Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Not that I need this headache right now, but...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2745611422.html

Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Eh, forget the totalled vanilla Miata, THIS is more like it!!!

Donebrokeit Reader
Dec. 14, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Not a bad buy in price, might have to look at the frame to see how bad it is bent.

Paul B

noddaz Reader
Dec. 14, 2011 4:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Eh, forget the totalled vanilla Miata, THIS is more like it!!! </blockquote That Mustang is almost likable...
fasted58 SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:50 p.m.

buy one of each

Vigo SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Miata is a lot more interesting.. because the price is low for what it is.

The mustang is just.. right, to a few hundred over priced..

I mean sure it's a stock 5.0 and that's got some kind of rarity factor..

But on the other hand i beat a stock 5.0 just like that from 80-110 mph 3 times in a row in this stock dodge dynasty. That was in like 02. hahah

belteshazzar SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 5:20 p.m.

irrelevent

miataman86 New Reader
Dec. 16, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Anytime I see a wrecked Miata, its just depresses me a little

dean1484 SuperDork
Dec. 17, 2011 8:39 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Not that I need this headache right now, but... http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2745611422.html

At first that car looked like and easy fix BUT then I started looking closer and it looks like the rocker panels are bowed out. Also look at the rear door gaps. The driver side is a lot smaller than the passenger side. This makes it potentially a much bigger problem to fix. I suspect that that thing is bent a lot worse than the seller knows / is telling you in the add. For $1,500 I would consider it.. . . maybe. In my book the asking price is way to much.

You would be in to it for $1,500-$2,000 just for the fram machien time.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
Dec. 17, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Locust donor?

The_Jed Reader
Dec. 17, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I'd say the price is a bit high on the Fox.

You'd have to upgrade quite a few things to make a fun toy out of it. It has the roller cam but it also has : (if I remember correctly) 8.4:1 compression, a two-piece rear main seal, a thin wall block, itty bitty brakes, the 10" clutch and worst of all the 7.5" rear.

That being said a guy at work picked up an '83 (I think) Mustang with faded paint, supposedly 50,000 original miles and an aftermarket, rumbly exhaust that gives me a nearly terminal case of the wants.

novaderrik Dork
Dec. 17, 2011 10:58 a.m.

that mustang is about right for the price- maybe offer $1500 just because that's how it works.. it has nothing but potential with a few easy upgrades that could be done fairly cheap over a period of months without any lengthy downtime..

swap in an 8.8 out of a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for the durability and better gears, swap in some Ranger 5 lug brake rotors in the front and Aerostar 5 lug axles and drums in the back to open up the wheel choices.. throw the stock exhaust- manifolds to talipipes- in the dumpster and put some full length headers and a Flowmaster kit with an X pipe in it's place. then you move on to engine mods- swap on some lightly ported (AIR bumps removed from the exhaust and gasket match the intakes) E7 heads with an E303 cam, replace the intake with a Performer RPM and the carb with a Holley 3310 and it would be a fun and reliable car with a total investment in the area of $3500 including the purchase price of the car.

one of my friends has the car i just described- except it's an 89 notch that came stock with a 4 cylinder and auto and now has a 302 out of an 88 Marquis with the engine parts i just listed backed by a T5 out of a 95 5.0 Mustang with 4.10 gears.. that thing has a pretty good fun/dollar ratio going on and he hasn't changed a thing on it in the 7 years since we put it together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

11 hours ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

12 hours ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

16 hours ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

What Was the Most Powerful Car at the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day?

16 hours ago in News

What if we told you it was an Audi?

Up to the Challenge

3 days ago in Articles

Torque: It's how Glen Bunch's vintage Dodge keeps pace with today's machines.

This Friday: The Ultimate Track Car Showdown

4 days ago in News

Come watch some of the country’s top track cars duke it out for fame, glory and some tasty prizes.

You Need This: Metallic Brown Toyota Celica

4 days ago in News

This looks a lot like one that we had in our fleet back in the day.

GRM Live Tonight: Learn to Drive VIR With Pro Driver Mike Skeen

5 days ago in News

Want to learn to drive Virginia International Raceway from a pro?

Are V6 Mustangs Fun, Too?

5 days ago in News

Can a V6 Mustang be just as much fun as a V8-powered car?

Our Miata Needs a New Engine

5 days ago in Project Cars

Our Mazda racer heads to Treasure Coast Miata for a new heart.

Mercedes-Benz 500 E: Like a Drug

6 days ago in Articles

Many of us dream about the perfect Q-ship. Mercedes-Benz rolled one right out of the factory.

Meet the GRM Crew at Carlisle This Weekend

6 days ago in News

We’re loading up the van, and tomorrow morning we make tracks for Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
DMk9YQOJplQRgY8OgWW8JXpDCRAs4lPg