1 2 3 ... 7
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/3/15 10:42 a.m.

Hey guys,

1989 RX-7 Turbo II, original owner, 50k miles, and otherwise clean, and good running car. Belongs to my friend who asked me to do some repairs on the rear brakes, and figure out why the power steering is leaking. I found this today when I decided I had some time to look it over.

I sent him a text asking what he wants to do, but in my opinion it require tons of professional repair. What do you guys think? Is it repairable? If so would you do it, or just try to find a clean chassis, and swap all the good parts from this onto it? FYI it is the drivers side front frame rail, and extends from the firewall to the bumper mount. Very busy area with all that attaches there.

Thanks,

Chris

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/15 10:47 a.m.

How does the rest look? I am thinking repair if this is the only bad spot. That looks like leaky master cylinder under or something else that ate all the paint away....

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
7/3/15 10:49 a.m.

Is it the only rotten spot? If there is more like that then its time to punt, if its the only bad spot then it may be worth fixing.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/3/15 11:24 a.m.

I think I am glad not to be in your spot.

I don't know about you, but every time I end up in that situation, I have some sad face individual looking at me with a "How are you going to get me out of this mess" look. And then it becomes my problem whether I do or I don't.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
7/3/15 11:52 a.m.

Ugh. Nope nope nope. If it's that bad right there, there's more of it elsewhere.

Good time to tube frame.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
7/3/15 12:16 p.m.

That's not true.... My Celica has one bad spot under the battery tray. Once fixed, my Celica will be 99% rust free.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/3/15 2:36 p.m.

I haven't inspected it thoroughly, but on the surface it looks like this is the only spot. It is really bad though. I wouldn't be able to fix it, but maybe a body shop could if they would even take on such a job. It really is sad because the car is otherwise nice aside from some door dings. I know the owner will be heart broken as he bought it new, but I guess this is what happens when you leave cars outside in new England, and possibly drive them in the winter (I don't know if he did or not). An 89 turbo 2 in black with black leather is a sweet ass car in my opinion. I would probably prefer the white, but this is a stunning car.

Chris

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/3/15 2:56 p.m.

The thing that sucks is, if I read the image right, that is where the front of the subframe mounts. I assume a battery leaked out and wrecked the body there.

To be honest, I'd rather do a chassis rail swap than an entire-vehicle swap. Especially with an FC which is reknowned for its brittle plastic and wiring harnesses. It might not exactly go back together the way it came apart.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/3/15 3:06 p.m.

Ugh that is a tough call

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/15 3:44 p.m.

Rebody all day long. FCs are available in the 100s that repair is in the 1000s.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/15 3:46 p.m.

Grind it back. Weld in some square tubing and plate. Paint.

Done.

Or go to a junkyard and cut off a frame rail from another rx7. Make tabs and weld in then plate.

If you do the prep work.... Removing battery and rad and swaybar and move the electrical aside I think you could do it without removing body panels.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/3/15 4:32 p.m.

The suspension cross member and engine mount in this same area as well. Very busy area. I'm not capable of repairing this.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
7/3/15 5:04 p.m.

If its truly the only bad spot I would say fix it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/3/15 8:26 p.m.

You have a message.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/15 1:36 a.m.

What others have said. If it is the only rust area I would fix it. Probibly look for one in a yard and sazall off what you need then set on jack stands and un do what needs to come apart. Prep and fit the new one and then weld in with some diamond gussets. Prime paint and rustoroof.

The bigger issue is what caused it. Leak in the master?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
7/4/15 6:18 a.m.

I had to do similar repairs to the chassis rails of my Miata a year , or two ago. I cut it back to good steel and replaced the bottom and sides of the box sections with pieces of 14 gauge plates. I welded the U-shape on the work bench and then plug welded the U in place on the frame. So far it looks good.The sway bar mounts had to be removed to make space and then were welded back in afterwards. On the Miata there wasn't much more in the way so it wasn't that hard to repair.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/15 7:27 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: That's not true.... My Celica has one bad spot under the battery tray. Once fixed, my Celica will be 99% rust free.

We have different rules for battery trays.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/15 7:31 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: An 89 turbo 2 in black with black leather is a sweet ass car in my opinion. I would probably prefer the white, but this is a stunning car.

Back when they were new, I used to live near Pete Townshend and I would occasionally see him driving around in a white Turbo II.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/4/15 7:34 a.m.

On the RX-7, you can hang the engine by a 2x4 across the strut towers, and it is maybe a dozen fasteners to remove the subframe (tie rods, ball joints, motor mounts, 4 subframe bolts, 4 sway bar bushing bolts, 1 steering shaft bolt, hoses if it is power steering) and then everything is right there. It's just a box channel that goes front to rear and everything else builds on it, and it is made of folded 22 gauge steel, nothing exotic.

Miatas are probably similar because they're the true second generation RX-7

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/4/15 10:57 p.m.

So I haven't heard from the owner of the car. Maybe I broke his heart with my message. How long do I have to wait before claiming the car and using the drive train in my REPU?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/15 11:04 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: An 89 turbo 2 in black with black leather is a sweet ass car in my opinion. I would probably prefer the white, but this is a stunning car.
Back when they were new, I used to live near Pete Townshend and I would occasionally see him driving around in a white Turbo II.

Who?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/4/15 11:16 p.m.

Who are you? Who, who, who who?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/15 11:24 p.m.

It's a TII yes? Fix it. If it was a regular NA it would be a parts car. You just don't see TIIs any more.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
7/5/15 5:23 a.m.

Make it sound worse than it is so you can purchase the car as a parts car. Then throw that driveline in the red truck. Glen still has some red paint left over from those two Miatas he flipped. If that truck sits there much longer, you know I'm going to claim it and throw that spare 4L Rover V8 in it. If you need me to take a look at the rust on it, I'll be around. Give me a shout. My daughter and I will be working on that cage for the TR8 coupe today.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/5/15 1:27 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Or go to a junkyard and cut off a frame rail from another rx7. Make tabs and weld in then plate. If you do the prep work.... Removing battery and rad and swaybar and move the electrical aside I think you could do it without removing body panels.

This. If the rest of the car is solid and the battery made that mess, it's easier to repair the frame rail than to rebody. By chance is this a 10AE (10th Anniversary Edition)? If so, you DEFINITELY do NOT want to rebody; 10AE's are becoming sought after and the VIN is important.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a2ozB1ouhObzYOcsBoO5mvG8WqTNwpsiut1SYLtAQKQm7Tt3179rmkhpSyBPJX2B