CLynn85 Reader
Sept. 10, 2011 7:12 p.m.

Maybe I'm just a little off, but when I did my 115k mile oil change in my Tacoma this weekend, I noticed that I'm only one oil change away from running out of the maintenance guide at 120k. Is this normal?

I figured since it was a Toyota it'd go to 200k easily. Does that mean I've done all my maintenance I need to do and now I can just stop doing oil changes? Is it worn out after 120k and I need to trade it in?

If I had financed it for 5 years I wouldn't even be done paying for it yet and I've already filled up the maintenance guide, what gives?

Sept. 10, 2011 7:36 p.m.

It's just broken in, really. I think the others will tell you to check for rust and keep doing what you're doing. With simple maintenance and regular oil changes it should just keep going.

DrBoost SuperDork
Sept. 10, 2011 7:48 p.m.

I need to find out what the 285K maintenance is in the next few weeks

aussiesmg SuperDork
Sept. 10, 2011 7:56 p.m.

120k will get me between 18 months and 2 years.

Yep, you are done with all maintenance from this point on and will never need to add gasoline to the fuel tank again either

CLynn85 Reader
Sept. 10, 2011 8:09 p.m.

Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well.

I was more so poking fun at the guide only going up to 120k, and curious what was the average, since this is the only new car I've owned and ever taken the time to record every service in the book.

mad_machine SuperDork
Sept. 10, 2011 8:57 p.m.

you are asking what is normal Here?

erohslc Reader
Sept. 10, 2011 9:06 p.m.

Normal? What a concept.

corytate Reader
Sept. 10, 2011 9:08 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well. I was more so poking fun at the guide only going up to 120k, and curious what was the average, since this is the only new car I've owned and ever taken the time to record every service in the book.

thats very strange that a toyota only goes to 120k, we've had 400k mile tacomas come in in good shape.
one lady has a camry with 425k miles, bought it new and has ran nothing but supertech 10w30 and fram filters in it. lol

corytate Reader
Sept. 10, 2011 9:09 p.m.

recommended maintenance schedule for any french car only goes to 5000 miles.

jrw1621 SuperDork
Sept. 10, 2011 9:32 p.m.

Typical guides only go up till 100k or in your case 120k. Somewhere on the page will be a comment to the affect of, "for further mileage repeat through the schedule."

CLynn85 Reader
Sept. 10, 2011 11:26 p.m.
corytate wrote:
CLynn85 wrote: Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well. I was more so poking fun at the guide only going up to 120k, and curious what was the average, since this is the only new car I've owned and ever taken the time to record every service in the book.

thats very strange that a toyota only goes to 120k, we've had 400k mile tacomas come in in good shape.
one lady has a camry with 425k miles, bought it new and has ran nothing but supertech 10w30 and fram filters in it. lol

Argh... fail post, I was looking for average length of a maintenance guide, out of curiosity, not average how long my truck will last...

11110000 Reader
Sept. 11, 2011 7:00 a.m.

I don't think I've seen a guide go beyond 150K miles, and I drive Volvos, so that's saying something. I'm sure the poor service writer gets tired...

mad_machine SuperDork
Sept. 11, 2011 8:34 a.m.

hand cramps from writing in all the little boxes?

corytate Reader
Sept. 12, 2011 8:40 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote:
corytate wrote:
CLynn85 wrote: Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well. I was more so poking fun at the guide only going up to 120k, and curious what was the average, since this is the only new car I've owned and ever taken the time to record every service in the book.

thats very strange that a toyota only goes to 120k, we've had 400k mile tacomas come in in good shape.
one lady has a camry with 425k miles, bought it new and has ran nothing but supertech 10w30 and fram filters in it. lol

Argh... fail post, I was looking for average length of a maintenance guide, out of curiosity, not average how long my truck will last...

I know this, I was commenting that it was strange that a car that routinely sees 200k-300k miles would only have a guide up to 120k. just listed the cars above because I thought they were interesting

Sept. 12, 2011 9:02 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Ok, so apparently my sarcasm didn't come through very well.

My bad, I don't have the sarcasm drivers loaded. They interfere with things, ya know?

nocones HalfDork
Sept. 12, 2011 9:23 p.m.

My pontiac Vibe (toyota) says to just repeat the 60-120K service cycle (I think this is the values, it says to repeat some indefinately)

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

10 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

10 hours ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

12 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

13 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

14 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

16 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ceeLgZ55EJV3TG3e2STZNAM4kToLMjW3