I'd prefer the 2.7t over the (shockingly more easy to find) 4.2 V8 because of personal issues.

The W8 was also available with a manual transmission but when you look up "Unicorn" in the automotive dictionary, it's used as a description. No picture, field researchers haven't been able to photograph one yet, but there are plenty of rumors that they are out there.

Disclaimer: I own not one but TWO Quantum Syncros, the 80s version of the VW duzitall. Best car ever, but getting parts is getting more difficult.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
11/1/14 9:13 a.m.

All of you have pretty much exclusively answered not the original question "is there a perfect car". But instead "is there a perfect sports car."

Cars are tools, the best answer is to have lots of different kinds of tools. I have 3. Wife's car is the family hauler and trailer tower.

I have a miata for fun and an old Buick for my boring drive to work 120 miles a day. There is no one vehicle that can come close to this range of duties.

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
11/1/14 9:43 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: All of you have pretty much exclusively answered not the original question "is there a perfect car". But instead "is there a perfect sports car." Cars are tools, the best answer is to have lots of different kinds of tools. I have 3. Wife's car is the family hauler and trailer tower. I have a miata for fun and an old Buick for my boring drive to work 120 miles a day. There is no one vehicle that can come close to this range of duties.

I think you hit it pretty good right there. And that's pretty much my problem is that I don't have the room for multiple cars at the moment, so finding that one car that can be miata like fun but yet eat up the daily commute with ease seems to be my car.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/1/14 9:49 a.m.

I think if you remove budget (and aesthetics) the Porsche Panamera is a solid contender. It gets rave reviews (from the drivers seat at least), is comfortable, fast, roomy, and has a biiig boot. Now if only they made them pretty.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
11/1/14 9:55 a.m.

The perfect car is not about what it can do, but rather how happy you are with it.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
11/1/14 9:58 a.m.

CTS-V wagon.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/14 10:07 a.m.

perfect for me is my avalanche - if i had to only have one vehicle.

i can carry my kids, be awesome in snow, tow my work trailer full of tools, the bed is usable. i'd be bored to death but it's perfect for my needs for a vehicle. i have a 5.3 and 4.10's so i could even go have fun being semi-quick for a 3 ton truck at the drag strip, at least it makes glorious noises doing so.

the definition of perfect car is different for ever person. for me - i just get one for every mood i can have in a given month, which is why i've got like 10 cars.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/1/14 10:35 a.m.
e23inGB wrote: My brother and I got in this yesterday after looking at a car. Does the perfect car exist? One that can do it all for X budget? We're trying to narrow down a vehicle for me next and it seems like not one single car can do it all in Wisconsin. Now, if there were no budget I'm sure this would be less of an issue, but does anyone else feel this way? (If I'm beating a dead horse with this topic just ignore me)

It seems like there is a lot of talk about a perfect car, but you expanded it to cover cars that can do it all.

Doing it all is easier.

I considered this question several months ago, and my answer was Subaru Baja. Modest off road ability, but low enough for modest on road performance. Roof rack and bed for cargo. Folding back seat for covered cargo. Seating for five for people schlepping. It tows.

Honorable mention for station wagons and compact crossovers.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b3OYjSnpVtkyx5gGRpp99qMqgz1qQqbC4s0MO1QOcLWSHGrekWc2IDnwlupK6U2U