Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Not that I need this headache right now, but...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2745611422.html

Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Eh, forget the totalled vanilla Miata, THIS is more like it!!!

Donebrokeit Reader
Dec. 14, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Not a bad buy in price, might have to look at the frame to see how bad it is bent.

Paul B

noddaz Reader
Dec. 14, 2011 4:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Eh, forget the totalled vanilla Miata, THIS is more like it!!! </blockquote That Mustang is almost likable...
fasted58 SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:50 p.m.

buy one of each

Vigo SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Miata is a lot more interesting.. because the price is low for what it is.

The mustang is just.. right, to a few hundred over priced..

I mean sure it's a stock 5.0 and that's got some kind of rarity factor..

But on the other hand i beat a stock 5.0 just like that from 80-110 mph 3 times in a row in this stock dodge dynasty. That was in like 02. hahah

belteshazzar SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 5:20 p.m.

irrelevent

miataman86 New Reader
Dec. 16, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Anytime I see a wrecked Miata, its just depresses me a little

dean1484 SuperDork
Dec. 17, 2011 8:39 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Not that I need this headache right now, but... http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2745611422.html

At first that car looked like and easy fix BUT then I started looking closer and it looks like the rocker panels are bowed out. Also look at the rear door gaps. The driver side is a lot smaller than the passenger side. This makes it potentially a much bigger problem to fix. I suspect that that thing is bent a lot worse than the seller knows / is telling you in the add. For $1,500 I would consider it.. . . maybe. In my book the asking price is way to much.

You would be in to it for $1,500-$2,000 just for the fram machien time.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
Dec. 17, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Locust donor?

The_Jed Reader
Dec. 17, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I'd say the price is a bit high on the Fox.

You'd have to upgrade quite a few things to make a fun toy out of it. It has the roller cam but it also has : (if I remember correctly) 8.4:1 compression, a two-piece rear main seal, a thin wall block, itty bitty brakes, the 10" clutch and worst of all the 7.5" rear.

That being said a guy at work picked up an '83 (I think) Mustang with faded paint, supposedly 50,000 original miles and an aftermarket, rumbly exhaust that gives me a nearly terminal case of the wants.

novaderrik Dork
Dec. 17, 2011 10:58 a.m.

that mustang is about right for the price- maybe offer $1500 just because that's how it works.. it has nothing but potential with a few easy upgrades that could be done fairly cheap over a period of months without any lengthy downtime..

swap in an 8.8 out of a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for the durability and better gears, swap in some Ranger 5 lug brake rotors in the front and Aerostar 5 lug axles and drums in the back to open up the wheel choices.. throw the stock exhaust- manifolds to talipipes- in the dumpster and put some full length headers and a Flowmaster kit with an X pipe in it's place. then you move on to engine mods- swap on some lightly ported (AIR bumps removed from the exhaust and gasket match the intakes) E7 heads with an E303 cam, replace the intake with a Performer RPM and the carb with a Holley 3310 and it would be a fun and reliable car with a total investment in the area of $3500 including the purchase price of the car.

one of my friends has the car i just described- except it's an 89 notch that came stock with a 4 cylinder and auto and now has a 302 out of an 88 Marquis with the engine parts i just listed backed by a T5 out of a 95 5.0 Mustang with 4.10 gears.. that thing has a pretty good fun/dollar ratio going on and he hasn't changed a thing on it in the 7 years since we put it together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

1 day ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

2 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

2 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

3 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

3 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 days ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

3 days ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

4 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

4 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
OPZ7VQ8krMMCWl6rMevZW7T5PaP01bIq