Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:21 p.m.

Not that I need this headache right now, but...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2745611422.html

Javelin SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Eh, forget the totalled vanilla Miata, THIS is more like it!!!

Donebrokeit Reader
Dec. 14, 2011 4:25 p.m.

Not a bad buy in price, might have to look at the frame to see how bad it is bent.

Paul B

noddaz Reader
Dec. 14, 2011 4:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Eh, forget the totalled vanilla Miata, THIS is more like it!!! </blockquote That Mustang is almost likable...
fasted58 SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:50 p.m.

buy one of each

Vigo SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 4:58 p.m.

Miata is a lot more interesting.. because the price is low for what it is.

The mustang is just.. right, to a few hundred over priced..

I mean sure it's a stock 5.0 and that's got some kind of rarity factor..

But on the other hand i beat a stock 5.0 just like that from 80-110 mph 3 times in a row in this stock dodge dynasty. That was in like 02. hahah

belteshazzar SuperDork
Dec. 14, 2011 5:20 p.m.

irrelevent

miataman86 New Reader
Dec. 16, 2011 1:15 p.m.

Anytime I see a wrecked Miata, its just depresses me a little

dean1484 SuperDork
Dec. 17, 2011 8:39 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Not that I need this headache right now, but... http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2745611422.html

At first that car looked like and easy fix BUT then I started looking closer and it looks like the rocker panels are bowed out. Also look at the rear door gaps. The driver side is a lot smaller than the passenger side. This makes it potentially a much bigger problem to fix. I suspect that that thing is bent a lot worse than the seller knows / is telling you in the add. For $1,500 I would consider it.. . . maybe. In my book the asking price is way to much.

You would be in to it for $1,500-$2,000 just for the fram machien time.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
Dec. 17, 2011 10:04 a.m.

Locust donor?

The_Jed Reader
Dec. 17, 2011 10:18 a.m.

I'd say the price is a bit high on the Fox.

You'd have to upgrade quite a few things to make a fun toy out of it. It has the roller cam but it also has : (if I remember correctly) 8.4:1 compression, a two-piece rear main seal, a thin wall block, itty bitty brakes, the 10" clutch and worst of all the 7.5" rear.

That being said a guy at work picked up an '83 (I think) Mustang with faded paint, supposedly 50,000 original miles and an aftermarket, rumbly exhaust that gives me a nearly terminal case of the wants.

novaderrik Dork
Dec. 17, 2011 10:58 a.m.

that mustang is about right for the price- maybe offer $1500 just because that's how it works.. it has nothing but potential with a few easy upgrades that could be done fairly cheap over a period of months without any lengthy downtime..

swap in an 8.8 out of a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for the durability and better gears, swap in some Ranger 5 lug brake rotors in the front and Aerostar 5 lug axles and drums in the back to open up the wheel choices.. throw the stock exhaust- manifolds to talipipes- in the dumpster and put some full length headers and a Flowmaster kit with an X pipe in it's place. then you move on to engine mods- swap on some lightly ported (AIR bumps removed from the exhaust and gasket match the intakes) E7 heads with an E303 cam, replace the intake with a Performer RPM and the carb with a Holley 3310 and it would be a fun and reliable car with a total investment in the area of $3500 including the purchase price of the car.

one of my friends has the car i just described- except it's an 89 notch that came stock with a 4 cylinder and auto and now has a 302 out of an 88 Marquis with the engine parts i just listed backed by a T5 out of a 95 5.0 Mustang with 4.10 gears.. that thing has a pretty good fun/dollar ratio going on and he hasn't changed a thing on it in the 7 years since we put it together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

2 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

2 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

3 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

4 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

4 days ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

4 days ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

5 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

6 days ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

Chris Albin’s Flying VW Golf: What Really Happened?

1 week ago in News

What really happened to send Chris Albin's VW Golf flying?

Drive Cars From the Lane Motor Museum Collection

1 week ago in News

Love older, maybe slightly weirder cars? This event is for you.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
5VZGzzz9K124eSVyOvjYd4X1KsvVp7cl